cost of tractors vs cost of autos, etc

/ cost of tractors vs cost of autos, etc #11  
Not sure I'd use the term "practicality" for a tractor unless you "need" it (farmer)....it does make life a lot more enjoyable and it makes the tasks that it preforms much esier to get done.:thumbsup:

I guess practicality can mean different things to people. For me the ability to do things on my own for often times much less money than paying to have it done and in the end still having considerable value left over fits into practical for "me". I can honestly see how another may not agree with it being practical because their understanding of practical is different. Maybe mine just helps me to justify the expenditure, but for now it works for me. :)

/ cost of tractors vs cost of autos, etc #12  
Maybe mine just helps me to justify the expenditure, but for now it works for me. :)

:laughing:I'm just pushing buttons with semantics.....I'm cheap and have a hard time letting the cash go, but I actually agree....I got by for years in all but the deepest snows by just driving through the snow (and if it was too deep then whole area shutdown anyway), but now that I have the ability, it seems more "practical" to plow the driveway with my little tractor even when it's just a few inches deep:thumbsup:

/ cost of tractors vs cost of autos, etc #13  
Tractors are only practical for farmers? Let me see now. It is late February,or noreaster blew in and dropped 18 inches of wet snow. I have a 1200 ft of driveway.Three people that have to get to work. I can either spend 3 hours walking behind a snowblower,or I can drop the backblade and be done in 45 minutes.
60x80 garden, I can spend days rototilling with a walk behind,or I can push in a clutch move 3 levers and be done in a couple of hours
Almost three acres of grass to mow
Fire wood, do I carry logs out of the woods on my back? or do I hook a chain around them and drive
We bought a chunk of land and built a house. Ford 8n box blade,back blade, rear scoop.york rake. investment about $4000 a summers worth of good seat time. vs. 20,000 paying a landscaper.
What part of practical am I missing?

/ cost of tractors vs cost of autos, etc #14  
I have a 1996 JD870 tractor and loader for sale now for $11,000. It too is in great shape, and Ive had 7 people come and look at it and have had a couple of offers in the 9500 - 10,000 range. i should probably sell it for 10k, but it has always been under cover and very well maintained. it is in perfect working order, and starts and runs great. so I'm holding firm in my price.( QUOTE )

Buying a quality product....... like John Deere .......... come sale time buyers are fighting over them even at outrageous prices. I want to be around when you bite into the koita, get a sour taste, and put it up for sale. The cab will be the main feature.
Resale is just more than a tractor or truck. If you want a good comparison my 66 427 corvette was six grand new. Now nice examples are 45-70k. And with 42k on the odometer it has some roads to travel.
Would a heavily optioned 1966 four wheel drive truck in mint condition bring 6k ?
I try to buy good quality / name brand / and something very popular to my area. I like to update my " farm " related equipment and it isn't that expensive to be current. I have a soft spot for old ( too many ) corvettes but you will never catch me on a 50s tractor.

Last edited:
   / cost of tractors vs cost of autos, etc #15  
Bought a Toyota Rav4 back in 2001 for 24,000. Sold it a month ago with 160,000 miles on it for 4500.00. Any tractor with around 500 to 1000 hours or so would most likely sell for around 65 to 75% of what it cost new ten years ago and ten later from now would only drop another 10 to 20% at most long after the car body has either rusted or sent to the melter. Does not take rocket science or a degree in finance to figure out the practicality of a tractor.

160,000 miles is at best a 3000 hour machine, not 500-1000. 160,000 miles at a liberal estimate of 50mph is 3200 hours. Also take into consideration there is a lot more wear and tear on a car travelling 160,000 miles than on a tractor running for 3000 hours. Apples and oranges.

/ cost of tractors vs cost of autos, etc #16  
I have a 1996 JD870 tractor and loader for sale now for $11,000. It too is in great shape, and Ive had 7 people come and look at it and have had a couple of offers in the 9500 - 10,000 range. i should probably sell it for 10k, but it has always been under cover and very well maintained. it is in perfect working order, and starts and runs great. so I'm holding firm in my price.( QUOTE )

Buying a quality product....... like John Deere .......... come sale time buyers are fighting over them even at outrageous prices. I want to be around when you bite into the koita, get a sour taste, and put it up for sale. The cab will be the main feature.
Resale is just more than a tractor or truck. If you want a good comparison my 66 427 corvette was six grand new. Now nice examples are 45-70k. And with 42k on the odometer it has some roads to travel.
Would a heavily optioned 1966 four wheel drive truck in mint condition bring 6k ?
I try to buy good quality / name brand / and something very popular to my area. I like to update my " farm " related equipment and it isn't that expensive to be current. I have a soft spot for old ( too many ) corvettes but you will never catch me on a 50s tractor.

AB did you ever run your car through a timed quarter mile? Back in 68 I had a 428 Mustang and was challenged by such a car as yours. At the time I had a bad clutch so I had to turn down the challenge. I never saw that guy again so I was always curious what would have happened as I never lost a street race with that car. On street tires, she ran 12'8s-12.9's. Slow in comparison to some of todays street cars but I never stopped wondering bout that night.

/ cost of tractors vs cost of autos, etc #17  
I want to be around when you bite into the koita, get a sour taste, and put it up for sale. The cab will be the main feature.
I've owned a JD 850 for years.
11 years ago I purchased a Kioti DK 35. Its been every bit as well built and reliable as my JD.

/ cost of tractors vs cost of autos, etc
i now have 208 hours and about 14-15 months on the Kioti..... still loves it

/ cost of tractors vs cost of autos, etc #19  
I bought my car (Hyundai Accent) for $10,000 new 7 years ago, its a 2005 model. Its my daily driver, Sunday best, and only car. I have a 2007 Honda Ruckus scooter for backup. I'm retired and 70 years old so my wife and I only need one car.

I bought this John Deere X728 with a cab, tiller and snowblower in 2010 for $20,000.

So I paid twice as much for the tractor as I did for my car. I have 19 hours on the tractor as of today, and my total property size is around one acre

The tractor allows me to stay here and clean out my driveway with out getting beat up by a walk behind blower. I'm staying pretty much independent so far for my age with the tractor.

Looking back at buying the tractor and car I can say one thing for sure, I would sell my car and take the city bus before I would let loose of the tractor. I like driving it and enjoy just looking at it just as much.

07tractor.jpg

Heres my backup.

17brdone.jpg

Rob

/ cost of tractors vs cost of autos, etc #20  
i don't think my tractor has lost a dime in value since i purchased it:D. but lets not get started on my other toys..... motocross bikes loose about 50% after a season or so and i paid 8k for the last one:eek: i decieded a few bikes ago that there was no point in selling them any more so they just get added to the collection.