Continuing LA145 high maintenance issues

/ Continuing LA145 high maintenance issues #11  
Holy crap on the paint problems. I thought the color was molded into the plastic deck.

/ Continuing LA145 high maintenance issues
Holy crap on the paint problems. I thought the color was molded into the plastic deck.

The hood is plastic and superb. The operator platform is sheet metal and must have had poor prep. I'm definitely beginning to believe I have a "Monday Mower." I know other people don't have nearly the problems I have. I can see no reason for the fuel tank to split like this unless it was exposed to the sun for a long time before factory installation. I doubt that, and just can't figure out why it would split like this with no stress or nothing poking it. It'll just have to remain one of the mysteries of the universe.;) For John Deere to make any money at all on these mowers, they just have to throw them together and ship them out the door. I'm sure there are not a lot of QC inspections or manufacturing steps to ID bad paint. JD's other lawn tractor lines have to be much better or they would have no reputation at all. I'm not sour on JD, just on their low end. Unfortunately, everyone is not like me and these mowers won't help JD's reputation.:(

/ Continuing LA145 high maintenance issues #13  
Jinman,
Does your home's deck have alot of treated wood over the parking area for your mower? Could be your problem with the paint, that stuff is very corrosive to painted metal. Having the water drip through after soaking on the deck joists would be alot worse than leaving the mower in the open areas where it would dry out faster.

Yes, Steve, it is treated wood, but why only the operator's platform having rust? None of the other exposed painted areas have any indication of paint problems and all fasteners don't have excessive rust/corrosion. This paint peeling started at the rear of the foot pad area where water pools from rain or rinsing the mower with a hose. Also, the mower was covered until the last 8-10 months. BTW: The deck shows nothing like these problems even though it has also had standing water around the spindles. Its paint job is as good as new.

/ Continuing LA145 high maintenance issues #15  
In the hot Texas sun gas will expand. Most gas caps have a check valve. They will allow air in but not out. If your cap has a one way valve this may explain why the tank split, vapor expansion in the tank.

/ Continuing LA145 high maintenance issues #16  
Yes, Steve, it is treated wood, but why only the operator's platform having rust? None of the other exposed painted areas have any indication of paint problems and all fasteners don't have excessive rust/corrosion. This paint peeling started at the rear of the foot pad area where water pools from rain or rinsing the mower with a hose. Also, the mower was covered until the last 8-10 months. BTW: The deck shows nothing like these problems even though it has also had standing water around the spindles. Its paint job is as good as new.

Just a guess but isn't the spindle under the platform? I was also under the impression that the decks are powdercoated, maybe the platform is enamel paint, don't know for sure though.

Just a guess but isn't the spindle under the platform?

The outside spindles are exposed on either side of the platform footrests. They came with plastic belt guards installed, but I took them off to make it easier to grease the spindles and clean out grass. I think you are right about the deck being powder coated, but I'd expect the platform to be painted the same way. Don't know. . . .

Gator6x4:
I guess that theory is as good as any, but I don't ever remember removing the cap to refuel and having air/pressure escape. I think most likely my weight in the seat (about 250 lb) is somehow flexing the platform down to put pressure on the tank. I'll check that theory when I get it all back together. Slight pressure on top of the tank to cause flexing might the problem . . . and I am going on a diet.:eek: However, the seat rails are mounted wider than the tank and I don't see how any pressure is on the tank.

The fill neck/cap is in the middle under the seat instead of being on the side like many JDs. The seat is always far above that, so no pressure is there, However, if the seat were lifted at some time and something sat on top of the cap like might happen in shipping/uncrating, it could have weakened the tank and now it's just showing up. That's the scenario I'm thinking happened, but it's completely unprovable.

Got the mower buttoned back up this morning and everything is working fine. My grandson wanted to immediately mow even though the grass doesn't need cuttin'. I wish he was as anxious to clean his room.;)

/ Continuing LA145 high maintenance issues #19  

Gator6x4:
I guess that theory is as good as any, but I don't ever remember removing the cap to refuel and having air/pressure escape. I think most likely my weight in the seat (about 250 lb) is somehow flexing the platform down to put pressure on the tank. I'll check that theory when I get it all back together. Slight pressure on top of the tank to cause flexing might the problem . . . and I am going on a diet.:eek: However, the seat rails are mounted wider than the tank and I don't see how any pressure is on the tank.

I encounter the expansion problem one time on my Cub Cadet. Filled the tank and did not use to mow. A couple of days later I walked into the shop and was struck with a strong gasoline odor. Expansion had forced gasoline into the crankcase and out. Oil change later everything was okay. Since then in the summer I don't fill the tank until ready to use. I also loosen the gas cap to allow for venting.