Buying Advice Considering a new tractor for chicken house work, brush hogging, and brush removal.

/ Considering a new tractor for chicken house work, brush hogging, and brush removal. #11  
So im getting this search narrrowed down. Still need to drive em both but I like the JD 5085m but i
am concerned about the Tier 4 and it doesnt have any ground speeds lower than 1.18 mph while the T4050 NH is Tier 3 and the 16x16 trans has 3 speeds below 1 mph and has 10 more hp for basically the same price as the JD. Am i too concerned about the tier 4? I am upgrading from a 2240 JD so i will probably be happy with anything i get. lol

My 5085M goes .5/.6 mph idle. That speed is at full throttle I'm guessing.

Don't have a clue which loader is the easiest to remove/replace but suggest you try this feature out for yourself to make the determination. Salesmen always say theirs is best.

Curious how slow you feel you need to go at rated engine speed and what you will be doing?

I see that jdbnh the NH salesman is back ;)

/ Considering a new tractor for chicken house work, brush hogging, and brush removal.
Can't speak about the other brands buy depending on the power you need at the pto you can use the optional economy pto on the 5085 M which will give you 540 at 1645 engine rpm's. That should reduce your ground speed to .924 mph. IIRC that reduces your pto hp to about 70% though. Don't know how hard the litter is to till but I can till thick sod that is root bound at 1.4 mph with 50 pto hp with a 72" tiller. On the second pass I can usually run 1.8 to 2.0 mph. With the 5085 I doubt you would have trouble with any of it in 1st gear, probably faster in most cases.

Curious if you have tested the power output of the 2240 recently? Could be worn enough to be loosing power.

I haven't ever thought of testing the power. Its plenty worn tho. I did some looking thru the tech manual i have today and found that the 2240 makes 540 rpm at the pto at 2075 engine rpms. After reading further it states that it makes 50 hp at 2500 rpms. I hardly ever run it above 2100 rpm so i've only been getting a little over 40 hp this whole time 2075/2500 = .83. 50hp x .83 = 41.5hp. Dont know if the math works out exactly like that but bottom line is I havent been getting the hp I thought i was.

The tiller used in the chicken houses has different tines than your average garden tillers. They are flat with a curvature towards the end and are made to pulverize the caked litter. The litter is usually 8"-12" deep and the cake can be 3"-6" thick and has a lot of moisture. The litter tillers really work a tractor, especially one like mine anyway.

I think the economy pto is a real nice feature to have and it may end up being one of the deciding factors for me. Really the only other tractor I'm seriously looking at is a NH T4050 and they don't offer 540e, on that model anyway. Whichever way I go I'll be getting 24" rear tires so that should slow me down even more.

/ Considering a new tractor for chicken house work, brush hogging, and brush removal.
Edward. S

Yep, 1.18 mph is at 2200rpm with the 16.9-30 R1 rears. And thats the slowest you can go at 2200 rpm whether you get the 16/16 or 32/16 according to my salesman.

I see that jdbnh the NH salesman is back ;)[/QUOTE]

I wished that NH salesman was closer, hes about 10% cheaper than here at home. :eek:

/ Considering a new tractor for chicken house work, brush hogging, and brush removal. #14  
Have you considered adding the creeper function? If you do this with the 32/16 tranny you would have 16 speeds between .18 and 1 mph. That should solve your probleme with low ground speeds.

Have you considered adding the creeper function? If you do this with the 32/16 tranny you would have 16 speeds between .18 and 1 mph. That should solve your probleme with low ground speeds.

I have thought about the creeper but its a $2500 addition and the salesman told me you can't get the creeper with the 32/16. I'm starting to think it might be better to just buy more horsepower rather than slower gears. Surely, if I had a 5115ml it would have enough power that I wouldn't have to worry about my speed. :thumbsup:

/ Considering a new tractor for chicken house work, brush hogging, and brush removal. #16  
I have thought about the creeper but its a $2500 addition and the salesman told me you can't get the creeper with the 32/16. I'm starting to think it might be better to just buy more horsepower rather than slower gears. Surely, if I had a 5115ml it would have enough power that I wouldn't have to worry about my speed. :thumbsup:

Before posting I looked up the owners manual on line and it seems all three transmissions are available with the creeper. That is where I got the speed information posted above. You might want to check with Deere on this to find out for certain, it is in the manual for whatever that is worth. I don't know but when I am buying a new tractor or expensive implement I usually am more familiar with it than the salesman is. It is my money on the line so it matters more to me I guess.

/ Considering a new tractor for chicken house work, brush hogging, and brush removal. #18  

Just get the 5115ML then! :laughing: It has the power you need and you can finish your jobs faster.

If not you can look around for used a 6000 series open station tractor

/ Considering a new tractor for chicken house work, brush hogging, and brush removal. #19  
Just get the 5115ML then! :laughing: It has the power you need and you can finish your jobs faster.

If not you can look around for used a 6000 series open station tractor

I'm thinking if I was to have to ride the tractor to pulverize the chicken litter a pressurized cab comes to mind along with a case of Febreeze.:laughing:

/ Considering a new tractor for chicken house work, brush hogging, and brush removal. #20  
I'm thinking if I was to have to ride the tractor to pulverize the chicken litter a pressurized cab comes to mind along with a case of Febreeze.:laughing:

Or like one of those febreeze things that sprays every 10-30 minutes and have it set on 10 minutes. :laughing: Or have two going off at 5 minute intervals.

And one question, will a cab tractor. fit in your chicken houses? Say 10ft high doorways, and plus a 53,000 used tractor can be very nice still.

Last edited: