Could ROPS bolts be easier to use?

/ Could ROPS bolts be easier to use? #1  

jstreet

Tractor
Kubota B3030
I am conscientious about putting up the foldable ROPS each time I take my new B3030 out of the garage to plow snow (which has been discouragingly seldom this "winter").
I just wondered if anyone but me has wondered why Kubota makes putting up the ROPS so clumsy. After unfolding the ROPS, you have to line up the holes and screw in a threaded bolt, then secure it with a pin. It seems an unnecessarily cumbersome process, and almost a disincentive to use the ROPS.
Why not simply have a slide-through pin secured with a clip like you use to secure a 3pt-hitch attachment?
Would this somehow be less secure? Any thoughts?

/ Could ROPS bolts be easier to use? #2  
Jay:
Funny, I've thought the same thing about the ROPS on my L4400. It's only been apart once and I can't believe how clumsy I felt taking the two bolts out--it took about 20 minutes and I still had to pound the bar back to boot. I'm thinking maybe a pin with a hairpin keeper would do it. It's still folded down because I originally had to lower it because of frost heaving in the driveway wouldn't let me get out of where I store the tractor.
simonmeridew

/ Could ROPS bolts be easier to use? #3  
I replaced the folding ROPS on my B3030 just so I didn't have to hassle with folding and unfolding it all the time. Unless you also have a BH the non-folding ROPS is a better option IMHO. It gets under the trees a lot better, too.

If you keep the folding ROPS and use pins to secure it up or down I think you will find at certain RPMs that it will vibrate if not bolted tightly together. While my B3030 is fairly smooth running, at times it develops a harmonic that causes some things to buzz a little. An example is WOT. If I back it down just a hair it smoothes right out. The only time I run at WOT is mowing so the vibes can be quite annoying when running for any length of time.

Attachments

• 821471-P1010042 (Small).JPG
    821471-P1010042 (Small).JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 193
   / Could ROPS bolts be easier to use? #4  
i've noticed the same thing on my L3130! oh well, at least it gets a good long warm up while i put the bolts in.

/ Could ROPS bolts be easier to use? #5  
Hi, there was a post years ago about this on the L '10 tractors. I followed the advice and have been happy with it for 5 years or so.

Here's what you do. Go to the local farm supply store, knowing the diameter of the bolt, and get a hardened pin that will fit. For mine that was a tad bigger than the diameter of the bolt. That means drilling the welded nut on your folding ROPS so this isn't a reversable modification --be aware. Also get some compression springs and SS washers that will fit the pin.

Drill out the welded nut on the ROPS, slide the pin in, put on a washer-spring-washer and safety pin it in place. It is much easier and the spring keeps it from rattling.

I'll post a better picture tomorrow if anyone is interested.

jb

Last edited:
   / Could ROPS bolts be easier to use? #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(
Why not simply have a slide-through pin secured with a clip like you use to secure a 3pt-hitch attachment?
Would this somehow be less secure? Any thoughts? )</font>
no it won't be "less secure" a good pin is as good as that bolt ... and if it fits your needs "just do it" (in the manner the previous post suggested).

That bolt is NOT the "life or death" factor of the rops ...

/ Could ROPS bolts be easier to use? #7  
Hi all,
I have had the clip get hung on something and pull out(glad they are tied on) and the bolt start backing out. It started making a vibration I had not heard before, I stopped and tightened the bolt and recliped.

I was still getting some vibes with this setup so I cut some thin rubber washers to fit between the washer at the head of the bolt and the ROPS, much quieter now.

James

/ Could ROPS bolts be easier to use?
John: Yes, I'd appreciate a closer look at your pin modification for your ROPS. I don't have the option of a non-foldable ROPS -- garage door is too low -- and it would be too cruel to leave the B3030 outdoors!

/ Could ROPS bolts be easier to use? #9  
The one side on my ROPS almost feels like it's cross threaded. Something doesn't align right and I'm glad that I don't have to fold it down very often. And yes, I have the vibration on one side, too, and it sure takes away from the sweet sound of the engine /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Does anyone know what other tractor manufacturers use for this? It does seem like a poor design.

/ Could ROPS bolts be easier to use? #10  
Tip: One of the quickest and easiest ways of shutting up the rattle from ROPS bolts or pins is to put o-rings under the heads.