Cost of running a 45-65HP FEL 4WD Tractor?

/ Cost of running a 45-65HP FEL 4WD Tractor?
If you can't, park the tractor and give the wife a shovel :).

JayC

Some how I don't think you've tried this... :laughing: Or you're quick and got out of shovel range fast...

Another question, How happy is a FEL on a farm tractor digging into natural gravel banks? I need a few dozen yards of material to raise my driveway in spots. Can a 65 hp 4wd tractor fold up a loader easily or does it take some real effort? Right now my "equipment" is a 300 Kingquad which seems to be totally idiot proof, in terms of plowing and towing.

I am adding up all the jobs that need to be done now or soon to sell a tractor to my dear wife, its getting pretty close to the price of some of the tractors I'm interested in.

/ Cost of running a 45-65HP FEL 4WD Tractor? #13  
I've used my 50ish hp tractor with FEL and toothbar quite effectively to load rock/gravel/dirt into my dump trailer...... 4wd required, but it's no problem. The amount of material you are discussing is absolutely no problem to dig out... transport is what is time consuming, either in FEL scoops or on a trailer.

Toothbar is mandatory as is lots of rear counterweight.

/ Cost of running a 45-65HP FEL 4WD Tractor? #14  
My advice is to buy the biggest tractor you think you will need the first time. It is easier to do little jobs with a bigger tractor than it is to do larger jobs with a smaller tractor.

Just keep in mind that you need $ left over to buy impliments.

you could have the biggest tractor you'll ever need but if you have no money left over to buy a box blade or bail spear or pallet forks or brush hog then the tractor is fairly worthless on its own.

/ Cost of running a 45-65HP FEL 4WD Tractor? #15  
Another question, How happy is a FEL on a farm tractor digging into natural gravel banks? I need a few dozen yards of material to raise my driveway in spots. Can a 65 hp 4wd tractor fold up a loader easily or does it take some real effort? Right now my "equipment" is a 300 Kingquad which seems to be totally idiot proof, in terms of plowing and towing.

I am adding up all the jobs that need to be done now or soon to sell a tractor to my dear wife, its getting pretty close to the price of some of the tractors I'm interested in.

If you are diigging in a natural gravel bank, it can be done with care and a toothbar, shale, you are going to have a hard time and put a lot of wear and tear on the machine. This size machine will do a lot of work, but it is not a bulldozer or track loader.

/ Cost of running a 45-65HP FEL 4WD Tractor? #16  
Just keep in mind that you need $ left over to buy impliments.

you could have the biggest tractor you'll ever need but if you have no money left over to buy a box blade or bail spear or pallet forks or brush hog then the tractor is fairly worthless on its own.

My experience has been to save and buy what you need the FIRST time. Trying to save money by buying smaller equipment and using it beyond it's capabilities usually costs more in the long run.

/ Cost of running a 45-65HP FEL 4WD Tractor? #17  
If you can fit in those areas that the little jobs are located.

The 80/20 rule applies if there is a financial dimension.
e.g. buy the tractor that will do 80% of the tasks for 20% of the cost that the tractor big enough to do ALL the tasks would cost.
Hire out the HUGE tasks with (some of) your savings.

In any case; Yes almost any Cat 2 tractor should do most of what you asked.

Well it sounds like I'm thinking about the right size of tractor. Now I have to figure out what to look for in a used one...
I'm making a list of dealers close enough to do service, so it will limit my options in terms of brands a bit.
I'll do some reading in the buying/pricing forum, and get some advice. Probably I should go through a dealer for my first tractor, as I don't really don't have that much experience with operating one, so I can't really put it through its paces and know what's a problem.

/ Cost of running a 45-65HP FEL 4WD Tractor? #19  
Kind of like buying a used car. Check under the hood and kick the tires!

Kind of like buying a used car. Check under the hood and kick the tires!

That easy eh! There's a private sale tractor I'm interested in and there's a dealer pretty close by. I was thinking of borrowing their mechanic for a couple hours to come with me to look at it. Is this worthwhile? Probably depends alot on the mechanic I guess...