Converting a small engine into air compressor

/ Converting a small engine into air compressor #11  
NormL has the right idea. Just find an auto air conditioning compressor and hook a motor to it for the easiest fairly high volume one. I have about 3 of them right now in various places. One is a York, one Japanese and the other was off a 69 Ford econoline. That one I've been using with a pancake tank and it keeps up with the power nailer.
I've long considered using an auto engine for large volume like sandblasting, jackhammer etc. and have a Mopar 225 slant six set aside for the purpose, to run on 4 compress on 2. The Advantage of the slant 6 is the fact that the intake and exhaust manifolds all have individual tubes to each cylinder so would be easy to cut off and fabricate whatever necessary. As BHD mentioned, weak springs on the exhaust valves will allow them to suck in air on the downstroke so there are no wasted strokes. And BHD, that's a neat looking rig you've got there.
AVZ give it a try and keep us posted.
Smiley

Last edited:
   / Converting a small engine into air compressor #12  
I started to do this with an old 2 stroke lawn mower but it was going to cost too much for the valves.
I do know of a couple of people who have used old sealed units out of refridgerators. They were both told that it wouldn't work, so they did it, then addeda 20lb propane tank for a resevoir. Small, quiet units for under their workbenches....
I have an old V-4 refridgeration unit that I have been using for about 25 years now. 2hp motor gives me 100psi. Two 100lb propane tanks (hydrostated to 300psi) give loads of storage.....

/ Converting a small engine into air compressor
Hi
Thanks for the input. I'm glad to know that it can be done and so I'll follow your guidance and try to do it. I'll report progress when achieved. if you have more info and/or advise - please let me (us) know.

/ Converting a small engine into air compressor #14  
NormL has the right idea. Just find an auto air conditioning compressor

Smiley, Have you had any problems with lubricating the auto air compressor? The reason I ask is because it's my understanding that the refrigerant has lubricating qualities, so if you replace it with air it gets pretty dry in there and they can overheat/burn up.

I know a lot of guys with 4WD vehicles, myself included, who deflate their tires to around 18psi when going out in sand dunes, the desert etc. for extra traction, so most of us have some kind of portable air tank or compressor they carry with them to re-inflate the tires.

Some jeep guys have converted their AC pump to pump air into a small on board tank. They work good, but they put an inline air tool oiler between the air filter and pump inlet.

/ Converting a small engine into air compressor #15  
Volvo made an AC compressor that had an oil reservoir like a lawnmower engine, search the off road / jeep sites...Runs off the truck engine and has a clutch. Makes good volume and pressure, no oil in the lines

/ Converting a small engine into air compressor #16  
Smiley, Have you had any problems with lubricating the auto air compressor? The reason I ask is because it's my understanding that the refrigerant has lubricating qualities, so if you replace it with air it gets pretty dry in there and they can overheat/burn up.
The twin cylinder compressors off Chryco vehicles have a sump for the lubricating oil and do not run dry. If you don't remove the restrictor in the intake the oil in the sump will be sucked out and then it will run dry and seize in no time! Ask me how I know.:eek:

/ Converting a small engine into air compressor #17  
Yes I made one from an old B&S motor. This was before I new how to weld but I took the cam to a local welding shop (this was a few years ago) and had them build up additional cam lobes to operate the valves on each stroke. Closed off the sparkplug hole and used the intake and exhaust ports as needed. It wasn't the best compressor but it worked.

/ Converting a small engine into air compressor #18  
best one i saw was a VW beetle engine, there was a company doing it but i saw some done at home.

IMHO this is the best option for most things, 2 cylinders were conventional and an engine, the 2 others were the compressor. If you want more air just rev the engine more.

/ Converting a small engine into air compressor #19  

I know a lot of guys with 4WD vehicles, myself included, who deflate their tires to around 18psi when going out in sand dunes, the desert etc. for extra traction, so most of us have some kind of portable air tank or compressor they carry with them to re-inflate the tires.

Some jeep guys have converted their AC pump to pump air into a small on board tank. They work good, but they put an inline air tool oiler between the air filter and pump inlet.

I was in Canada most of last week and just catching up.
The econoline pump has been in use for about 10 years and all I ever did was dump a couple ounces of motor oil down the intake side. The Japanese one (Sanyo maybe?? -- it's in Fla) gets used only a few times each winter so I can't comment about it's longevity. I put oil in this one also the same way. The Yorks have their own oil reservoir and here is a link to a good diagram and discussion on them.
On Board Air

Here's another link discussing the points you mention. They say using motor oil in it won't work because the compressor will seize. Unless your life or a long hike is depending on it, what's the difference if it does seize? They're cheap enough to just replace it and go for another 10 years. Besides that it probably oils my air tools and nailers at the same time. Might not do tires much good but I use it for that too.
On Board Air

I should say for safetys sake, be sure and put a pressure relief valve on. Mine stuck and was at 220 pounds when I realized something wasn't right and before I could shut it down, it blew a rubber hose.

Last edited:
   / Converting a small engine into air compressor #20  
Here's another link discussing the points you mention.
On Board Air

Thanks for the info & link. I have wanted to add an on board compressor to my FJ Cruiser, but there is no room under the hood so I carry around a portable 12Volt one which works pretty good but slow

I wonder if anyone has added a York compressor to a tractor engine?