Cordwood Saw (Buzz Saw)

/ Cordwood Saw (Buzz Saw) #11  
<font color=blue>How much PTO horse power is needed to run a PTO saw? </font color=blue>
Dan
Ran my 30” Buzz saw with a B7100 HST. I believe it had 12 HP PTO. Could not stall tractor.
Also ran it with a gas Farmal 340. Could stall the engine out with a large log and feeding it to fast. Tractor was over 30 years old at that time.

/ Cordwood Saw (Buzz Saw) #12  
Our buzz saw is on a 1940 Farmall A, which is around 19hp at the PTO (gas engine). It handles it just fine.

/ Cordwood Saw (Buzz Saw) #13  
These things have always scared the livin' daylights out of me ... most of the ones that I was around had no guards or anything to help you keep from getting something cut off ... we built one and used it as a cut off saw ... it was powered by a 3-phase 5 hp electric motor ... it was on a tilt arm much like the miter saws of today just much larger ... we did put a home made saw guard on that one ... others had no guards (used at the saw mill) ... we were very lucky not have someone hurt by a kick back or something ...

/ Cordwood Saw (Buzz Saw) #14  
The Model T sawrig had no govenor, so you sawed by ear and that was when it became dicey. The tractor with a govenor was a whole new ball game, and about twice as fast. bcs

/ Cordwood Saw (Buzz Saw) #15  
My uncle built a pto saw rig that rides on a trailer. PTO shaft to a chopper box gear box. Then out to a large v-belt pulley to a small v-belt pulley on the arbor. Told me this should be a safer method of running power to the blade. He balanced the table for the log so it moves in and out with little effort. It is a nice setup.

/ Cordwood Saw (Buzz Saw)
Dad's farm bordered a national forest and had a lot of brush and timber. He used a JD AO to run a belt forward to a front mounted buzz saw. My brother and I loaded the wood into a trailer. As an adult, a friend and I used a buzz saw mounted on a JD 420 to cut up the salvage from an old house that burned. We were careful to pull the nails and we made a lot of good fire wood out of scraps of studs and flooring that we were unable to salvage for lumber. While not high on my wish list of attachments for my soon to be purchased tractor, a buzz saw would certainly be useful for salvaging wood from larger branches and limbs as I work my timber property.