Converting double acting cylinder with a single acting pump

/ Converting double acting cylinder with a single acting pump #1  

rfc143

Silver Member
Tractor
kubota 5240
Have a dump truck with a double acting cylinder. Replacing the pump with a new single acting pump.
There’s no place to attach the rod end hose.
Can I just take the hose off and leave it open to atmosphere?

/ Converting double acting cylinder with a single acting pump #2  
Get a breather for that port and run it that way.

That's how I did on my homemade dump trailer. Just used a double acting cylinder and used a breather on the rod end port.

Hard to see on the picture but that's the thing sticking out on the rod end port.

IMG_20220916_185151.jpg

1690653416450.png

EDIT: Surplus Center has those: Caps & Breathers | Hydraulic Filters | Hydraulics | www.surpluscenter.com

/ Converting double acting cylinder with a single acting pump #3  
If.....

The cylinder piston packing ever starts passing fluid, a line back to TANK would be less messy than a breather.

But more complication......

/ Converting double acting cylinder with a single acting pump
There are two holes on the top of the tank; both threaded. I’ll run the system for a while as I’d like to see if the piston is leaking,then plumb the hose to one of the holes. The other one is a breather, so there’s no danger of pressurizing the tank.

/ Converting double acting cylinder with a single acting pump #6  
Messy can be your freind. If you have a leaking cylinder you want to know sooner than later. If you’re plumbed back to the tank, so there isn’t a mess, then you won’t know anything is wrong, until you have a serious failure.

Similar to why you don’t caulk around a toilet base. You want to know the wax ring isn’t seated and fix it, before the leak rots out the floor.