COWBOY'S - Lets hear from you + Pictures

/ COWBOY'S - Lets hear from you + Pictures
During the war we lived in Fry AZ ( Now "Sierra Vista"), Then moved to Brown Canyon in the Huachuca Mountains. Where we had 3 mining claims.

It was there that I learned that you don't ride a goat. 1 day after a rain was playing when the nanny came by. I decided it would be fun to ride her.
Quite frankly that was a mistake. If you know anything about a nanny goat, you know how sharp her back bone is. That was my 1 & only Goat Ride.
To say the least it was most uncomfortable, very short ride. :laughing:

Now I don't claim to be any kind of a expert, but I have learned a little about animals & critter in my days on earth.
When a Horse steps on your foot, don't try to pull it out. Makes it a little nervous & it will put more weight on it. Lean on the horse as hard as you can & it lift its foot. Now Don't ask how I learned that little gem.

In other threads I have mentioned that you can talk to wild animals. If you have never tried it, don't learn on a Skunk. In high school me and a friend were going to make some money trapping Coyotes. Well all we ever caught was a little Hydrophobia Skunk. They never get very big & this little critter had its front leg in the trap. Told my friend I was going to let it out of the trap. Slowly I worked my way up to him speaking softly. Got to the trap & spread its jaws. it lifted its broken leg out of the trap, gave a look & started up the dry wash on his 3 good legs.

Now is when things started to go wrong. Friend convinced me he was too small to spray. (Yea I knew better.) I'm to slip up behind it & slap its tail down, while friend keeps it distracted from in front. Well I made a little too much noise. That little critter sprayed me right in the eyes. Now if the smell does not make you sick, the fire in your eyes will for sure get your attention. Now being 2 or 3 miles out in the desert & unable to see is not what you would call fun. Friend led me through the rocks & brush back to town. First house was another friends house & I wanted to use a water hose. His dad would not even let me in the yard. Whats another 3 /4 blocks when you have streets to walk on.:mad:

Big tub of water & everything that could be found that even resembled Tomato Juice was dumped in. Cloths & all into the tub, now that worked "fairly Well". But for several days no one wanted to be very close to me. :confused3:

Now & then I will pass on some more little pearls of wisdom as I remember them. :)

/ COWBOY'S - Lets hear from you + Pictures #212  
We used to have to walk a 1/4 mile up to the crossroads to get the mail out of the box. One day me and Sister were walking to the mailbox with Duke, our dog. Well Duke killed a skunk, and we had to bring him home to show Mamma. She met us in the yard, and diverted us to a #3 washtub in the backyard. We had to strip off and wash outside before we were allowed into the house for a real bath.

I don't know what did it, but we don't have skunks in NW Florida anymore. Used to you would always kill one along with the car, then when it rained you could smell it all over again. I would say it has been twenty years since I have seen a skunk around here.

Larro

Now I think I should give you a few tips on Milking. May be useful should you ever want to do some milking.

During the war we had a little dairy business. Mom did the milking, bottling & selling. With my "Help".:)

3 Or 4 goats & 5 or 6 cows.

Now when it comes to milking a goat, I have no real advice. With there ice cream cone shaped treats, I never mastered that skill.
One thing I do know is that you put the goat on a stand, get them up where it is easier to reach.

Now a cow is a little different. Not that I am a real expert, just some limited experience.
One thing you can be fairly sure of is that soon after you get started, that old cow is going to slap you up side the head with her tail. Now that can be cured by tying her tail to her leg.

Next little thing is that soon after you get about 1/2 a bucket, squirted a little milk to the barn cat, :licking: she is going to pick up her leg & plant it square into the bucket. With quick reflexes you can avoid this problem. :laughing: Well at least once in a while. :laughing:

/ COWBOY'S - Lets hear from you + Pictures #214  
If I had a nickle for every milk-goat I milked as a kid, I would have a enough money to buy a bass boat!. Goats had different and larger "teats" but other than that, I think about the same applies except no tail to the face. They will (some of them) stick their foot in the bulk bucket. But most of them we had were fairly meek and compliant. We always put them in a stanchion with a feed box on the front to keep them happy. Their heads were secured in the stanchion, they were eating, and you milked them.. They looked forward to the whole thing each morning and evening. Some horse and mule feed with the molasses chunks in it was like candy to a goat.

Last edited:
   / COWBOY'S - Lets hear from you + Pictures #215  
We used to keep goats, but they were meat goats. We always had one milk cow, and milked her enough for our own use. The milk cow was one of the reasons I joined the Navy;)

Larro

Some days you can look foolish without even trying.

KP Cienega is the head of KP Creek, as you go down the canyon the stream keeps getting bigger. it gets big enough to get some fair sized Trout of. Good Etin.

Most of the family was at KP & 4 or 5 of us went fishing, not sure how many fish we caught. But those fish were pretty easy to catch. previously I had caught some using red berries that grew on the bank.

As we headed back up the creek, me on ole Susie Q. There was a jump up in the trail, maybe 2 feet or so. When Susie Q jumped up the cinch on the saddle broke.

That left me sitting in a saddle with no mule under it & my hand out like I was still holding the reins. See Nothing To It. :)

/ COWBOY'S - Lets hear from you + Pictures #217  
Some days you can look foolish without even trying.

KP Cienega is the head of KP Creek, as you go down the canyon the stream keeps getting bigger. it gets big enough to get some fair sized Trout of. Good Etin.

Most of the family was at KP & 4 or 5 of us went fishing, not sure how many fish we caught. But those fish were pretty easy to catch. previously I had caught some using red berries that grew on the bank.

As we headed back up the creek, me on ole Susie Q. There was a jump up in the trail, maybe 2 feet or so. When Susie Q jumped up the cinch on the saddle broke.

That left me sitting in a saddle with no mule under it & my hand out like I was still holding the reins. See Nothing To It. :)

I really enjoy the posts in this thread! :thumbsup:

/ COWBOY'S - Lets hear from you + Pictures #220  
Jim thanks for posting them pic's. Gent's lets remember the GAL'S too ! I know some cowgirls that can ride,rope,handle the truck n trailer,crack a whip, just as good or better than lotsa men. One I even know if she will like you will filter your cowboy coffee through one of her sunday stockings , get mine no milk/no sugar.

Attachments

• horseon2.gif
    horseon2.gif
    1.9 KB · Views: 128