Coolant leak/puddle after plugging in block heater on Ck2610

/ Coolant leak/puddle after plugging in block heater on Ck2610 #1  

mangler

Gold Member
Tractor
Sears G5500, Kioti CK2610
I had a factory bloc heater installed when I bought the CK2610. Tried it out for the first time today. Plugged it in for 1/2 hour, came back to a coolant puddle on the floor. Investigation revealed some seapage around the main rad hose going into the bloc heater on top, which I tightened.

I am wondering if the bloc heater could be defective, could it be getting too hot and causing a leak? My coolant level sits at low mark right now, 29 hrs on the tractor. I may have been seeping all along, but the coolant evaporated and did not puddle. What puzzles me is how plugging in the bloc heater revealed the leak so well. Anyone have a similar experience?

/ Coolant leak/puddle after plugging in block heater on Ck2610 #2  
You're probably correct in that you've had the leak the whole time.
Heating the coolant causes it to expand and create pressure, which is being released at the hose clamp.
Patrick

/ Coolant leak/puddle after plugging in block heater on Ck2610
You're probably correct in that you've had the leak the whole time.
Heating the coolant causes it to expand and create pressure, which is being released at the hose clamp.
Patrick
It would seem so. I snugged up the top of block rad hose clamp, and no more visible leaks after the "heater bloc on" pressure test :)
I will keep an eye on it, as it is now on "low" level. I'll have the dealer top it up for free if i decide to get my 50 hr service there.