Cordless Drills

/ Cordless Drills #1  

RichZ

Veteran Member
White Creek, New York, Washington County, on the V
Tractor
Kubota 4630 with cab and loader
I have no luck with cordless drills. I got my current one, a Hitachi 18 volt, 3/4 drill on sale at Lowes 2 years ago. The batteries don't hold a charge overnight anymore, and haven't for months. But it still worked well, until today, when I grabbed it to repair some metal roofing and the chuck had fallen apart. The interior of the chuck is actually missing, and I have no idea where it is, so it's time for a new cordless drill.

I'm a farmer, and I'm hard on my tools, but this is ridiculois. I've had Dewalt drills where the batteries and chucks didn't last either. So, I figure most drills won't last me for more than 2 years, so I want to get as cheap of a drill that will still be functional. I figure that reconditioned drills are the cheapest. I have a reconditoned Milwaukee Sawzall that I'm very happy with.

Short of Harbor Freight, do you guys have a suggestion for a cheap, but usable cordless drill? I figure that I need at least 18 volts for enough power to do what I usually need to do, such as fixing fencing, barn work, fixing metal roofing, etc.

Thanks for any suggestions!!!

/ Cordless Drills #2  
I've had good luck with Ryobis that I bought from Home Depot. Around this time of year you can get nice package deals on them with extra battery packs, etc.

There was a posting on the shop tips thread suggesting that dead batteries can be juiced back to life with a nudge form a 12v battery charger. Something to consider.

/ Cordless Drills #3  
Rich,
Do you keep the batteries on the charger all the time?
Do you keep them outside where they freeze or bake?

I have some De Walt batteries that are 5 years old and still very healthy considering the age and usage...But I never do either of the things above...

/ Cordless Drills #4  
I use my 18V stuff a lot. My 18v batteries last a couple years before they start getting weak.

It is more a matter of how the battery pack is built. On my DeWalt, there are a couple of batteries righ in the middle of the pack; they get hot, coll reall slow, and that is where you will have problems.

The chuck on my DeWalt 18v drill/driver got wobbly. Replaced it 5 years ago; it has worked great; there is a DeWalt service center only 45 minutes from me though...

Beware the batteries at Lowes, HD ect. If you buy just one, a DeWalt 18v is like $80. If you buy a 2-pack, they are only like $120. Worth the extra $40 to just get two batteries. I have bought off the internet, and got them cheaper. I can't find the link at the moment though...

/ Cordless Drills #5  
I have a 18v recon Rigid drill and I have a couple of old 9.6v makitas I picked up for next to nothing at pawn shops. I was working on a project where I had to back out some masonary screws and would up using one of the makitas because it appeared to me to have lower gearing and wasn't as bad about stripping the screw heads. Plus it wasn't as tiring to hold--and I was using the lithium 18v battery packs at that. YMMV.

/ Cordless Drills #6  
I own/use 1/2'' makita 18 v lithium. Have had no trouble. I burn up 2 1/2'' ridgid drills

/ Cordless Drills
I used to keep the drill and batteries in my house, but they didn't last any longer than 2 years, Now I keep them in my unheated shop. in my garage, and they last the same amount of time. I don't keep them in the charger, I know that burns them up. I wasn't surprised that the batteries got weak after a year and a half, but I was shocked that the chuck fell apart. Hitachi tools are supposed to be pretty good. Several years ago I bought my wife a Harbor Freight 18 volt cordless drill for her to use in the house. I figured for her light use, it would be fine, and it was until one of my dogs chewed it up. It wasn't as powerful as my Hitachi or my DeWalts, but it lasted just as long. And the chuck didn't fall apart as both the Hitachi and Dewalts did. Of course my wife didn't use it as hard as I used my drills, but I still at least expect the chuck to stay intact.

/ Cordless Drills #8  
My next one will be the 18 v lithium battery powered Milwaukee. Light weight and good staying power. Carpenter friend helped me with a project, and he had one. Really nice unit. May be other brands just as nice.

I've had a few other brands, but the best has been a 12v DeWalt. Bought a 14 v DeWalt, and the batteries didn't last long at all. I get a lot of life out of one of the 4 12 v batteries for the good DeWalt. The others won't hold a charge for long. Just long enough to get the one good one back on the job. :)

But it seems to be a crap shoot, and a lot of luck.

/ Cordless Drills #9  
I've had a porter cable 14.4 V for almost 10 years now and it still works good. The batteries don't hold a charge like they used to but I have 2 batteries and when I need to use it a lot i just switch the batteries. I use it on the farm all the time. If I have to do a lot of heavy duty drilling I run extension cords and use a half inch drill. I guess an 18v would help with that.

/ Cordless Drills #10  
I would put in a vote for Ryobi also. I have had three different sets and contiuned upgrading as batteries quit holding charges. The great thing about the Ryobi, is that replacement 18 volt batteries are only about $20 each. They have so many tools that use the 18 volt batteries too. My wife wanted a chainsaw to work in her section of the woods so I bought the Ryobi one that uses the 18 volt battery. My last set is a lithium set and I will now never go back to NiCads again. These batteries don't trickle down when not used for a few days and are much lighter in weight. The Ryobi lithium batteries have an onboard gauge and fit the older tools as well. I added an impact driver and wonder how I ever have lived without one. It will 3 inch drywall screws without requiring any pressing force and I never strip a head. I have never had a Ryobi cordless tool fail with fairly heavy use as I have built two houses and have been using them for 15 plus years.
Jeff