Coolant; How much anti-freeze?

• Thread starter Deleted member 41266
  • Start date
   / Coolant; How much anti-freeze? #1  
D

Deleted member 41266

I just learned that my buddy's 7520 may not have enough anti-freeze in the coolant. (Don't ask me how this slipped under the radar :eek:)

Temperatures out here, Chicago suburbs, went to -0- last night and I would like to take care of this on the coming weekend when it's due to warm up (low 50's if you can believe that).

Right now I think it's about 35%ish anti-freeze and I am going to take it to 50-55%.

My questions are:
1. Is there a radiator drain spigot on the 7520 and where is it or what would be the easiest way to remove 2 1/4 qts of coolant.
2. What is the factory fill supposed to be in these things, i.e. what % ethylene glycol?
3. Who in the sales process is responsible for adjusting the coolant for different weather markets--if 50-60% ethylene glycol is not the factory fill? I'm not out for blood, I would just like to know who, if anyone, you think should have caught this.

As usual thanks in advance.
Peter

/ Coolant; How much anti-freeze? #2  
A good 50/50 mix of antifreeze should cover you down to about -30 deg. F
Sorry, can't help you on the 7520 radiator drain but there should be one.

/ Coolant; How much anti-freeze? #3  
A 50/50 mix is where it should be, when you test it, it should test about -34 degrees. I think you have your degrees on the tester mixed up with percentage. I would test it again.

/ Coolant; How much anti-freeze? #4  
How many hours on the tractor? You may want to do a complete change - I personally don't like to mixed different types/ brands of anti-freeze. Also is it a "wet" sleeve engine? I used global final charge anti-freeze it's rated for diesels. Just my 2cents Sorry I almost forgot when I can't find the radiator drain I pull the lower hose off the radiator -Ed

/ Coolant; How much anti-freeze?
LAWALLSTRACTOR said:
A 50/50 mix is where it should be, when you test it, it should test about -34 degrees. I think you have your degrees on the tester mixed up with percentage. I would test it again.

No mixup, Galen, the hygrometer said it was about 35% coolant--good for 0F. But, I will double check. The tipoff that we had a problem was when my friend, the owner, recently told me that when he checked the coolant last winter it looked frozen at the top of the radiator.:eek: I wish he had said something about this last summer...

Red55: As far as a change out goes, it is a good suggestion, but I think I will wait until it's a little warmer to do that. I just want to get us through the winter for now. We've got some HD silicate free diesel rated juice and, gosh, I hope that I don't have to pull a hose to do this.

/ Coolant; How much anti-freeze?
We double checked the coolant and it was over diluted for out our needs; took out 2.25 qts and topped it up with 100% antifreeze. We're now good to go down to minus 30-35F.

I was in NY last weekend and was going by Batavia, so I dropped in to personally thank Galen for his online help. When I confirmed that the coolant was too weak, he then asked me "how old is the tractor?" I thought this was an odd question, but he explained: about 2 or so years ago Mahindra's factory fill was good to +0-5 deg F. Well, that's us!

So, to all you Mahindra operators, if you live north of the Mason-Dixon line or something like that ;) , you might want to check your coolant and make sure it is appropriate for the low temps (and higher summer temps, too) in your area.

Happy new year all.

Peter