cornhead grease gearbox seal trouble help

/ cornhead grease gearbox seal trouble help #1  

kyles974

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 2320 with 200cx FEL...RM550 Woods Finish Mower...GradeMaster Grader....Ratchet Rake
Im so upset right now...or sad.
While researching seal replacement fir my Woods RM550 and ran across threads using jd cornhead grease for years. So I researched that topic. Decided to go with the grease since I couldnt get to the seal.

Well I put the grease in last week. Finally got a chance to go back out and work on it some more and found this:sorry...cant load pic from phone for some reason...
but the grease or the oil thats in the grease has leaked out about a tablespoon of it onto the deck.

I guess I would be so mad...but I have painted everything and put JD Stickers on it to match my jd tractor. Also has a new belt and dont dare to continue since the oil/grease I would think.....would wreck the brand new belt that cost me like $40 bucks
Please...save comments about .."should have fixed it right"
...I would have but couldnt. Didnt know to get to seal after taken large gear pulley off the bottom of gearbox.

Any ways.....anyone have suggestions?
Im assuming I will need to take back apart....clean out the grease and take the gearbox to one who can replace the seal. Just bummed..and also heard or read many who have fix the seal with new one....ends up having a leaky seal in time to xome.

/ cornhead grease gearbox seal trouble help
20130606_125133.jpg

disreguard the pic of wife feeding the ducks...loaded the wrong pic and couldnt take it off.....lol
anyhow...my little watering hole for the ducks was dug with my jd 2320 ;)

Attachments

• 20120430_171806.jpg
    20120430_171806.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 269
20130606_125043.jpg

/ cornhead grease gearbox seal trouble help #4  
Maybe it is not the cornhead grease leaking out but the remaining gear oil you had in the gear box...Unless you removed all ...every bit of the gear oil before you loaded the cornhead grease then I am betting the leak is just the remaining gear oil you had and will stop once it is all expelled...the gear oil is much thinner than the cornhead grease...You might want to wait just a bit...I have cornhead grease loaded in a couple of my gear boxes and no problem with leaks but it did at first since I had remnants of the gear oil...once gone , all was fine.

Maybe it is not the cornhead grease leaking out but the remaining gear oil you had in the gear box...Unless you removed all ...every bit of the gear oil before you loaded the cornhead grease then I am betting the leak is just the remaining gear oil you had and will stop once it is all expelled...the gear oil is much thinner than the cornhead grease...You might want to wait just a bit...I have cornhead grease loaded in a couple of my gear boxes and no problem with leaks but it did at first since I had remnants of the gear oil...once gone , all was fine.

makes since.
I do feel much better..but when I put my finger in it...it seemed to have a green tint to it so I instantly thought it had to be some of the ...liquid that seemed to be in the grease....if that makes any since...lol.

I still have to order new blades...so it will be a couple weeks before I do get it up and going...

maybe I will throw the old belt on and run that one for a day before I run the new belt when i do run the mower for the first time?? I just hate to wreck a new belt from any oil soaking in??

Also....I did have the gearbox off...so I thoight I did get all the old oil out....but that was a couple months ago...to many things with work going on....so cant remember off top of head how I drained it.....lol

/ cornhead grease gearbox seal trouble help #6  
maybe I will throw the old belt on and run that one for a day before I run the new belt when i do run the mower for the first time?? I just hate to wreck a new belt from any oil soaking in??

There ya go Kyles ...great idea...that's what I would do before you tear up that gear box and go through all that expense...I mean JD would not put the cornhead grease in their gear box unless it worked , it has worked for me and I had the left over gear oil come out just like you....Great Idea.

There ya go Kyles ...great idea...that's what I would do before you tear up that gear box and go through all that expense...I mean JD would not put the cornhead grease in their gear box unless it worked , it has worked for me and I had the left over gear oil come out just like you....Great Idea.

thanks guys ...I feel much better now.
like said...it probally will be a couple weeks before I get blades and run it.....BUT I will post an update once I run it fir a couple hours.

thanks

/ cornhead grease gearbox seal trouble help #8  
The Corn Head Grease has "pushed" out the what was left of the remaining grease that was inside the gear box. I'd replace the seal and keep on going.

/ cornhead grease gearbox seal trouble help #9  
seal repalcement is of course the right answer. however. I tend to agree with the others. might be a lil residual oil seeped out. and.. in heat. almost any grease will bleed a bit.

if it's bothering you, take the plug out and shoot in some #2 gun grease to tighten it up.

then run it till warm.

PS.. if a lil oil dribble on a piece of tractor operated gear is bumming you out. It might be time to sell it all now and hire out 100% of yer work done.

JUST SAYIN.. ;)

oil and grease leaks are natures way of water and rust proofing your tractor. ;)