Correct PTO RPM to Bush Hog

/ Correct PTO RPM to Bush Hog #11  
I just throw the coals to my Kubota, (WFO) and let the chips fall where they may. It has a line on the tach for the needed 540 rpm transition to PTO.

/ Correct PTO RPM to Bush Hog #12  
Farmwithjunk said:
If it was harmfull to run at slower engine speeds or slower blade speeds when that works, explain to me why I have tractors that have been with me and on the job longer than most of you guys have been on this earth and they still run like the day they were new, considering how I choose to use them.

It is a waste to run a piece of equipment harder than it needs to be ran unless you're simply trying to wear it out as fast as you can.

Afternoon Bill,
Last sentence. Because the dealer gets the tractor back to fix sooner that way ! ;) :)

Oh my gosh, here we go on the PTO speed again ! :rolleyes: :confused: :eek:

/ Correct PTO RPM to Bush Hog #13  
scott_vt said:
Oh my gosh, here we go on the PTO speed again ! :rolleyes: :confused: :eek:

Yep! Me and my antique tractors have been around through about a thousand of these "wind 'em up 'till they pop" debates. I'll keep on taking it easy on mine and let the rest of these guys keep trading theirs in on another "victim". ;)

/ Correct PTO RPM to Bush Hog #14  
Farmwithjunk said:
Yep! Me and my antique tractors have been around through about a thousand of these "wind 'em up 'till they pop" debates. I'll keep on taking it easy on mine and let the rest of these guys keep trading theirs in on another "victim". ;)

Agreed ! :) Dont think the Massey has ever seen PTO speed yet, cuts like a dream and aint usin much fuel either ! ;)

/ Correct PTO RPM to Bush Hog #15  
LoneCowboy said:
You should run it at 540
rotary cutters work thru speed of the big heavy blade, not sharpness of the blade.
And if you don't have that speed, it's just not going to give a good cut, nor handle it. They are designed to run at 540 for YEARS, the only thing you are stressing is your motor by making it work harder.

let the speed of the blade do the work.

Right on! Couldn't of said it better myself.

/ Correct PTO RPM to Bush Hog #16  
Gatorboy said:
Right on! Couldn't of said it better myself.

Hmmm guess that's why I've only got 36 years out of my oldest tractor and it's still in almost new condition, that "stressing the motor" part.... Let 'er rip guys!

/ Correct PTO RPM to Bush Hog #17  
Hey Bill,
How long do you think your sicklemower would last at 540 RPM ???;)

/ Correct PTO RPM to Bush Hog #18  
scott_vt said:
Hey Bill,
How long do you think your sicklemower would last at 540 RPM ???;)

Hard to say, but it's been around since I owned my TO-30....and that was sold in 1978. It's probably never seen 440 rpm. And it cuts like a surgeons scalpel.

Hey Scotty, you don't recon this is a Massey thing do ya? We just picked a brand that can take all this stress'n we put on 'em maybe.????

Oh wait, my Fords were ran with a little consideration and they liked it. And my Deere's were treated like I wanted them to last, and they did.... Oh well, maybe it's just us....

/ Correct PTO RPM to Bush Hog #19  
Farmwithjunk said:
Hmmm guess that's why I've only got 36 years out of my oldest tractor and it's still in almost new condition, that "stressing the motor" part.... Let 'er rip guys!

You'd still have 36 years out of it. Unfortunately my tractor is only 20 years old -- but it has over 9000 hours on it, and my mower has about 5000 hours on it.

I'll let you know in 16 more years if the tractor is still running strong.

/ Correct PTO RPM to Bush Hog #20  
Gatorboy said:
You'd still have 36 years out of it. Unfortunately my tractor is only 20 years old -- but it has over 9000 hours on it, and my mower has about 5000 hours on it.

I'll let you know in 16 more years if the tractor is still running strong.

I'll be waiting.....with engine running at less than full rpms.....;)