Converted Tractor Seat To Air Suspension--pics

/ Converted Tractor Seat To Air Suspension--pics #1  

npalen

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B9200 HSTD and Mahindra 3015
Well perhaps that is stretching it a bit but here's my story:

The seat cushioning on my Mahindra is very similar to that found on many CUT's. A hinge on the front with two compression springs near the back of the seat bottom....
I noticed the "ride" as being very stiff so did some calculations on the spring rate with the being made of 6mm wire wrapped with about 5.5 active coils and 1.5" spring inside diameter.

My results show a spring rate of 165 lbs/inch of compression times two springs. ( At least 330 lbs to deflect the seat down 1" and that doesn't even take into consideration that the hinge is absorbing 1/2 of the load) The problem is that I only weigh about 190 lbs so it's about riding in a lumber wagon going down a less than smooth road.

I do agree that "air suspension" in the thread title may be stretching (or perhaps compressing) things a bit, but doggone it, the 2.80 x 2.50-4 inner tube is rather cushy.
Now I'm not planning on adding a 12VDC compressor or anything silly like that, but adaptive ride control would not be totally out of the question. :)

Attachments

• Mahindra-seat-1.JPG
    Mahindra-seat-1.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 847
  • Mahindra-seat-2.JPG
    Mahindra-seat-2.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 1,445
   / Converted Tractor Seat To Air Suspension--pics #2  
It should work fine as long as nothing sharp gets in there to cause a blowout, but you'll never resist the temptation to make it interesting!! By Easter you'll have a digital pressure gauge with automatic pressure control.

/ Converted Tractor Seat To Air Suspension--pics
I occurs to me, after further thought, that someone might conclude that I simply removed the tractor seat and replaced it with "the cushion". Be assured that is not the case as it might be rather uncomfortable given the valve stem position. :eek:
In the interest of full disclosure, the seat is simply folded forward out of the photo and will be used in it's normal position during tractor operation.:dance1:

/ Converted Tractor Seat To Air Suspension--pics #4  
And here I thought that was a hemorrhoid doughnut, while all along its a ring that could prevent those problems. Good show..........

/ Converted Tractor Seat To Air Suspension--pics #5  
On the kubota, too many opportunities for cushion to be pinched or punctured. As noted, front connection remains rigid, bit the bullet, bought $90 generic suspention seat, higher back, wrap around bolsters, adjustment to 260 lbs. + benefit is seat height raised 6" +, increased visibility. Moved mounting rearward, more leg room. Simple design, two springs, adj tensioner, hyd shock absorber. "Tireject" could protect cushion method. Generic seat allows cushion pitch and recline adjustment. Entire seat floats, back is rigid. Kubota suspention was retained.

/ Converted Tractor Seat To Air Suspension--pics #6  
I occurs to me, after further thought, that someone might conclude that I simply removed the tractor seat and replaced it with "the cushion". Be assured that is not the case as it might be rather uncomfortable given the valve stem position. :eek:

When I read the first post and checked the second picture, I thought that was part of what you meant as "adaptive ride control" :D

And I suppose your were thinking methane as opposed to nitrogen?

/ Converted Tractor Seat To Air Suspension--pics #8  
Npalen. Are you still the front "hinge" part and using the tube in place of the springs?

Yes, the front hinge is intact. I just removed the two springs at the rear and replaced with the inner tube.
This whole thing probably seems a bit crazy but it sure beats the "lumber wagon ride".

/ Converted Tractor Seat To Air Suspension--pics #10  
Yes, the front hinge is intact. I just removed the two springs at the rear and replaced with the inner tube.
This whole thing probably seems a bit crazy but it sure beats the "lumber wagon ride".

Another thing people can do for a much better ride is swap out the cheap Original Equipment Manufactuer's seat with one from a car. I happened to have a Ford Focus going for scrap metal, so I robbed the seat out of that for my Bulldozer. Some people do not like the look, but they don't ride in it either!

Just a difference approach to the same problem.

Attachments

• DSCN4292.JPG
    DSCN4292.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 632
  • DSCN4303.JPG
    DSCN4303.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 708