Considering a hoe, very slow hydraulics

/ Considering a hoe, very slow hydraulics
Sorry to hear that. My wife is hands on and watches every dime, especially since I got laid off a month ago. Spring is approaching rapidly, and I need something to take care of tree's that came down or are coming down. Trying to keep costs at a minimum, so if this can do the job, and stay on for future projects, it'll be worth my while, but hydraulics on this scale are new to me and don't want to get in over my head. Never had something just stop moving, while others were fine.

/ Considering a hoe, very slow hydraulics #12  
You will have a learning curve . It could be a cheap fix , it could be expensive . You could buy something better for more and still spend less .

/ Considering a hoe, very slow hydraulics
That's true, just a bit harder to justify the up front cost to the better half. It's less noticeable when it's $40 here, $100 there for misc parts. The goal is to be able to use it while I fix it up.

/ Considering a hoe, very slow hydraulics #14  
fatjay I use too own one almost like that one it was a 59 310 case.. very gd unit always started good it did the same thing frt bucket work good but the hoe was very slow .. it was the pump mine was 19gpm and its a gear pump.. I had a company from Pittsburgh make me anew pump I had them make it 21 gpm ... the company name is national hydraulic there in Scottsdale pa. but there should beone around u closer... good luck the new pump was 350.00 back in 93

/ Considering a hoe, very slow hydraulics #15  
I also own the grandson of that machine a 580 CK. I needed to have the boom cylinder rebuilt as it would not extend. Cost $200. Mine has a quick connect on the pressure side between the FEL valve and the backhoe valve. You may want to check that to see if it has one and that it is correctly connected. I also just got done rebuilding the linkage for the foot controls. Not much cost, lots of time. I promise you will spend at least twice what you pay for the machine to get it into shape. The hydraulic pump is pretty bomb proof. I replaced mine as the input shaft seal was leaking.

Have a good look at the cooling system on the motor. That was a $600 ticket to rebuild the radiator that was leaking and all but plugged with years of dirt.

Good luck.

/ Considering a hoe, very slow hydraulics #16  
$1800, which is a good price, assuming I can get it up to speed without dropping another 3-4k, in which case I could have bought something ready to roll.

I don't mind working, I like to tinker to save a few bucks and learn in the process. I don't think I've bought anything "ready to roll" in quite some time, but it was always something I could use while I was fixing. With the hydraulics in this shape, I'm not convinced I could move a stump if it can't even pull up it's own boom.

Are you looking for a new project? :laughing:

Take the $1800, go to the nearest JD dealer and buy yourself a new/used 3pt hitch backhoe on financing if you must.

Depending on what you want to do. Buy a tool to do some digging, or buy a tool to play with it and maybe dig some, then fix some more.

Rebuilds are fun but take time and money.