Cool new HD video

/ Cool new HD video #2  
That is the greatest vehicle promotional video I've ever seen. I don't care which manufacturer made it, that is just Awesome!

On a side note, it's about time they added the exhaust brake. I like it! :thumbsup:

/ Cool new HD video #3  
I like the video too, but some of the stuff that the marketing departments do is amusing.

"Fully boxed frame" for example. If the frame channel dimension is sufficient, then boxing is not required. If the frame channel dimension isn't sufficient, then it should have been boxed in all along....rather than touting the fact that it's boxed in now as a "feature".

To wit:

PeterbiltTractor-1.jpg

How in the world does that rig get down the road fully laden, and yet without a fully boxed frame?

:D

;)

/ Cool new HD video #4  
brokenot;1989916If the frame channel dimension is sufficient said:
isn't[/I] sufficient, then it should have been boxed in all along....rather than touting the fact that it's boxed in now as a "feature".
:D

;)
Maybe it's whole purpose is to keep the dirt out? And, it keeps them from using the inner frame to run the brake and fuel lines with those crappy plastic clips. :(

/ Cool new HD video #5  
Maybe it's whole purpose is to keep the dirt out?....

That's sort of what I mean. If it were necessary and they haven't been doing it up until now....then they dropped the ball. If it really isn't necessary, (as in there are plenty of tried-and-true truck chassis designs out there that see much heavier duty use that light trucks ever will, and yet they aren't boxed in), then saying this is a feature and marketing it as advantageous is just, well....marketing.

I'm not just pointing a finger at GM here, there are a couple of other light truck manufacturers that also advertise their recently-adopted "fully boxed-in" chassis designs. I'm just saying that it's certainly not as if mankind only recently stumbled upon concepts like strength and rigidity, or the properties of metal stampings in different shapes or forms.

Of course it could be suggested that light trucks are moving towards boxing-in rather than making the chassis beams beefier like a medium or heavy-duty truck chassis has in order to save weight/improve fuel economy, etc.

BUT.....then what they're really saying, is that they're making a "spindly-er" tube-style chassis, in order to achieve the same strength as a channel-style chassis. Which, once again....makes it not really a "heavy-duty" feature.

:)

/ Cool new HD video
That is the greatest vehicle promotional video I've ever seen. I don't care which manufacturer made it, that is just Awesome!

On a side note, it's about time they added the exhaust brake. I like it! :thumbsup:

Gotta give credit to Dodge for getting the ball rolling on the exhaust brake. Now GM has it, too. It's great when there's several competitors and they keep trying to out-do each other. Consumer ends up with a better product with more features.

/ Cool new HD video #7  
Dodge has been using a fully boxed frame for a few years now. Even on the half ton models. I have a 2005 ram with the cummins engine and auto tranny. And of course, my luck, the very next year they altered the auto tranny to be able to use an exhaust brake. Oh well, maybe there will be a bulletproof tranny in my future that will let me use an exhaust brake!

/ Cool new HD video #8  
While I would never own one for a multitude of reasons including the experience I had with my 05 Dmax and the Government Bail Out I will give credit where its due.

Looks like GM has been listening. They finally have a higher GVWR, especially on the front end where it was needed most. The new bigger brakes were much need as were then new chassis. Seems like someone has been looking at the competition also and stepped up to the plate with trailer sway systems and exhaust brakes like the competition has had for a few years now. They may have a winner finally.

Chris

/ Cool new HD video
Dodge has been using a fully boxed frame for a few years now. Even on the half ton models. I have a 2005 ram with the cummins engine and auto tranny. And of course, my luck, the very next year they altered the auto tranny to be able to use an exhaust brake. Oh well, maybe there will be a bulletproof tranny in my future that will let me use an exhaust brake!

If you add the exhaust brake to the venerable Duramax diesel and Allison trans combo with the tap up/down shift feature, the higher GAWRs and a ride nothing short of spectacular, it looks like the best truck out there.
Can't wait to get a ride in one to check it out, but my HD's been so good to me, I have no reason to get rid of it, other than the temptation this new HD offers......

/ Cool new HD video #10  
Dodge has been using a fully boxed frame for a few years now. Even on the half ton models.
True, my 03 RAM 1500 has a fully boxed frame. It was Toyota with the redesigned Tundra that started the "fully boxed frame" marketing.

I can't wait to see what people are getting for fuel mileage out of these 700+ lb.ft torque monster diesels GM and Ford are putting out. We'll see what Dodge puts out for 2011 but I bet it will be unchanged and remain the 6.7l Cummins with only 650lb.ft. :D