Cordless Snow blower recommendation?

/ Cordless Snow blower recommendation? #21  
I think the current popularity of battery powered powered yard tools would come to a fast stop if the suburban populus would simply learn the value of an ounce of "Stabil" or any other fuel additive in their gas can before they put it in their trunk and go to fill it.
I have zero problems with at least a dozen small engines, no matter how long they sit.
Last month I dug out my old gas air compressor with a Honda motor. It's been 10+ years since it's been run. The fuel had evaporated, I put it up on a makeshift sawhorse bench and prepared myself for a battle (I'm pretty helpless with small engines) did an oil change and it was running in 3-4 pulls! Even I was amazed.
Take care of your tools and they'll take care of you, it's not that battery tools don't have their place, they sure do heck I'm impressed and completely satisfied with my makita battery chainsaw although I'm already deep into the Makita cordless "platform" and as they typically do, price them at or near the cost of the batteries alone with the tool almost free.
I think "they" are just selling a dream with some of these applications.

/ Cordless Snow blower recommendation? #23  
Here is review of some:

I pushed through the fist one. No way I'd buy that. First part is the plastic, I just can't trust a snow blower with major parts built from plastic. Second is the power, at about 19:30 he has a shot of it throw snow awesome and as soon as there's a slight bogging down that distance is cut in half. Also seemed underpowered for me. Great for the guy with the two car driveway and walkway I'm sure but not much more.

*Location is GA but I'm only here for now because of my job, I earned my scars shoveling snow as a yute:oops: And soon I'll go home.

/ Cordless Snow blower recommendation? #24  
Energy Density:
Lead Acid Battery - 50 W-Hrs/kg​
Lithium Ion - 150 W-Hrs/kg​
Petroleum - 12,722 W-Hrs/kg​
This is 2008 data. Lithium metal batteries now under development promise 300 w-hrs/kg or more.
Lithium will never be anywhere close to as energy dense as petrol. We need better battery/energy storage tech before we have a "real" replacement. I have seen some materials (composites - very early research) that can store energy...such that if you built a building out of it the entire building would be able to store energy. So if we can't be as dense, we need the material to be more abundant. Imagine the entire structure and panels on a vehicle being made from a material that can store energy (ie the entire car is a battery). Thats the kind of drastic advancements we need before this full electric stuff can be a true replacement.

/ Cordless Snow blower recommendation? #25  
I think the current popularity of battery powered powered yard tools would come to a fast stop if the suburban populus would simply learn the value of an ounce of "Stabil" or any other fuel additive in their gas can before they put it in their trunk and go to fill it.
I have zero problems with at least a dozen small engines, no matter how long they sit.
Last month I dug out my old gas air compressor with a Honda motor. It's been 10+ years since it's been run. The fuel had evaporated, I put it up on a makeshift sawhorse bench and prepared myself for a battle (I'm pretty helpless with small engines) did an oil change and it was running in 3-4 pulls! Even I was amazed.
Take care of your tools and they'll take care of you, it's not that battery tools don't have their place, they sure do heck I'm impressed and completely satisfied with my makita battery chainsaw although I'm already deep into the Makita cordless "platform" and as they typically do, price them at or near the cost of the batteries alone with the tool almost free.
I think "they" are just selling a dream with some of these applications.
I have a husqvarna self propelled mower with a Honda engine. It is about 12 years old. If it died I might consider electric replacement....but it still starts on 1 pull every time...ok maybe 3 after sitting all winter.

I also think battery is great for a city/suburb homeowner. Most of the implements have enough juice to get what they need done (except maybe a huge lawn mowed). The real challenge will be lawn services and rural folks because we have so much more work to do, and we aren't always 50 ft from a place to charge things. I can't take a batter powered chainsaw up my ridge and cut timber for 3 hours, even with 3 batteries. First, not enough power. Second, run out of juice. Sure I could bring a generator with me...but what's the point.

/ Cordless Snow blower recommendation? #26  
I’m all for using battery tools where they work but a snowblower isn’t one of them. My gas blower isn’t going anywhere either.

/ Cordless Snow blower recommendation? #27  
Unless you are hoping to clear an inch of light powder I would avoid. I tried a corded blower just to clear off my porch. I left it at the end of my driveway for free. Totally useless.

/ Cordless Snow blower recommendation? #28  
I purchased a 20" 80V Greenworks snowblower a few years ago. I would have *never* bought such a thing, but Lowe's had it heavily cleranced down to an impulse-buy level of $25.

I use it on sidewalks and the portion of our paved driveway near and around the vehicles. It works surprisingly well for up to about 6" of powdery snow. It does not, however, work very well for more than about 2" of wet snow. It will also attempt to eat a gravel driveway for breakfast.

Here's everything I can think of relating to the specific snow blower I have as well as some more general sentiments regarding battery-powered yard implements.

Pros:
- Works well for sidewalks (< 6" powder, < 2" wet)
- Works well for paved/concrete areas (< 6" powder, < 2" wet)
- Throws snow far enough to get it out of the way
- Small enough to maneuver down sidewalks and between vehicles
- Light
- Quiet
- Batteries can work for other tools
- No need for keeping gasoline on-hand
- No "maintenance" (oil changes, emptying carb in off-season, air filter)

Cons:
- Does not handle heavy snow well
- Does not work well on gravel
- Does not work well if there's any underlying ice
- Not self-propelled
- Generally lacks power for workloads other than "light" use
- Snow chute can clog easily with wet snow

/ Cordless Snow blower recommendation? #29  
I have a cordless snow blower. One end has a handle. I put my right hand on the end of the handle, and my left hand about two feet down. The other end has a flat section for scooping snow. By holding on to the handle end with my right hand, and quickly pulling up with my left hand after filling the flat bottom section with snow, the snow gets blown away by the wind.

Seriously, I've never seen a battery operated snow blower. Unless you're doing a short sidewalk, and after a light snow fall of powder snow, I can't see a battery operated one being of much use, unless it has a huge battery pack, if there is such a thing.

I had an electric, corded snow blower many years ago when I lived in the city. I only had a small, two vehicle parking area, and it was ok if it was a fairly light snow fall up to 4 in. or so, but anything more, the one mentioned above did a better and faster, even if more strenuous job.

We've lived on 8 acres in the country for the last 13 years now, and even if the last three winters have seen very little snow, until then, keeping the about 400 ft. of driveways clear has kept me very busy every winter. I have everything from shovels, a walk-behind blower, a garden tractor mounted blower, another garden tractor with a blade, a pickup with an 8 ft. blade and an old Massey Harris 55 with a front end loader.

If you live in an area where you can expect snowfalls of 6 in. or more, and have anything more than a two vehicle driveway, I'd be looking at a gas powered 20 to 24 in. 2 stage blower.

Paul in Saskatchewan

/ Cordless Snow blower recommendation? #30  
When you say "cordless", do you mean a BATTERY powered snowblower??

I've never seen one. Would not be interested in one.

I have gas and tractor-mounted snowblowers. That's my experience and they both work great!

Around here, we call those shovels. Like you, I use the gas powered and tractor mounted ones and do a good job.