Correct use of shuttle shifter

/ Correct use of shuttle shifter #1  

steve2

Tractor
kubota m7040
Have a 2013 M7040SUHD with shuttle shift lever on steering column. I clutch every time I move lever between forward and reverse. Working with friend today operating a compact tractor with forward and reverse pedals no clutch action applied when stepping on forward and reverse pedals. OM for my tractor doesn’t address the question. Have I been stomping a redundant extra step every time I go between forward and reverse for ten years or properly operating the shuttle shift?

/ Correct use of shuttle shifter #3  
Well for fwd reverse anyway still need to clutch to shift gears 😉

/ Correct use of shuttle shifter #4  
Depressing foot pedal on M7040 with hyd shuttle only opens a hyd valve. Loading/unloading rd bales with my M7040 hyd shuttle I utilize foot accelerator pedal so engine lowers to idle speed when changing directions without depressing clutch pedal. Only utilize clutch pedal for changing standard gear box & hi-lo gears

/ Correct use of shuttle shifter #5  
Have a 2013 M7040SUHD with shuttle shift lever on steering column. I clutch every time I move lever between forward and reverse. Working with friend today operating a compact tractor with forward and reverse pedals no clutch action applied when stepping on forward and reverse pedals. OM for my tractor doesn’t address the question. Have I been stomping a redundant extra step every time I go between forward and reverse for ten years or properly operating the shuttle shift?
Though one need not use the clutch when changing directions with your hydraulic shuttle transmission, is is good practice to do so.

Sounds like friend's tractor is a hydrostat, a completely different animal.

/ Correct use of shuttle shifter #6  
Operated shuttle shift tractors alot - no clutching is needed unless changing gears.
Even then some of these tractors had a 4 spd tranny and no clutch

/ Correct use of shuttle shifter #7  
Though one need not use the clutch when changing directions with your hydraulic shuttle transmission, is is good practice to do so.

Sounds like friend's tractor is a hydrostat, a completely different animal.
My '11 Kubota M7040 operators manual clearly states on page 22 that to shift hyd hi-lo doesn't require use of clutch pedal! My M7040 has had direction of travel changed many 100's times in the 1800 hrs of use handling rd bales.

/ Correct use of shuttle shifter #8  
Operated shuttle shift tractors alot - no clutching is needed unless changing gears.
Even then some of these tractors had a 4 spd tranny and no clutch
Hydraulic shuttle no need to clutch.
Manual shuttle or most synchronized shuttles you do need to clutch to forward/reverse

/ Correct use of shuttle shifter #9  
My '11 Kubota M7040 operators manual clearly states on page 22 that to shift hyd hi-lo doesn't require use of clutch pedal! My M7040 has had direction of travel changed many 100's times in the 1800 hrs of use handling rd bales.
As I stated, not needed but good practice.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / Correct use of shuttle shifter #10  
Have hydraulic shuttle no clutch forward, reverse I do use clutch when changing gears, engaging pto, it's an old l 4150 and imo best of both worlds. My 2850 has manual shuttle, clutch required F/R if only my 4150 had a loader id consider fixing the few non detrimental quirks it has. In any case a hydraulic shuttle sold me and is what I'll always be interested in from now on.

Last edited: