Covert tractor hours to miles???

/ Covert tractor hours to miles??? #11  
Perhaps, but trucks are on the highway and operating in a fairly clean environment. Very little stop & go type of driving in a big rig.

Might compare more favorably with local fleet operations such as dump trucks, delivery trucks and city busses.

/ Covert tractor hours to miles??? #12  
Talk about stop and go driving in large trucks. You would have to be talking residential garbage truck operation.

/ Covert tractor hours to miles??? #13  
I figured the big rigs would be good since they are diesel and they spend much of their time at a single RPM much like a tractor.

Maybe 20, 30, 40, or 50 mph * 9000 hr would also work depending how the tractor is used.

/ Covert tractor hours to miles??? #14  
I agree with Bill in Pgh - “In my mind, I just multiply hours of tractor use by an average MPH”

The tricky part is estimating the average MPH. Sometimes tractors don’t move at all, such as when running an elevator with the PTO. Other times they’re going full speed on the road going from one field to another. If you could get a good estimate of the average MPH, you could get a good estimate of the total miles. Ask the guy what he spent most of his time doing with it and try to estimate the MPH. You’ll only end up with a very rough estimate!

/ Covert tractor hours to miles??? #15  
The average mph seems the best to me. If your neighbor REALLY wants to know, have him install an odometer, and after sufficient time/miles have been logged to establish a mph, there you have it! He may be interested in usage as mentioned above, but my guess he's wondering how far he's driven the old beast. When I used to skydive, we logged the height we jumped from, it was kinda interesting to figure how many miles you have "flown".

Dob

PS I have tried to log "covert" hours too, but, my little property won't let me hide very well!! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Covert tractor hours to miles??? #16  
Back in the day when we changed oil every 2000 miles, The rule of thumb was 40 running hours on a machine = 2000 miles.
If you want to believe the new generation of oils are superior, and you only need to change them every 3000 miles, 60 running hours would = 3000 miles.
40 years of following this rule has yet to cause me to rebuild an engine due to oil failure.

/ Covert tractor hours to miles??? #17  
It was always my understanding that 1 hr on a hour meter was 60 mph. My Dad always said that. He worked for IH for 26 years. Never comes up in the computer/network world.

As always - mudding up the waters
Nick

/ Covert tractor hours to miles??? #18  
Well, you see, "covert" miles don't count /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif. Actually converting them would require far more knowledge than I have /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif.

But seriously, I would agree that you have to figure a tractor undergoes pretty hard usage and should be compared to a garbage truck (hey, I haul some nasty stuff in my bucket!) or something like it. 9000 hours? I'd say that in dog years that thing has done its duty and more!

If putting a tractor out to pasture would make it happy I'd do it - but working tractors are happy tractors so as long as it is "the little tractor that can" it is still probably worth some real money. Forget the hours and focus on what the thing can do and how well it does it - I'm sure someone will want it as long as it keeps going.

/ Covert tractor hours to miles???
Thanks everyone. He was just wondering to how far he has driven on his 1600 acres. :) I'll print out this thread and let him decide :)

/ Covert tractor hours to miles??? #20  
Can't stay out of this one!
My car (6 cyl. chevy)
On the hwy, 2000 rpm is roughly 63 mph.
In town, the spirit only knows.
So, if equating to hwy driving miles - 9000 x 63 = 567,000 miles.

in town that is probably (wild guess) about 1/4 of that.