Cooking for the dog. Best recipes

/ Cooking for the dog. Best recipes #1  

Rebeldad1

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti Tractor, John Deere Mower,New Holland Mini Excavator
What are the ingridients you like best for making your own dog food?

looking for healthy stuff to add to dry kibble. Thanks in advance.

/ Cooking for the dog. Best recipes #2  
Home-Cooking for Dogs 101 (Got this from a Veterinarian...and last one too.)

Please note: This is a basic program, and you should consult your veterinarian for your dog痴 specific needs.

2 whole chickens ( 3 pounds (6.6kg) minimum each

Fresh (or frozen) vegetables of your choice (I avoid onions, garlic, leeks and the like, as it *can* lead to hemolytic anemia. I also avoid grapes and raisins, as they have been linked to problems in some animals.)

Fresh fruit (whatever is in season, or can be obtained fresh frozen)

Place the chickens into a 鼎rock-Pot Slow Cooker. (I use a 6.5 Qt. (~6.8L) Crock-Pot) Add enough water to just cover the bottom of the pot. Add 2 tsp of Olive Oil, to prevent sticking and make clean up easier.

Cook on High for 12 hours. Once the chicken begins to cook the fat out of the skin, add enough water to keep the chicken covered. After the first 12 hours, stir the chickens well, and reduce heat to Low. Cook another 18 hours. After the 36 hours of cooking time, I add the vegetables to the mix, and cook another 10-12 hours on Low. If you are going to use any grains, I add them the last 3 hours of cooking. Turn off the cooker, and let cool until you can place your hands in the mix. Once it is cool enough, use your hands to mash around in the mix (you could use a potato masher), and you will find that the bones disintegrate as you mash, thereby eliminating worry of choking on a whole chicken bone. I then add any fruits, and let them just slightly wilt, before placing the mix into containers to go into the refrigerator and freezer. I keep a 2-3 day supply in the refrigerator, and place the rest into the freezer. My goal is to have a 30 day supply in the freezer, should I have to be out of town, or incapacitated for some reason.

I personally don稚 recommend much grain. While whole, organic grains can be healthy, they can be difficult to come by in some areas. I have also found grains can aggravate allergies in some dogs.

I try to make my mixture to be 50% protein and 50% vegetables and fruit, pre-cooked weight. This is for dogs that have no other health issues. If you are going to add grain, then I would consider it to be part of the vegetable and fruit section. Using this method, I don稚 drain the fat, once the dogs have become acclimated to the diet. Pets need some fat in the diet, so this keeps me from having to add additional supplements. Also, since the bone is in the food, I don稚 worry about the Ca:p ratio and adding bone meal.

You can substitute beef brisket, beef heart, ground beef, ground pork, pork brisket or other meats for variety, or as the dog痴 condition warrants. If cooking items with no bone, I would decrease the cooking time to 12-24 hours (the 24 hours for pork), and add the vegetables halfway through the cooking. You may also add bone meal if you are not feeding anything with bone in it.

As far as fruits and vegetables, most anything that is healthy for a human is healthy for your dog, with the exceptions listed above. I use a variety of vegetables, such as organic fresh carrots, fresh (or fresh frozen) zucchini, yellow squash, peaches, tomatoes, berries, melons, green beans, green peas, sweet potatoes, (I boil these separately until tender, then remove the skin and place into the mix with the fruit.), bananas, apples, broccoli, pumpkin, spinach, etc. I will add 2-4 different fruit/vegetable items in each 澱atch of food I make, and then will add 2-4 different items in the next 澱atch? This way, I balance the diet over the week/month, as opposed to trying to balance the diet with each meal. It also lets me use the fruits and vegetables when they are in season, and freeze some for when little is growing fresh.

As always, you and your veterinarian are your dog痴 best advocate. Always consult him/her with any questions about what meats and vegetables are best for your individual pet. This becomes even more important if your pet already has any health issues.

==============================================================================================

INGREDIENTS

4 Chicken Thighs

2 Cups cubed sweet potatoes

1 Cup Mustard greens

Pinch of Cinnamon

1 can of sardines in oil

Simmer the chicken, sweet potatoes, and the mustard greens in about a quart of water until the meat

is cooked through and the potatoes are tender. Add the cinnamon towards the end, and add the sardines

after turning off the heat. Serve at room temperature.

/ Cooking for the dog. Best recipes #3  
Sharn Jean buys chicken thighs, boils them and then shreds them. She then adds a bit of the shredded chicken and some of the broth to the dry dog food, and they gobble it up.

/ Cooking for the dog. Best recipes #4  
Sharn Jean buys chicken thighs, boils them and then shreds them. She then adds a bit of the shredded chicken and some of the broth to the dry dog food, and they gobble it up.

How long can you store this in the fridge? I’m thinking of trying your recipe. We have the newest addition that has digestive issues so would just use the recipe as a supplement.

His prescribed food costs are astronomical.

/ Cooking for the dog. Best recipes #5  
To supplement I shoot hogs, skin/gut, attack carcass with an axe to get it into 2-4 lbs chunks then boil it for one hour. We freeze three chunks (one per dog) in a gallon ziplock bag and let it freeze 48 hrs minimum then feed to the dogs....assuming of course we don’t need any pork.

/ Cooking for the dog. Best recipes #6  
Home-Cooking for Dogs 101 (Got this from a Veterinarian...and last one too.)

Please note: This is a basic program, and you should consult your veterinarian for your dog痴 specific needs.

2 whole chickens ( 3 pounds (6.6kg) minimum each

Not trying to be picky, but 6.6 kg is about 14 lbs. Did you mean turkeys :D

/ Cooking for the dog. Best recipes #7  
I do not specifically cook for my Cocker Spaniel - Brownie. However - along with his dry kibble he does eat a lot of what I cook. Skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cooked carrots, the occasional bite of baked potato, green beans - you get the idea. Strange - he likes cooked chicken- he will not eat cooked red meat. I know my cooking skills are not the best but red meat - ??? Probably all for the best anyhow. Oh - he does not like fried parsnips or baked rutabagas either.

/ Cooking for the dog. Best recipes #8  
Not trying to be picky, but 6.6 kg is about 14 lbs. Did you mean turkeys :D

I work in English units since I left the laboratory many years ago, so I didn't do the conversion. Like I said, the recipe was sent to me by a Veterinary (internet) friend. I know from memory that 453.6 grams equals one pound, so it's obvious someone made a mistake. Three pounds is roughly 1.5 kg.

/ Cooking for the dog. Best recipes #9  
How long can you store this in the fridge? I’m thinking of trying your recipe. We have the newest addition that has digestive issues so would just use the recipe as a supplement.

His prescribed food costs are astronomical.

I'll buy a large package of thighs (frozen or otherwise), and repackage them in packs of two and freeze them. She only cooks two at a time, so with two dogs, feeding twice daily, they are gone in three or four days, so they will keep that long.

/ Cooking for the dog. Best recipes #10  
We don't "add" to kibble, but feed our Schnauzers a full home cooked diet. Been doing it since we lost an International Champion Giant Schnauzer and a National Champion mini-schnauzer to the commercial dog food poisonings in 2008. We make it in about 4 hours, proportion it out into containers, and freeze it. We defrost 2 containers (6 feedings) at a time in the refrigerator. We have done dietary analysis, and ran the results by our Vet, which approved the analysis.

We have a small meat grinder and grind all of the meat to a coarse grind. The only other 'requirement' is a large 16-20qt pot.
Ingredients:
2 cups goat milk (either ready mixed or reconstituted dry powder)
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup of dried parsley
1 cup unrefined coconut oil
1/4 cup of salt
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Approximately 6+lbs boneless chicken breast (or other chicken products)
2 1/2 lbs ground beef (whatever beef is cheapest)
2-3lbs chicken gizzards (coarse ground)
2lbs chicken livers (coarse ground)
3 dozen large eggs
3lbs +/- frozen peas /carrots or mixed vegetables
5lbs sweet potatoes or yams cooked and mashed ( we run the cooked potatoes and the vegetables through the grinder)
4 cups cooked brown rice
4 cups of dry quick oats

Place first 5 ingredients in pot, simmer on low heat until hot. Add all meats until cooked thoroughly (until barely pink)(stirring intermittently). Add eggs to top of meat mixture, allowing to cook until semi-solid (like poached egg), then stir partially cooked eggs throughout the meat mixture. Add the mashed potatoes, vegetables, and cooked rice to the pot, mixing thoroughly. Allow mix to cook for approximately 30-40 minutes on low heat, allowing fluid from the mix to rise to the top. Turn off heat. Sprinkle dry quick oats over the liquid, allowing the oats to soak up the fluid. Allow to rest approximately 10 minutes, then stir/mix the oats throughout the mixture. Allow to cool approximately an hour, spoon out into appropriate storage containers for freezer.

Feeding amounts are approximately 1/4 cup for every 5 lbs of dogs weight, slightly more for very active young dogs, slightly less for geriatric dogs. We divide the calculated amount in half and feed twice a day ( 30lbs = 1 1/2 cups divided x2 = 3/4 cup per feeding, twice a day).

We have friends and relatives that make the mix and add a small amount of kibble on top for "crunch" ..... personal preference, not necessarily needed.
We usually add a few morsels of whatever meat we have had for dinner...:D

If you have any specific questions, send me a PM....