Copper Tig welding.

/ Copper Tig welding.
If it took 150 amps for 1/8in and 300amps for 1/4, does than mean I can do 1/16 with 75amps. Yes this is a real question.
I played with some 1/16-inch wall pipe this morning. 120-amps seem to work fine to get a puddle going, but again it didn't take long before I was backing out of the pedal.

Attachments

• C pipe.JPG
    C pipe.JPG
    184 KB · Views: 794
   / Copper Tig welding. #12  
I wonder what kind of amps you'd need if you preheated. Do they have a flux cleaner for Copper?

/ Copper Tig welding. #13  
I played with some 1/16-inch wall pipe this morning. 120-amps seem to work fine to get a puddle going, but again it didn't take long before I was backing out of the pedal.

Very nice!

/ Copper Tig welding. #15  
Thats exactly what I was thinking about welding. Got to put together a moonshine still you know.

/ Copper Tig welding. #16  
Looks good. I don't think I would have bothered ordering proper welding rods though. With how cheap I am, I would have to try it with scrap electrical wire before spending anything.

/ Copper Tig welding. #17  
From what I have read, copper wire has a tendency to make a porous weld. Havent tried it so dont know if thats true or not. If true, I think the copper wire wouldnt be a good choice if you where going to do any structual or pressurized pipe welding. For what ever I would be doing, it would be ortamental so I suspect the copper wire would do just fine. Now just where did I put those moonshine still plans.

/ Copper Tig welding. #18  
I've been following this. Though I have never tried it (on my welding "bucket list") regular copper wire is pretty much pure copper, so it should not cause any problems in a copper weld.... Protected from oxidation by the insulation too, at least to some degree...

/ Copper Tig welding. #19  
I've been following this. Though I have never tried it (on my welding "bucket list") regular copper wire is pretty much pure copper, so it should not cause any problems in a copper weld.... Protected from oxidation by the insulation too, at least to some degree...

It works perfect bud, trust me ;)