Couple of price checks..

/ Couple of price checks.. #11  
I have 18 acres... 1/3 pasture and the rest is hardwood. First order for f business is to clean up and seed 2 acres that was recently cleared (Dozer). After that it will be used for gardening, brush cutting, and general maintenance work around the house.

With all of the in mind, do you think of can step down a notch in horsepower and still be OK?

I have 17 acres that was recently logged of pines. Had mulchers clear out most tops and most stumps. Probably 50/50+/- hard woods and open now, but random with no true "pasture". I can also get the tractor in and around at least 80% of the wooded areas because the mulchers ran through. I personally would not drop down a size from the units you are looking at if I were you. The 2538 is big enough in my opinion and replaced my little Max 25 that was way outgunned contrary to my initial beliefs last year. The 4035 would have been ideal for me if not for hauling and storage considerations, and I would have required HST for personal preference and ease of operation.

6 open acres, minus 2 for a garden,,, ends up 4 acres.

4 acres is almost too small to turn around a 40 HP tractor.

I tend to agree with this if not including the other acreage. My Max 25 was great on 2 acres and more than enough machine. BUT - I think if you will plan on doing anything else on/in the wooded area, or really want to move some dirt around on your cultivated plot, I am certain that the 2538 and even the 4035 will have room to stretch. Maybe trails through the woods, or cleaning up a bit, etc...

If it has the side by side HST pedals, which I think the 2538 does, then give it a ride and see. I test drove one of those rocker pedal things and couldn't wait to get off of it finding the rocker very awkward and uncomfortable to drive. I ended up with a shuttle. I was also told by those who've been around tractors for a lot of years that HST can be problematic on slopes and such. Since I have a lot of sloping property that played into my decision too.
HST runs just about a grand more than an equivalent shuttle tractor. i.e. a 1538 HST vs a 1538 shuttle.
200 hrs isn't diddly squat so you might want to give the larger tractor a good look see as the extra remotes could come in handy. Mahindra prices those kinds of options dear. It would also save you doing the 100 hr filter and fluid changes. Just be sure that everything is up to date before you take it off the lot.
Shuttle vs HST depends on what you'll be doing and is largely a matter of personal preference so the best thing to do is drive both and see what you're more comfortalbe with.
The most important thing to do is to make sure you feel good about the dealer and that he'll support you and your machine well. Otherwise you won't end up a happy camper.

2538 has side by side pedals and I have had no issues with the slightly rolling terrain at or place. (Not big hills at all.) Agree that remotes could be handy.

/ Couple of price checks..
6 open acres, minus 2 for a garden,,, ends up 4 acrtes.

4 acres is almost too small to turn around a 40 HP tractor.

I'm pretty sure the 40 HP had split brakes. It probably could turn around in 4 acres. :)

/ Couple of price checks.. #13  
If it has the side by side HST pedals, which I think the 2538 does, then give it a ride and see. I test drove one of those rocker pedal things and couldn't wait to get off of it finding the rocker very awkward and uncomfortable to drive. I ended up with a shuttle. I was also told by those who've been around tractors for a lot of years that HST can be problematic on slopes and such. Since I have a lot of sloping property that played into my decision too.
HST runs just about a grand more than an equivalent shuttle tractor. i.e. a 1538 HST vs a 1538 shuttle.
200 hrs isn't diddly squat so you might want to give the larger tractor a good look see as the extra remotes could come in handy. Mahindra prices those kinds of options dear. It would also save you doing the 100 hr filter and fluid changes. Just be sure that everything is up to date before you take it off the lot.
Shuttle vs HST depends on what you'll be doing and is largely a matter of personal preference so the best thing to do is drive both and see what you're more comfortalbe with.
The most important thing to do is to make sure you feel good about the dealer and that he'll support you and your machine well. Otherwise you won't end up a happy camper.

Big difference between a Straight Gear trans a shuttle win Synchromesh, and a Power shuttle with a no clutch reverser.
I have to admit I am no fan of straight old school crash box gears, but I Like the shuttle for most of my use over HST.
Deep in the woods, confined space, and short distance loader work, HST is nicer.

/ Couple of price checks..
I should correct something... the 4035 is not power shuttle. It's just shuttle, meaning you press the clutch when using the shuttle.

/ Couple of price checks.. #15  
IMG_3789.JPGIMG_3788.JPG

I just purchased my 2538 with loader and backhoe yesterday. I wanted to attached some pics of what I paid to help out the next guy. I took the full rate financing option and hope to reduce the $5200 in total interest over the life of the loan quite a bit by paying it off quicker. MSRP on this set up was $33,830.

/ Couple of price checks.. #16  
Be careful if you are considering downsizing. CUT (Compact Utility Tractor) in my opinion are already "out of proportion" for FELs. The smaller they get, the more likely they are to tip towards one side or a corner.

I have a 3510, upped the size of the FEL (2 options were available, I got the larger), and have to constantly watch how much and how I load and ALWAYS have counterweight/attachment when using the FEL.

I went with the largest I thought practical for our yard space for turning and such, and balanced that with being able to use for gravel, dirt, etc.

If you're getting a FEL, take it out and get a scoop of gravel in the bucket and move it somewhere and dump it. Bucket size and how well it handles the load will give you a great idea what you're getting.

Good luck!