Tractor Sizing Contemplating the 4105

/ Contemplating the 4105
kry226,

I know it is more money buying into a 4320 through 4720 series but you would be getting alot more tractor too. I should mention the three range ehydro with economy pto in the 4520 and 4720 would be very useful in your locale for clipping pastures compared to the 4105. Most of the pastures are thin compared to the deep south where I used to live and required more pto hp to keep the blades turning up to speed. In your locale you could make good use of the epto at a reduced engine speed of 1740 rpm for most of your cutting. This assumes using a 6' 3pt cutter, I have a hunch the larger 8' and 10' cutters are going to be more than you want to spend.

As far as frills and fru fru goes I don't consider things such as three range ehydro, larger fel, better hydraulic options, planetary rear end, more weight, steering brakes, larger tires and a cab to be frills. While a 4520 cab is more money it is alot more tractor than the 4105, since you want a hydro machine that is what I would recommend.

Sir,

Thanks for your advice. First, I want to ensure my fru-fru comment wasn't offensive. That wan't my intent, and I guess I am just a little frustrated that this process is becoming, from my perspective, an all or nothing gig. I really like the plain jane hydro (with cruise!) of the 4105, but I do wish it had a little more umph for unforseen tasks I may find in the future. But the bells and whistles of the 4x20, while certainly useful, in many ways seem unnecessary for my intended uses. I certainly don't want to under-buy, but I don't want to over-buy as well. Again, buy once, cry once.

But again, I'll only need to cut my pasture in its entirety every few years. The rest is simply trail and road frontage maintenance. So my dilemma remains. If the 4105 works fine for my intended uses, the money saved can go a long way toward other implements.

However, I did a 4105-4320 comparison this morning and the differences (other than horsepower) were obvious. The 4320 is much more of a tractor in terms of PTO efficiency, torque, and lift capability. Room to grow, and obviously moreso with the 45 and 47.

I really appreciate the advice and experience from the forum, but I tell you, you make it no easy task to select a tractor! Looks like I am leaning toward the 4x20...for now. :) Thanks again!

/ Contemplating the 4105 #12  
Sir,

Thanks for your advice. First, I want to ensure my fru-fru comment wasn't offensive. That wan't my intent, and I guess I am just a little frustrated that this process is becoming, from my perspective, an all or nothing gig. I really like the plain jane hydro (with cruise!) of the 4105, but I do wish it had a little more umph for unforseen tasks I may find in the future. But the bells and whistles of the 4x20, while certainly useful, in many ways seem unnecessary for my intended uses. I certainly don't want to under-buy, but I don't want to over-buy as well. Again, buy once, cry once.

But again, I'll only need to cut my pasture in its entirety every few years. The rest is simply trail and road frontage maintenance. So my dilemma remains. If the 4105 works fine for my intended uses, the money saved can go a long way toward other implements.

However, I did a 4105-4320 comparison this morning and the differences (other than horsepower) were obvious. The 4320 is much more of a tractor in terms of PTO efficiency, torque, and lift capability. Room to grow, and obviously moreso with the 45 and 47.

I really appreciate the advice and experience from the forum, but I tell you, you make it no easy task to select a tractor! Looks like I am leaning toward the 4x20...for now. :) Thanks again!

First, I second what Steve said about the 4x20s. Second, we went over the 4105 with another individual who was looking to buy one not too long ago. However, this individual was comparing a 3x20 to the 4105 and choose the 4105 due the larger tires and ground clearance. Nonetheless, during that conversation, BleedGreen, who is a JD dealer, provided some very good information below about the 4105 tractor that you should be aware of:

The 4105 is built off the basic 3x20 Series frame and axles. The additional ground clearance is from the larger tires but it also limits rear axle capacity.

The 4105 does not have a metal hood or fenders. If you put a 3x20 Series and 4105 next to each other, especially looking from the back you can see that they are basically the same machine with less features.

The 4105 is a good solid tractor, but you will be limited to many of 3x20 specs and tasks with this tractor. While the 4105 will handle everything now, you might find overtime that you wish you had that little extra to handled those newer heavier duty tasks that need to be tackled.

Please find attached the full spec sheet comparing the 4105 to the 3320 and 3520.

Attachments

• JD4105-SpecSheet1.jpg
    JD4105-SpecSheet1.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 190
  • JD4105-SpecSheet2.jpg
    JD4105-SpecSheet2.jpg
    325.8 KB · Views: 173
  • JD4105-SpecSheet3.jpg
    JD4105-SpecSheet3.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
   / Contemplating the 4105 #13  
I priced the 4120 first for price of it I was able to get 3 implements,trailer, tooth bar for bucket. The 4120 started at 27000 I paid 26000 all of that. I drove both it was hard decision. I didn't really like the computer controlled hydro pedals.
I don't regret it a bit buying the 4105.

Good luck :)

/ Contemplating the 4105
See what I mean! Tough decision indeed.

I feel the 4105 will accomplish all I need it to right now, but admittedly, there isn't room to grow into the heavier tasks as already mentioned. The 4x20 may be more than I need right now, but obviously it can handle many more of the unpredictables possibly encountered in the future.

I appreciate everyone's insight, advice, help, and patience too. I guess I'll just have to keep thinking and researching, and of course, listening. I'll be out at the property early next month and I'll be definitely evaluating its future upkeep a bit differently. If there is anything else that needs mentioning, bring it on. I appreciate it.

/ Contemplating the 4105 #15  
Don't want to start a brand war, but I am in the same boat as you. I love John Deere, but to get the horsepower, size tractor, 4x4, and hydro and am leaning towards a Kubota MX4700. 48 horsepower and I was quoted around $24k with fel.

/ Contemplating the 4105 #16  
Something to keep in mind. If you only will be mowiing every few years the extra HP needed for the taller grass will likely shorten the life on the equipment. On my 5103 I see a difference when I cut for the first time verses the end of season. For me it's not a problem as I don't have anywhere near the acreage you do.

Good luck.

/ Contemplating the 4105
Great points, every one.

I think I am almost certainly convinced that I need to be at least in the neighborhood of 50 hp for my intended uses. I really appreciate everyone's input and advice, and if there is anything else that needs mentioning, I am still all ears.

/ Contemplating the 4105 #18  
Great points, every one.

I think I am almost certainly convinced that I need to be at least in the neighborhood of 50 hp for my intended uses. I really appreciate everyone's input and advice, and if there is anything else that needs mentioning, I am still all ears.

Yeah, I tried to mow 50 acres with the 4105 a couple years back (first tractor) and found out real quick I need something with a cab. To me the bugs and dust was torture. At the very least I'd go with a cabbed 4320...

/ Contemplating the 4105 #19  
My only question would be if you think you're going to use the tractor in the winter. The last time I was at Pantex in December, the temperature was 18 degrees with horizontal snow. Seems like the panhandle gets hammered pretty good in the winter. We have a niece that lives 20 miles south of Amarillo so we watch the weather in that area.

If you are thinking you may be working outdoors in the winter - a cab would be worth every penny to me.

/ Contemplating the 4105
I really don't foresee using the tractor much in the winter except out of pure necessity to dig out of a heavy snow, or as I mentioned earlier to maybe haul a deer back to the shop. While I am sure I'll enjoy the heck out of a cab, I really can't justify the extra cost with the exception of happening across a smoking deal that's too good to pass up.
At the end of the day, this tractor will simply help me keep the property maintained. No plans to farm or hay, just road frontage and trail upkeep with a pasture mowing every few years. But I understand that chores may change and I am open to selecting a larger tractor to meet those unforseen needs.

Last edited: