Considering a New Tractor. Which?

/ Considering a New Tractor. Which? #1  

Johnkn

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota LX3310
I had a Craftsman (built by Husqvarna) 48"/Kohler riding mower for 15 years that was the best tractor I've owned in my 62 years. With the high-lift blades for the bagger, it sounded like a helicopter and picked up everything in its path and left a superior cut. When It expired I purchased a new JD380X with bagger and side mount belt drive device. I've used it 1 year and absolutely hate it. While there are no high-lift blades specifically listed specifically for it, I ordered a set of JD blades that fit, performance was only a little better. The issue is that is little deck suction compared to my last tractor. It does a poor job and leaves leaves behind, and where my old tractor would basically pick up everything in its path, this seldom picks up even the smallest twigs, even something as small as a #2 pencil or snaller gets left behind and the grass almost looks matted after I mow, like there's little vacuum pulling up the grass to be cut. I'm done with this thing.

A 48" deck is fine, is there a Husqvarna that will deliver a superior cut with high vacuum? I'm disappointed with their site, it doesn't show tires sizes, etc that I can find. I'm not concerned with cost, just looking for the best tractor, best vacuum/cut with a triple bagger. I don't really need anything considered ground engaging (have a BX25-D TLB) unless it delivers the best performance. Suggestions?
thank you....

/ Considering a New Tractor. Which? #2  
I had a Craftsman (built by Husqvarna) 48"/Kohler riding mower for 15 years that was the best tractor I've owned in my 62 years. With the high-lift blades for the bagger, it sounded like a helicopter and picked up everything in its path and left a superior cut. When It expired I purchased a new JD380X with bagger and side mount belt drive device. I've used it 1 year and absolutely hate it. While there are no high-lift blades specifically listed specifically for it, I ordered a set of JD blades that fit, performance was only a little better. The issue is that is little deck suction compared to my last tractor. It does a poor job and leaves leaves behind, and where my old tractor would basically pick up everything in its path, this seldom picks up even the smallest twigs, even something as small as a #2 pencil or snaller gets left behind and the grass almost looks matted after I mow, like there's little vacuum pulling up the grass to be cut. I'm done with this thing.

A 48" deck is fine, is there a Husqvarna that will deliver a superior cut with high vacuum? I'm disappointed with their site, it doesn't show tires sizes, etc that I can find. I'm not concerned with cost, just looking for the best tractor, best vacuum/cut with a triple bagger. I don't really need anything considered ground engaging (have a BX25-D TLB) unless it delivers the best performance. Suggestions?
thank you....

Well, as a vintage enthusiast, and bearing in mind you need a small tractor, I think that the MF 35 / 135 could be for you. My 135 is so reliable, it starts on the button after 3 winter months in a shed! If that’s not good for a 50 yr old tractor, I don’t know what is! These tractors might be too big, but they are good, reliable, BULLETPROOF machines.

Good luck!

/ Considering a New Tractor. Which? #3  
I'm probably not the guy to recommend mowers, especially since just about everything I have that uses fuel is 'orange', i.e. Husqvarna and Kubota. If I had to re-buy again today, like you, I'm not sure what brand or model to buy. Too many to choose from, and many are clones selling for different prices. Even within the same brands, there are good models and bad models.

BUT - I will tell you that the fabricated decks do not perform as good a the formed/stamped decks. I have both. Sure - the fab decks are good and strong; I think they're about 11ga steel. Great for mowing everything up to small trees. In my case, rocks. But they don't allow the mower to cut as smoothly as the fab decks. YMMV.

/ Considering a New Tractor. Which? #4  

thank you....
I have an 8 year old Craftsman and it mows like yours. It also has the hi-lift blades and picks up everything. My Craftsman was built by MTD which you will find in 20 different brand names, from Cub Cadet to Troy Built to Craftsman, etc.

/ Considering a New Tractor. Which? #5  
Last year Husqvarna produced a limited run of a 48" Kawasaki-powered model with a manual locking differential (GT48DXLS). It had their Clear Cut fabricated deck. I was fortunate enough to be in the market at the time, and got one. Wonderful machine - climbs like a mountain goat, handles great, cuts great, and has incredible lift and airflow. I ended up putting a mulch plug in it because it would throw clippings 20-25' out the chute.

The new model that shares those features is Husqvarna Riding Lawn Mowers TS 348XD .

/ Considering a New Tractor. Which? #7  
Last year Husqvarna produced a limited run of a 48" Kawasaki-powered model with a manual locking differential (GT48DXLS). It had their Clear Cut fabricated deck. I was fortunate enough to be in the market at the time, and got one. Wonderful machine - climbs like a mountain goat, handles great, cuts great, and has incredible lift and airflow. I ended up putting a mulch plug in it because it would throw clippings 20-25' out the chute.

The new model that shares those features is Husqvarna Riding Lawn Mowers TS 348XD .

Looks like you can option out a TS348D very similarly to a TS348XD, and have it come out a little cheaper. Tires and styling seem to be the major differences. Engine options are Kohler and Kawasaki.

My mother needs a new mower and I started reading about this unicorn (GT48DXLS) that was produced last year. Discovered that the 348s are very similar.

Last edited:
   / Considering a New Tractor. Which? #8  
For my use, the ability to engage/disengage the locking differential with a switch is critical. I use the GT48DXLS as a mower on steep inclines, cutting grass, weeds, and even brush. Even with the stock turf tires, it will climb very steep slopes. When I wear out the rear tires, I will replace the turf tires with something more aggressive, but it goes everywhere I need to go as it is. My wife LOVES the machine, and she takes an hour to mow what used to take us two days with string trimmers.

If you are not mowing slopes, a lesser machine will do fine.

/ Considering a New Tractor. Which?
Thanks all. It doesn't appear that the GT48dxls is no longer made, I was looking at their LGT48dxl, hard to tell the differences from their site.

/ Considering a New Tractor. Which? #10