considering trading-in 3520 for 748

/ considering trading-in 3520 for 748 #11  
that'd work too! he may not be happy with performance in the downgraded machine after using that brute.

/ considering trading-in 3520 for 748 #12  
JiminGa said:
that'd work too! he may not be happy with performance in the downgraded machine after using that brute.

Yeah, it would be different if he never had it and didn't have his ZTR.

Not having a tractor can really suck. Some people say the dishwasher was the best invention ever. I think the front end loader is!

D.

/ considering trading-in 3520 for 748 #13  
Right down my alley. This weekend, I took my 3720 down to my dealer to sell it for me. I nearly cried (really). After looking at my current needs I was in the same position as our OP. I really did not need a tractor of the size and expense of the 3720, as most of my big projects are done (with the 3720). I do not know how I will fare without one, so I suspect this will not be my last tractor (everyone here knows this). My opinion is this: an X series machine is a fantastic small machine. It will not, though, duplicate the hydraulic performance of even the smallest JD compact the 2305. I see an X series being the machine of choice to replace the ZTR and do the duties of a small tractor. It would fare well at this. I think the 2305 is a great machine, but for just a bit more money, one could get a 2320 which has a full cat one hitch, heavier build, and larger tires. It is more of a true tractor and likely would mow well too, especially with a RFM. The 2520 is a great machine, but as I have mentioned in the past in my opinion it is too closely priced to a lower end 3000 series machine. For those that just need that frame size it is a great choice, but I suspect our OP would just have a "nearly as expensive" machine sitting in his garage that he still might not wish to use mowing, although it does a great job. I hear that JD is coming out with a 2720 which would be great, but I do not see it in my dealer's guide for 2008. I vote for a 2320 if any change at all.

John M

/ considering trading-in 3520 for 748 #14  
The way I see it, the OP already said that he has priced the 748 package and it comes in at almost the same as his 3520. Now he gets a machine that he can mow with but he already has a ZTR and as he has surmised, a machine that in no ways has the durability or longevity of the 3520. Sounds like he likes the big machine but would like to be able to mow and not tear up the turf.

Option 1: Trade tractor as he states but this will not be a more economical option because you will be paying tax, etc on new purchase and you will lose on your trade-in due to depreciation and the fact that dealer needs to make money on the sale side as well. For this, you get a tractor that can mow but again is not as durable and does not have the hydraulic capability etc when needed. The 3520 is so much more versatile that lesser machines simply can't be equalled (except mowing) for tasks such as chipping, backhoe use, moving and stacking pallets around (with pallet forks), lifting equipment off pickup truck (loader), moving dirt (loader/box blade), etc, etc. And if you don't go all the way down to the 748 series, then you get a tractor that is much less tractor than 3520 but probably at not that lower price.

Better Option: Problem for Original Poster; said he does not mow with 3520 because it tears up the lawn while he is running R-4's. Solution: Install Turf Tires, much better suited for mowing tasks. They will cost money but they are available. He wants 7 iron mower, already available from John Deere for this tractor. Remove loader while mowing to lighten tractor and improve manueverability. If better cut is desired, there are 3-pt finish mowers available in many different sizes and styles.

Given the OP's needs and wants, I simply believe there is no one-size-fits-all solution. If he has never purchased the 3520, the decision would be so much more simpler. As it were, any time you make a trade you will take a financial hit. He has to balance what is important to him and make his own decision. Personally, I wouldn't want to take a downgrade on tractor for even money, especially if I've already grown accustomed to it's abilities. Rather, I would supplement my equipment to fulfill the additional tasks required (OP already has ZTR).

/ considering trading-in 3520 for 748 #15  
hpc said:
Galaxies won't fit the 3520 equipped with the 72" deck.

I gaurantee you they do. See photo of my tractor.

Attachments

• 100_5330.JPG
    100_5330.JPG
    518.4 KB · Views: 386
   / considering trading-in 3520 for 748 #16  
Those are sho' nuff R3 "turrfies"!

Looks like the MMM could have worn off the little rubber thingeys' when the tires were brand new --- not a great deal of clearance...

Good lookin' machine. And -- just guessin' -- the pic wasn't taken last weekend...

AKfish

/ considering trading-in 3520 for 748 #18  
hpc said:
Hi, All,

I have a 2 acre, residential lot with walk-up basement. I
have a 3520 (no cab) which the 4115 was traded in for. A Grasshopper
front-mount 928 ZTR does the lawn cutting chores and light
snow removal via the rotary broom.

The 3520 doesn't do lawn cutting as the R4's tear the turf on almost
any type of turn. Thought about buying R3's. Galaxies won't fit
the 3520 equipped with the 72" deck.

More importantly, the extreme slope around most of the property
presents a roll-over hazard for the 3520. The 4115 handled this
without any difficulty.

The REAL reason for trading the 4115 for the 3520 was the lousy
cutting quality of the 60" deck on the 4115. It was not a 7-Iron,
nor could I get a 7-Iron for it - dealer says it wouldn't fit.

The 3520 sits in the garage along with its 655 tiller and 300CX loader.
Tilling chores are virtually done. The loader is nice for those
monster snowfalls that happen once or twice every couple of years.
Plus, it's great for moving mulch and top soil or helping neighbors
get large trees off of the backs of trucks.

But it's sitting in the garage most days.

So, I was thinking about trading it in for a 748-SE (4wd, 24HP Yanmar) with
a 60" 7-Iron deck; 45-Loader; 647-Tiller and 3-pt. hitch; a 60"
HD Rotary Broom; and maybe a hard cab with heat - A/C would be
great for summers, but no such option.

Configured price is about the same as the 3520 was. But this
748 is no way near the tractor the 3520 is; BUT, it looks
to be more useful in my situation.

I looked at the 2520 (replacement for the 4115), but the 2000 series
lacks the 7-Iron decks. The 62" deck is too close in design to
the 60" I had on the 4115. No way am I taking a step backwards
in cutting ability. NOTE: I always mulch and the 7-Iron deck does
one helluva job - regardless of how wet and tall the grass might be.

But the 748 is a "toy" tractor - more useful in my case, but
I can't believe it has the longevity that the 3520 will give.

Comments welcome.

Cheers,

Lon

Hiya,

Your post sends mixed signals. When I first read it I thought that your mowing duties are being performed by the big ZTR and the deck on the 3520 was sitting idle. When I read it a second time, I got the impression that you are planning on selling both the 3520 the ZTR hence the concern for the 7 iron on the 748.

I thought about the 748 initially when I started looking for a tractor however I found the platform very cramped and the real turn off was the limited cat 1. Other points that concerned me was the lack of ROPS on the X series as I have very sloped property, (I live on a mountain) and the very limited lift ability of the 45 loader (in the 5-600Lb range if I remember correctly) and the "accessory PTO" concept.

I also wasn't concerned with mowing with the tractor as I use a Wright Stander "ZTS" for my 2 acres of lawn around the house. The thought of driving a 2500Lb + tractor over my grass and septic system twice a week didn't sound like a good idea to me and I stuck with my 700 Lb ZTS

I checked out the 3x20 series and had a demo for a day but it was too big for the garage stall with the loader/ballast attached, too wide for areas in the backyard and felt tippy.

So, to cut to the chase, I see you have 2 options as in my experience, it's very hard to go to a much smaller platform as you expect the equipment to perform at one level and it's unable to. IMHO the jump down to the X series would leave you disappointed in the long run whereas the jump to the next chassis down in the CUT series, while still an adjustment, much more inline with what your used to. Additionally, with your concern about tip over on your sloped land, I wouldn't look to any equipment that did not have a standard ROPS.

1) Keep the 3520 and sell the ZTR.Take the $ from that sale and talk to some tire dealers as to getting turfs for your rims or getting a set of new rims and turfs. Get that nice 7 iron deck and a set of wheel spacers to widen the stance. Maybe get a quick attach front hitch w/brush, blade and blower setup and have one machine for all your lawn, loading, snow and gardening duties.

2) Sell the 3520 (but keep your 655 tiller) and the ZTR. Take the $ from both of those and get either a 2320 or 2520 with turfs. I realize they don't have the "7-iron" but that drive over 62D deck is very nice and I haven't seen many complaints about it here, mostly very good reviews. Get the quick attach front hitch along with the brush, blower and blade and again have one piece of equipment that covers all your lawn, loading, snow and gardening duties. (your 655 tiller will work on both). Both the 23 and 2520 will give you about 1/2 the loader and 3pt capacity of the 3520.

My 2 cents

Tom

/ considering trading-in 3520 for 748
Hi, All,

Thanks for all of the replies! I guess I was less than clear on
my situation.

The ZTR does all of the grass cutting except when the wetlands area
is wet/damp - until roughly July or August - depending upon sustained
heat (80-90 temps). During this time, the 3520 with the 7-Iron 72"
deck does the cutting THOUGH it has gotten stuck 2 or 3 times. NOTE:
I never cut with the loader attached. On regular turf, not the wetlands
stuff, it still manages to cut/tear the turf in 2wd and being very careful
about turns, etc.

The ZTR also does light snow removal with the rotary broom; but,
the brute (3520) comes into its own when the snow gets wet or a lot
has fallen overnight. Plus, the 300CX loader gets the nod on doing
mulch hauling, etc.

I looked at the (big) Galaxy turfs several times and the JD built-it
ap (application) stated the the special turfs would NOT fit with
the 72" deck...there's always some guy Murphy lurking about...lol.

wonder if I could run regular R3's in the rear and the special Galaxy
turfs up front - it's the fronts that do the turf damage.

I know the dealer will say that JD only recommends matched sets.

And you're right about wanting a big-boy tractor....they are
just so fun and enjoyable! Nothing beats good seat-time on
the 3520.

Yep, will ask the JD dealer about a set of turfs. Geez, hate spending
more money, but losing a ton on depreciation is worst, I guess.

Good call, guys!

Thanks,

Lon

/ considering trading-in 3520 for 748 #20  
HPC,
Lets clarify some things. The 7 iron drive ( deep 60" ) driver over deck is available on the X748, awesome deck. I would add a blower for those few times that requires. In addition, order the add on lift bucket that mounts to your blower hitch and front blade, it will act as a loader, the only downside is not much lift height. But you can carry mulch, dirt etc. and pick up just like a loader bucket. ( being 3 acres I do not see this as a requirement)

Turbo recommended the AWS, do not if severe slope, you do not want this with an abrupt spin on sidehill, dangerous. This tractor would handle the slope, the wetlands and give an impressionable cut.

THE WIZARD

Attachments

• tractor shovel.jpg
    tractor shovel.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 301