coolant recovery tank gurgling

/ coolant recovery tank gurgling #11  
Automotive tool and equipment suppliers like Snap-on, and others, make a cooling system pressure tester. It is basicly a hand pump with a pressure gauge. With the engine off and the system cold you remove the radiator cap, then attach the unit to the radiator opening. Pump it up to 13 to 15 PSI or whatevever the max pressure is for your machine, the radiator cap should indicate the max opressure. Let it sit for a couple of hours, if the pressure drops, you have a leak. Maybe a local mechanic or garage might let let you borrow their tester.

/ coolant recovery tank gurgling
The radiator screen looks clean. I don't think its over heating. I will try to do the compression test, I have a Snap-on compression tester for gas engines. Not sure if I have the correct threads for Kioti. Also the clear hose in place of the recovery bottle hose in the jug might be a good indicator. I'll will let you know what I find, it will be next Friday before I get back to the property.

/ coolant recovery tank gurgling #13  
blue262 said:
The radiator screen looks clean. I don't think its over heating. I will try to do the compression test, I have a Snap-on compression tester for gas engines. Not sure if I have the correct threads for Kioti. Also the clear hose in place of the recovery bottle hose in the jug might be a good indicator. I'll will let you know what I find, it will be next Friday before I get back to the property.

Gas tester will not have a compression range high enough for diesel

Joel

/ coolant recovery tank gurgling #14  
Of course it was overheating, the gauge was pegged. Start with the easy stuff like hoses, thermostat, radiator pluugage, and belt. When you shut the motor off, was the radiator hot?

/ coolant recovery tank gurgling #15  
Of course it was overheating, the gauge was pegged. Start with the easy stuff like hoses, thermostat, radiator pluugage, and belt. When you shut the motor off, was the radiator hot?
The easiest thing to do is fill your radiator with a/f mix and put a bit in the overflow tank too. Then monitor closely. You could have gotten low on coolant over time and its overheating because of that only. Check for radiator airflow obstruction too.
larry

/ coolant recovery tank gurgling #16  
When you have oil in the antifreeze where is it coming thru?

/ coolant recovery tank gurgling #17  
head or head gasket usually. Cracked cyl liner a possibility too ...
larry

/ coolant recovery tank gurgling #19  
Thanks ;looks like a pressure test is in order for one of my projects also.

/ coolant recovery tank gurgling
I went back out to the property with a few ideas to try. With the engine cold, I refilled the radiator and coolant recovery tank. I left the radiator cap off. As soon as the engine turned over white smoke came out of the muffler. The engine rpms were low and gradually recovered and the smoke stopped. The coolant started coming out of the radiator neck imediatelty, like a geyser, so I shut it down. I think this still points to a leaking head gasket. I don't think the coolant could have been pushed out ot the neck of the radiator by the water pump. Any other ideas? Thanks for the help from everyone.