Converting Pin on loader to John Deere Quick Attach

/ Converting Pin on loader to John Deere Quick Attach #1  

Lykins Farm

Tractor
1995 New Holland 5610S
I have a Ford 5610S tractor with a Bush Hog 2400QT loader that takes pin on attachments. I would like to convert it over to the John Deere Quick Attach system. I know, I know, they make the skid steer quick attach system. However, I really like the JDQA setup. Has anyone did this? I can buy the pallet fork/hay spear combo with JDQA set up and plan to purchase the weld on JDQA plate for my pin on bucket. I need to make the set up for the loader feet to pick up the attachments. What thickness of steel would you use? What is the diameter of the round bar stock that goes up under the hook to pick up the attachments? Any other advice, pictures or videos would be very helpful. I am not a professional welder by any means but have fabricated a few things such as feeder panels, corral panels etc.

/ Converting Pin on loader to John Deere Quick Attach #2  
The 5610 is similar in size to our JD 6200 with a 640 Loader. I wouldn't wish that 640 QA on anybody! I use a (HORST) adapter to make it Skid steer. Adds little weight, but comes on and off in seconds as required.

/ Converting Pin on loader to John Deere Quick Attach
What don't you like about the 640 QA?

/ Converting Pin on loader to John Deere Quick Attach #4  
It's horrible to connect. On uneven ground, it's virtually impossible AND, the two arms which are plumbed independently, are often at different locations if not either at very top or bottom.

Pisses me off terribly too that Deere would change that system yet agin and STILL not choose a UNIVERSAL system.

Hardly a time I don't go to a couple of different friends and they aren't cutting off those 640 mounts from some farmers rig and putting on something like ALO.

DSC04710.JPG

This used 640 to SS adapter just showed up at a friends as if by magic with a bunch of other stuff. I am very pleased to have it since it gives me greater attachment compatibility.

/ Converting Pin on loader to John Deere Quick Attach #5  
I can attest to the fact the JDQA and frozen manure is not a good combo. Think weed burner and chipping hammer.

Only JD could get away with a QA system that is proprietary. Anybody else would go out of business.

/ Converting Pin on loader to John Deere Quick Attach #6  
Buy a pin-on SSQA adapter for you FEL. Look here for one that fits yours.

As IT says, better choice of attachments and more used ones to find vs JD or old Ford QA (I have that style on the L785 skidder :( )

/ Converting Pin on loader to John Deere Quick Attach #7  
Friends who do work on this stuff as I mentioned do not have great faith in the SS system for greater loads and larger machines. An Alo system is more robust and secure for sure.

/ Converting Pin on loader to John Deere Quick Attach
My neighbor has the SSQA system and I have seen his QA hay spear literally fail and fall off while trying to load hay. Not sure what the problem was but he has had a time. That is one reason I like JDQA with the side pins. Just seems more secure to me. I will only be using loader bucket and pallet fork/hay spear combo on my loader.

/ Converting Pin on loader to John Deere Quick Attach #9  
Your neighbor might be glad to hear his stuff won't work on your FEL and that you wouldn't be borrowing anything.

I had a SSQA stump bucket fall off once, then I redid the faulty weld so it wouldn't happen again. It hasn't.

Five years now with SSQA, two grapples and two buckets. When I connect I raise the attachment to be sure the latch pins reach into their slots.

My optical prescription is dated, but I can still check 'em from the seat.

btw, when grappling-out trees the diameter of my arm I sometimes rock forward and back which tips the tractor up on 3 wheels despite my heaviest ballast on the 3PH. That stump bucket was the one time something didn't stay attached. :2cents: