Costa Cruise Line and Northern Europe

/ Costa Cruise Line and Northern Europe #1  

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
Karen and I are thinking about going on another cruise in Europe next year, and we're really liking the one on Costa that goes to Northern Europe. We've found roundtrip air to Oslo for $1,100 each, which is about $500 less then any other place in the area for that time we'll be there. We're thinking that we might rent a car and drive from Oslo, though Sweden and to the port in Germany, then fly back to Oslo after the cruise is over.

Show Cruise Information

Has anybody been there? Any experience with Costa? I'm reading reviews on cruise critic. So far, it's seems like an alright cruise line. Anybody rented a car in Norway or Sweden?

Eddie

/ Costa Cruise Line and Northern Europe #2  
Has anybody been there?

We've done the Baltic a few years ago. Here is a photo of Oslo. A driving trip from Germany
should be fun. We have done a bunch of driving in Germany, Denmark, and Spain, but not
Sweden or Norway.

Attachments

• DSCN0617.JPG
    DSCN0617.JPG
    831.2 KB · Views: 97
   / Costa Cruise Line and Northern Europe #3  
You did hear about the Costa ship that hit the rocks along the coast of Italy, killing over 30 due the negligence of the idiot captain, didn't you?
And now you are considering cruising on one of their ships?????? Trust me they are not the only cruise line that goes and does where and what you are wanting to do. Read about this and what the passengers went through and none have any recourse through the law, none.
Personally, I wouldn't cruise with them if it were free or even if they paid me.

/ Costa Cruise Line and Northern Europe #4  
To rent a car in Norway so I recommend Aivis they are here too. If you have any questions regarding Norway I will try to help you as best I can. And by the way if you take the tour, welcome to my part of the world

/ Costa Cruise Line and Northern Europe
To rent a car in Norway so I recommend Aivis they are here too. If you have any questions regarding Norway I will try to help you as best I can. And by the way if you take the tour, welcome to my part of the world

Thank you. The cruise departs and arrives at Kiel Germany, and the best airfare gets us to Oslo two days early, and leaves the day after the cruise. I've read that you can fly from Oslo to Germany for around $100 one way, but haven't confirmed that yet. With a couple of days to get to Kiel, we are wondering what there is to see and do driving down the Western Coast of Sweden, starting in Oslo? Do you thinking driving conditions, laws, signs are similar to the USA?

Thanks,
Eddie

We've done the Baltic a few years ago. Here is a photo of Oslo. A driving trip from Germany
should be fun. We have done a bunch of driving in Germany, Denmark, and Spain, but not
Sweden or Norway.

Did you rent the car at the airport and return it to the same airport or did you start and stop and different locations? Do you need a special license to drive in Europe?

Thanks,
Eddie

You did hear about the Costa ship that hit the rocks along the coast of Italy, killing over 30 due the negligence of the idiot captain, didn't you?
And now you are considering cruising on one of their ships?????? Trust me they are not the only cruise line that goes and does where and what you are wanting to do. Read about this and what the passengers went through and none have any recourse through the law, none.
Personally, I wouldn't cruise with them if it were free or even if they paid me.

I've been looking and looking, but I can't find a cruise ship that goes to all these places. Do you know of one that does?

As for the accident, I agree it was pretty bad. So are train, airline and automobile accidents. If I didn't use any of those modes of travel, I would never leave my house. What bothers me more about Costa is their policy on smoking, which I'm learning is pretty open. Lots of complaints about the smell of smoke all over the ship. Neither of us smoke, and we prefer not to smell it.

Thanks,
Eddie

/ Costa Cruise Line and Northern Europe #8  
The roads are probably a little narrower than you are used to and the speed is typically 80 km/h 49,7mph on normal roads highway is 100 km/h 62mph To find things to see Travel to Norway - Official Travel Guide to Norway - visitnorway.com www.visitsweden.com it's easier than make suggestions when I do not know what can intrest you. The laws I'm not quite sure what the difference is, but as long as you show respect and follow the signs should not be a big problen. You can drive on your license there in Norway. Here is the European road signs roadsigns-20120316T031458-zzrl7pn-europe.png

/ Costa Cruise Line and Northern Europe #9  
Duble post arg

/ Costa Cruise Line and Northern Europe #10  
I might see about getting a International Driving Permit (IDP) from AAA International Driving Permits
Some countries require it and even if they dont, it might make things go easier if you get pulled over by an officer who not read/speak english well.

Aaron Z