Considering the TC

/ Considering the TC #1  

jabbahop

Tractor
2007 Toolcat Turbo C series
I am considering getting a Toolcat for work around our property.
1) long and very steep dirt driveway maintenance - dirt and snow
2) trail and property maint (downed trees, etc.)
3) gardening and landscaping stuff

A couple of questions for the group

1) I don't expect to put tons of hours on the machine - what do people think about used vs new and what should one avoid for in a used machine?
2) how are these on logging trails, hills, and muddy and uneven terrain?
3) In vermont which snow removal attachment works best (plow, vplow or blower? I am assuming the v-plow but wanted others views
4) we have lots more woods than grass on the property (have a 10 acre pasture but that gets grazed by cattle) - should I just stick with our z-mower or spring for the mower attachment - seems like overkill for us.

Disappointed to find out that there are no TC's available until the new series comes out (February) - hope they don't go up in price much.

thanks all.

/ Considering the TC #2  
TC sounds ideal for your situation. the v-plow should be fine if you have room to push the snow. Blower works better if you need to move it elsewhere.

I would not buy a used machine myself, but I count on mine to make a living and don't want to deal with someone elses problems. Just around the house i would consider a used machine.

The z mower should be fine for all the small areas (even acres) the TC mower and machine seems a little heavy for the home lawn.

Good luck
Dylan

/ Considering the TC #3  
2 things to consider.

1) If you can find a low hr used machine at a dealer and they can demonstrate that all updates and field modifications have been done, I woul certainly consider it. Used can be had at huge savings over new and if all the little glitches are taken care they can be a real bargain. I could do a lot with the $10-15K saved over new. Not that you shouldn't buy new if you want to :).

2) I say this with some reservations..but if you rule out attachmnets with higher demand hydraulic motors (mowers and snowblowers etc). A non turbo machine is not a stupid thing to do. You can still use grapples, augers and plows both V and straight.

/ Considering the TC #4  
I bought a used 'A' model with 230+ hours early in 2006. I think it had 465 hours on it when I did the 500 hour service a few weeks ago. The bulk of my hours are from mowing and grapple work. That was the primary use by the original owner as well.

Attachments are expensive. Finding a used one with attachments may save you quite a bit. Mine came with the utility grapple, 72" finish style mower, 66" snowblower and a standard bucket. The 'A' model handles these attachments well. Also, I built a hydraulic pincher that I use for pulling trees and fence posts.

dsb

/ Considering the TC #5  
welcome,

plow fastest
blower best if no where to push snow ($$$)
bucket works excellent around buildings/doors

plow on a truck faster for straight long stretches,
tc trumps around buildings/doors

/ Considering the TC
Thanks to all for your advice.

I was able to find a dealer's last Turbo an hour and a half away with cab/heat/AC for a pretty good price so I went for it.

Adding a new V-plow for $2.1K (nice promotion that they were running) and the bucket. I'll see how the bucket works on road maintenance before getting another attachment. Hopefully I don't kick myself when the new version comes out but it seems like a nice unit as it is and I am not likely to be a real hard core user anyway. May be doing some neighbor's driveways for the fun of it ;-)

Thanks again.