Cost of Brick

/ Cost of Brick #1  

MMH

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4500
I know that there are allot of variables, but what are some typical costs in Western PA for the brick, mortar, and labor? I'm going to put an addition on to the house & plan of doing a walkout basement. This is the part that will have to be bricked if I wanted an exact match with the front of the house. I would need approximately 400 sq. ft.

/ Cost of Brick #2  
Good luck with finding an exact match on the brick. Do you have any leftover laying around that you can check with local suppliers? Or perhaps do you know the builder and can find out if he still has the records for your build?

If you're hiring a mason to do the work, I strongly suggest that they provide a sample of a batch of mortar before they begin work in order to verify a match.

If your house is old, it may be quite a challenge to get it exact.

/ Cost of Brick #3  
400 sqft of brick should be pretty cheap. Depending on the size of brick you will need 2000 to 3000 brick. In my area brick sells for $300 to $500 per thousand and labor to install is typically $400 to $700 per thousand.

/ Cost of Brick #4  
7 bricks per sq ft X's .50 per brick, so materials not bad.
Labor is the big factor, not alot of masons left, at least around here you would pay a hefty premium for any real masonry work (as opposed to stack up landscape blocks).

But if it's what will match the house, it'll be well worth the extra cost in the long run.

As far as matching materials, you should be able to find a brick that is close and with the mortar, it's almost impossible to match exactly, just remember darker is always better than lighter.

JB

/ Cost of Brick #5  
A buddy of mine built a brick home about 4 years ago. He estimated $1.50/brick for materials and labor and said he was pretty spot on.