Considering Small Side By Side, Gator 550, Polaris Ranger 400/500? Any Thoughts?

/ Considering Small Side By Side, Gator 550, Polaris Ranger 400/500? Any Thoughts?
I was looking at one of the 800's when I bought mine. The salesman told me it's just about like a rocket.

It is! I went to another Polaris dealer yesterday and the salesman had me hop in a Ranger 800 and took me to one of their other warehouses to look at a 500. He floored it and off we went :eek: . Keep in mind I'm coming from a 13.5 hp Mule! Anyway they had a new green 500 Ranger there not assembled yet, he made me a fair deal so they're delivering it Friday. :cool2:

/ Considering Small Side By Side, Gator 550, Polaris Ranger 400/500? Any Thoughts? #12  
You made a good decision. In another thread I stated that I feel the 500 EFI Ranger mid-size is the best deal in that UV out there. I have a Gator now (825I) which I really like, but I am looking for a small UV to replace my dad's 825 which I will likely sell. He is older and has mild dementia and the 825 is simply too much for him right now to operate. There is no question the Polaris 500 is the better machine between it and the 550 Gator. The Gator has a lawn mower engine (literally) and has 16 HP. It has a pull choke (a no go for me). The Ranger, for similar money, is about the same size, has fuel injection and 32 HP with a speed key to use for my dad. Having owned an 800 EPS Ranger full size, I can say my experience is the additional power of the 800 is nice, but not really perceptible until top end, where very few of us spend much time. The single cylinder engine in the 500 is bulletproof, very common and extremely reliable. You will be happy with your purchase and I suspect no one commented about the 550 because they are not really a valid comparison for the machine you purchased. Picture when you get it for us?

John M

/ Considering Small Side By Side, Gator 550, Polaris Ranger 400/500? Any Thoughts?
You made a good decision...... You will be happy with your purchase and I suspect no one commented about the 550 because they are not really a valid comparison for the machine you purchased. Picture when you get it for us?

John M

Thanks John you made some good points. So far I've only driven it an hour but I'm really liking the power, suspension (ride quality) and additional ground clearance over the little Mule. I just hope it turns out to be as reliable.

IMG_0258.jpg

Thanks. I'm liking this machine more every this I use it.

/ Considering Small Side By Side, Gator 550, Polaris Ranger 400/500? Any Thoughts? #16  
[/ATTACH]quad withwindshield.jpgpolaris windshield.jpgOne of the best upgrades is to make a windshield for it. I bought a sheet of Lexan at Lowes for 68.00 and used 1 1/2 EMT clips to bolt it to the rollbar. Sure is nice cruising at 30 MPH on a cold day with no wind chill in your face.

Good job and for a great price too! I'm debating whether to get a windshield I was even considering the short one. I will probably ride it w/o the roof or windshield 80% of the time though. I just like how much quieter they are w/o them.

/ Considering Small Side By Side, Gator 550, Polaris Ranger 400/500? Any Thoughts? #18  
The half windshield is probably the way to go. Once you put a Full windshield on then you need a rear window so the dust doesn't get sucked in. I also made a rear window for it and it helped considerably with the dust problem. You are right though. It is a little noisier with the winshield and rear window. It sure is nice though when it is 35 degrees and raining....

/ Considering Small Side By Side, Gator 550, Polaris Ranger 400/500? Any Thoughts? #19  
I have some friends who have used the heat shrink film available at hardware stores designed to be used on windows to seal them. Works very well and will last all season.