Convert Chinese Backhoe to Prince BH Control Valve Assembly?

/ Convert Chinese Backhoe to Prince BH Control Valve Assembly?
Hose Conversion - I know how to make my own hoses. I also made a new hose and connected it from the valve and ran it all the way to the cylinder. See picture below and you will see how we welded an adaptor so that I could attach my own hose with reusable ends to the Chinese cylinder.

If I replace the valve, I'll have to decide if I want to replace all the hoses and deal with the conversion at every cylinder or else leave the hoses alone and convert them at the valve. Has anyone done this before at the control valve? Ranch Hand used to offer adaptors and I bought one a few years ago, but I think they don't offer them anymore.

It'll be my luck to add the new valve and then have to weld extensions on the levers :laughing:

PS: All the credit for adding the valves and hoses goes to 3RRL who taught me how do it and where to buy all the parts.

Hose Conversion.JPG 20131229_093840.jpg

Last edited:
   / Convert Chinese Backhoe to Prince BH Control Valve Assembly? #12  
I've never heard of electric power beyound. I'm not criticizing i'm just saying I haven't heard of it. What's it's purpose? I had to use a power beyond valve for my remote valve to be be able to use the 3pt draft arms. Is it so you have full flow to the loader functions? I don't have a loader or backhoe, but needed a remote for other attachments. I have neighbor with the same only newer JM 354 tractor with loader that may need a new valve (leaky fittings complaint). But what ever happpens with him, it will be minimal cost. I seen one valve at $700 and about passed out. bjr

/ Convert Chinese Backhoe to Prince BH Control Valve Assembly? #13  
Steve, my BH controls were the same way, the control cabinet looks like it was put on backwards with the control valve on the backho side of the box. I think it was probably a 3PH model that was supposed to have it's own seat, modified to a frame mount install. I cut off and turned the cabinet around then spun the valve around. This moved the valve close enough to work with a swivel seat. I also did some other mods at the same time, but it was sure nice getting to set down on a seat instead of setting on the back edge of the seat like I was doing:)

Hi Ron, I still have your email from awhile back telling me how you did it. In fact I was reading it again today. When I imported the BH I also included the swivel base but I found the swivel to be too high and too wobbly so I ended up trashing it last year. Jinma later sent me the 3PH seat post/frame and two seats so that I could finally attach it. I ended up trashing all of that too. For now, I guess I'll keep standing and leaning against the seat back or sitting on a 2x6.

The valve is my main issue. Even though I bought a large collection of spare valve joystick parts, I worry about them coming apart during a project, in spite of all the shims and Loctite I used to tighten up the linkage. If I found a buyer in advance for my old control valve assembly, I'd move on this right away.

/ Convert Chinese Backhoe to Prince BH Control Valve Assembly? #15  
I've never heard of electric power beyound. I'm not criticizing i'm just saying I haven't heard of it. What's it's purpose? I had to use a power beyond valve for my remote valve to be be able to use the 3pt draft arms. Is it so you have full flow to the loader functions? I don't have a loader or backhoe, but needed a remote for other attachments. I have neighbor with the same only newer JM 354 tractor with loader that may need a new valve (leaky fittings complaint). But what ever happpens with him, it will be minimal cost. I seen one valve at $700 and about passed out. bjr
It is just a solenoid operated double acting spool valve. It's source is the power beyond port. Almost all excavators have them.

Last edited:
Took the first step today with Ronald and ordered enough convertor connectors to change all cylinder connections to JIS. Will convert every remaining hose to connect to new valve when the time is right. My plan is to run new hoses directly from all cylinders to the control valve and skip all the BH "fixed tubes" along the way. It's more costly but I'll end up with one continuous hose from valve to cylinder, all non-Chinese connections. I already did this with one hose that refused to seal with one of the fixed tubes.

Prince Valve per link below or Prince-Wolverine:

Does anyone know the difference between what seems to be a good choice below and the Wolverine Mono-Bloc" offering?

6 SPOOL HYD VALVE W/JOYSTICKS PRINCE SV

/ Convert Chinese Backhoe to Prince BH Control Valve Assembly? #18  
That prince valve looks like a good one. The longer joysticks should help reduce the effort required to operate it. With stacked valves in the unlikely event one spool goes bad you can replace it at moderate cost.

The monoblocks like this Chief Directional Control Valves (22 Series) are less expensive and still a good choice. Notice the shorter joysticks with smaller knobs.

If your wrists are already giving you trouble the premium valve may be well worth it.

Brad...Thank you.

In spite of the fact I make three trips to China/yr for my own business and have been to the Jinma/Mahindra factory, I am still wary of offshore sources that I have not personally vetted. In my import business of CNC machined parts, hydraulic cylinders and hydraulic motors, we will never buy from any factory that we do not know and have not visited. PERIOD.

With that said, plus your good advice about section replacement and longer sticks....that's all I need.

/ Convert Chinese Backhoe to Prince BH Control Valve Assembly? #20  
Also, I know the Prince valves are available with power beyond, not sure about the Chief brand. Also didn't notice a relief valve on the Chief, may not be included or an option. Chief valve makes no mention of load checks either.