COULDNT SHUT IT DOWN!!!!!!!!!

/ COULDNT SHUT IT DOWN!!!!!!!!! #11  
I think your right about the possibility of a wire rubbing somewhere or getting pinched in the lighting circuit.
A major part of troubleshooting is reproducing the intermittent problem. The easy fix's are the ones that stay broke /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Volfandt

/ COULDNT SHUT IT DOWN!!!!!!!!!
Ok folks,ill switch that inline to 15 amp.will that run them 3 lights,they are themnorthern tractor lights?
Next Question,when one of you said slow burning fuse,could this have happened over time?
no.i haddent washed the tractor when this had happened ,but i left it out ,in below freezing temperatures,was too tired to remove from trailer,after chipping all day.
I used the tractor again for a couple hours this morning,no problems
I dont understand what could be wrong,with these lights,i dotted all my eyes...etc,wiring grommets and the works,i regret now not going to a direct off the battery curcuit.I dont think KUBOTA should have had any thing else wired to that aux circuit.
Once again im interested in what you think about that slow burning fuse thing.I never turned all three lights on at a time,only for a brief minute,could this be possible.
Forgot to mention,when this happened i couldnt even stall the tractor ,by starting the pto,in gear,and with the seat forward...them electrics are on that circuit too,AS MENTIONED ABOVE
ALAN

/ COULDNT SHUT IT DOWN!!!!!!!!! #13  
You say you have 3 lights on the circuit. If they are those 55 watt Northern lights then 55watts * 3 = 165 watts divided by 12volts = 13.75 amps so a 15 amp fuse should be fine. That is if'n my cipher'n is correct /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

We use alot of slow-blow fuses in the electronic eqt we service. Basically a slow-blow fuse doesn't blow immediately, say like on a monentary one time surge that is just above it's rateing, it takes an extended surge such as whats produced by many surges in a short period of time or a shorted circuit.
Most automotive type fuses are immediate blow. That is a monentary surge over the fuses rating will blow it.

I will add that I've changed out blown out fuses and never had to do any additional repair. What caused the fuse to blow? A surge more than likely since no other repair was necessary. We've had discussions about fuses weakening after so many "hits" but I have no evidence to prove it.

Good luck
Volfandt

/ COULDNT SHUT IT DOWN!!!!!!!!! #14  
I dont think KUBOTA should have had any thing else wired to that aux circuit

Alan: You could be on to something. Maybe we're in an incorrect mindset that Kubota can do no wrong. If your lights are 55 watts, then that's 4.6 amps each, times 3 is almost 14 amps if you ever did turn them all on at once. Maybe that's too much for that circuit when you add in the fuel solenoid.

I was thinking short circuit because you never had the lights on, or at least not all at the same time. If the circuit did have too many amps on it, with everything turned on at once, then the fuse-box fuse might blow because it would be carrying the load of the lights plus the fuel solenoid, but the inline fuse wouldn't because it would be handling just the load of the lights.

I don't think you need to concern yourself with the slow-blow thing, it was just conjecture on my part that maybe the fuse-box fuse is of that type because of the type of current draw that I think the solenoid might put on the circuit - a quick surge that levels off. But then again, I might be talking straight out of my butt - wouldn't be the first time, but I try to keep it to a minimum.

When you asked about whether the slow-blow fuse thing could mean that the problem happened over time, I'd say no - my understanding is that slow-blow means just a matter of seconds longer than a normal fuse. Long enough for a momentary power surge to subside.

Anyway, maybe just wait to see if you ever have the problem again. If you do, look again at the simple stuff like bare spots on wires, a faulty switch that's allowing current to go to ground, or maybe the lights themselves.

Good luck and please let us know if it happens again - I'll load up a .410 with some gremlin-shot and we'll do some huntin'.

Take care, John

/ COULDNT SHUT IT DOWN!!!!!!!!! #15  
The starting or in-rush current on a light bulb is greater than the normal operating current. So I'd expect that three lights in parallel drawing close to the rating of a fuse will eventually blow that fuse unless it's a slow blow fuse.

Also, figure out how to smother the engine to stop it. Some Diesel engines actually "turn off" by blocking the air passage. Don't use your hand, use a block of wood to block the air intake. Check out the air filter intake and see if a block of wood will fit flat across the opening. If so, use that to stop the engine should this happen again.

It won't suck more than 14.7 pounds per square inch of intake area. That's not enought to kill you. But it'll scare the heck out of you when it sucks your hand across the opening. It happened to me accidentally on a Diesel truck I had. You'll do more damage jerking your hand out than the suction is likely to do--believe me you'll really react strongly to get your hand out of there. Lots of other moving parts to be wary of when you're not thinking and just reacting.

/ COULDNT SHUT IT DOWN!!!!!!!!!
Thanks all you guys,for helping me try to figure this out.I do believe that,it could have been some freak thing because its not bothering now.I am going to put my inline down to a 15 amp,it might narrow things down if it ever crops up again.I just hate it when something like this happens,and you cant pinpoint it.I hate having"ghosts" in something i own.Although i have done a little hoe work ,and loader work after dark,the true test will be when i start pushing snowbanks with them on ,for hours at a time.
Another thing i thought of is the day before,i ran the chipper all day.I cram a shingle in the seat switch so i dont have to reverse the seat.Its far fetched but mabey i didnt have it in good and it was screwing up and weakened the fuse.....i dont even know what im trying to say....well that switch is on that circuit.ooh well time will tell.thanks again
ALAN