covering garage floor

/ covering garage floor
Just read the article and it was very informative. Now the question is what product to go with?

/ covering garage floor #12  
That looks very nice. How slick is it when wet and you walk on it?

/ covering garage floor #13  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( That looks very nice. How slick is it when wet and you walk on it? )</font>

Really not too bad. I used a premium grade 3/8" nap roller and always re-rolled behind me after about a minute to add some texture. I think the multiple coats helped.

I can say for absolutely sure it isn't as slick as the original sealed concrete was when wet. Several times I came running in during a storm with wet feet and did my impression of a goose landing landing on water when I tried to stop.

/ covering garage floor #14  
Just picked up this thread. Here is another thought to consider. I built a home in Minneapolis which spreads great amounts of salt on its roads each winter. This is deadly to garage floor. I learned from running airports of a trick we used. Take used indoor/outdoor carpeting and lay directly on floor of garage. This will pick up moisture and salt from vehicles and as it dries will evaporate into the air and keep the floor from pitting. At home I did the same thing put placed a tarp on the floor first then used carpeting.
At airports the benefit was more (did not use salt) to keep moisture from the work areas which kept them from being slippery when driving tugs and equipment inside.
Keeps oil from the concret, keeps floor from being slippery, evaporates very fast.
PJ

/ covering garage floor #16  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Couldn't you add sand to prevent the slipping? )</font>

Sure could, however I like the slick finish for easy cleanup. Oil, mud, etc. wipes up clean with a rag or rinses easily with a hose. Decided to try without aggregate texture first, could easily add it with another coat later. So far, happy with the roller textured finish and plan to stay with it.

/ covering garage floor #17  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( How about some pictures.
Thanks again for the info.
)</font>

Everything was outside today, so took this better .

There was a crack running all the way across, chipped off big enough to lay your finger in in places.

Hope it stays like this /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Attachments

• 334710-copy3 of Garage Floor 008.jpg
    334710-copy3 of Garage Floor 008.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 223
   / covering garage floor #18  
WOW ! I'm green with envey /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I sure wish my garage floor looked like that. Its been on my honey do list for seven years /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Dave

/ covering garage floor #19  
Darn I would not want to walk on it as I may leave a
foot print

Doug /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ covering garage floor #20  
Guys, So what is the verdict?
I'm going to have a garage for the first time ever, and dont want to be looking at oil spills. What product should I use? Tell the GC NOT to seal the garage floor? Do it right away?
This will be in SC so not much salt to worry about. thanks, brett w