Converter thefts

/ Converter thefts #11  
This thread is amusing, to be sure. It is also a perfect example of how "news" has been replaced with headline-grabbing, ad-selling fodder. I am no crime expert, but I do know how to use Google. I could not find one ounce of "statistics" about this kind of crime, and more than one "news" article I read about this "trend" had almost a whole paragraph exactly duplicated from the "theft" section of the catalytic converters article on Wikipedia. I guess you would have to read the edit history of that article to know which came first, that section of the Wikipedia entry, or the "news" pieces.

On the other hand, you actually can find statistics online about the rate of dog theft. If someone is keeping track of dog theft, which I don't think is exactly plaguing our cities and neighborhoods, then I'm guessing catalytic converter theft is an isolated phenomenon. I don't doubt that car insurance companies keep internal statistics on different kinds of theft and vandalism, but I don't see any of these "news" pieces referring to interviews with insurance company representatives. In fact, the only articles I found that mention even having spoken to police officials are basically regurgitating anecdotes with no hard numbers.

In case you are wondering, incidents of canine abduction are a lot harder to track than vehicular vandalism, because pets aren't usually covered by a comprehensive automobile insurance policy.

Bingo! I agree 100%. (Which is why my Boxer's slept in the house....actually, the male slept in our bed....) Dog's are not property, they are part of the family.

As for the Catalytic converters, just imagine what the thieves will do once they realize the DPF's in our Diesel Pickups cost as much as $12K to replace.....

/ Converter thefts #12  
This thread is amusing, to be sure. It is also a perfect example of how "news" has been replaced with headline-grabbing, ad-selling fodder. I am no crime expert, but I do know how to use Google. I could not find one ounce of "statistics" about this kind of crime, and more than one "news" article I read about this "trend" had almost a whole paragraph exactly duplicated from the "theft" section of the catalytic converters article on Wikipedia. I guess you would have to read the edit history of that article to know which came first, that section of the Wikipedia entry, or the "news" pieces.

On the other hand, you actually can find statistics online about the rate of dog theft. If someone is keeping track of dog theft, which I don't think is exactly plaguing our cities and neighborhoods, then I'm guessing catalytic converter theft is an isolated phenomenon. I don't doubt that car insurance companies keep internal statistics on different kinds of theft and vandalism, but I don't see any of these "news" pieces referring to interviews with insurance company representatives. In fact, the only articles I found that mention even having spoken to police officials are basically regurgitating anecdotes with no hard numbers.

In case you are wondering, incidents of canine abduction are a lot harder to track than vehicular vandalism, because pets aren't usually covered by a comprehensive automobile insurance policy.

I personally don't know if this has restarted, but a few years ago there were articles in the local papers about restaurants and bars having their patrons' converters removed....

/ Converter thefts #13  
Someone stole one of mine a few years ago, and was working on the other one when something scared him off. The SOB also cut one of my O2 sensors, making it more costly. I hate thieves.

/ Converter thefts #14  
It happens around here, has been on the news several times in the last year.
Removal is quick, a battery operated sawzall and pipes are cut and it is off in under a minute.

Happens to pickups and SUVs mostly since they can be easily crawled under.

I think the solution is to install hydraulics to lower the vehicle to the ground when parked so they can't get under it.:D

/ Converter thefts #15  
The next time I am in the city, I will snap a picture of the large plywood painted sign propped up next to the highway that proudly advertises "Catalytic Converters - Cash Paid - $100"

Also, I got a call from DOT to come out to the district maintenance shed to look at some work. While there he pointed to a row of 7 or 8 dump trucks. Said thieves broke in and cut the CC's of each one. He mentioned the problem is so bad, the state is now have identifying numbers stamped into each CC they have, hoping that might curb the theft.

/ Converter thefts #16  
Glad I already removed mine...Wish I knew someday it would be worth some money lol

/ Converter thefts #18  
timswi said:
I personally don't know if this has restarted, but a few years ago there were articles in the local papers about restaurants and bars having their patrons' converters removed....

We had a Toyota dealership lose well over 100 in one night.

Chris

/ Converter thefts #19  
I think the next new car antitheft option will be serializing your car. Numbers stamped or laser etched into all the popular theft items. As the parts are added on the assembly line the VIN number, or some part of it, could be laser etched onto the parts. If law enforcement catches someone selling a part a computer check would at least provide a link to the current owner or some database like NCIC.

/ Converter thefts #20  
maybee they should allow drawing and quartering again.. go on a flash enforcement regimine for about 2 weeks and get a bunch of these suckers.. and then sell tickets and televise it.. put the message out that criminals will be dealt with badly? eh? to draconian?