Cowlitz Tractor, Ha Ha Ha

/ Cowlitz Tractor, Ha Ha Ha #51  
This is what I am talking about. I can not compete with that type of service and price over the email or in person. I will sell my tractor business before I have to give bad service to meet the low price of a tractor.

On the email all customers look alike and all dealers look alike. Email customers need to set themselves apart from other price shoppers to get the best response. Dealers need to work harder to set themselves apart also.

Have good tractor day.

Barrett

/ Cowlitz Tractor, Ha Ha Ha #52  
Barrettseq - very well put. Sad truth is people (most) want the cheapest price and don't consider anything else. If I'm buying new, I will stay close to home if I am comfortable with the dealer. Save a thousand and travel a few states or hundreds of miles away?? Not good. Best thing to do is stop by and have a face to face meeting, check their shop, etc. Make your best deal and buy it. My dealer told me that if I bought somewhere else - no problem. He would do warranty work and take care of whatever I needed. That alone was impressive. But, I would think that I would not be a priority and I would not blame him. If you're buying used, that is different. Just my two cents. Enjoyed this thread.

/ Cowlitz Tractor, Ha Ha Ha
I may consider building my own tractor out of parts to avoid the whole sales thing or maybe just add a 3 point hitch to the back of a Jeep... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hey cool, how much more for the ag tires??
I'll understand if you dont reply cause I asked about prices and you dont know if I'm serious or not and you have likely been bothered by pesky customers before. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

p.s remember the old "cracker box" Jeep wagons of this vintage---looked the same style but closed off box style on the back? My dad had one all pimped out for its day...long succumbed to rust. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Cowlitz Tractor, Ha Ha Ha #56  
<font color="red"> I may consider building my own tractor out of parts to avoid the whole sales thing or maybe just add a 3 point hitch to the back of a Jeep... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif </font>

Hmm... You could do what this guy did. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

http://www.tractorbynet.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/1226/sort/1/cat/all

http://www.tractorbynet.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/1225/sort/1/cat/all

http://www.tractorbynet.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/1224/sort/1/cat/all

/ Cowlitz Tractor, Ha Ha Ha #57  
When dealerships want anywhere from $4000 to $10,000 more for the same tractor, price becomes an issue. I will travel for that much price difference. My money just doesn't come that easy just to buy from a local dealer. $1000.00 to $1500.00 I agree stay local. Treat me fair and I will spend my money with you. Try to take advantage, and I walk. We all do it everyday. To much competition. We all look for the sales and clearances everyday. We all look for the deals. Human nature.

I emailed the JeepaHoe dealer, they wouldn't reply either!!
Maybe I need to change my cologne.... /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Cowlitz Tractor, Ha Ha Ha #59  
Just to add to your fire.. here is a good example of what NOT to do. There was just a local customer who wrote up a quote with exactly what they wanted down to the part number of each item. They took that quote and faxed it to every dealer around, then took the responses and started faxing them along with it. I guess they thought by doing this each dealer would start beating each other up till they would go no further. That being said, salespeople are not dumb. In the end, the guy ended up paying more than an average walk in customer would for two reasons. First, by demanding a price for each and every part involved a margin ends up being worked into each one incase it comes down to a pick and choose situation. Second, by being a jerk and playing games all the quotes where high to begin with because everyone could see this comming.

The lesson here, don't be a jerk! Show that your serious, layout what you want, and ask for one bottom dollar price, with no second chances.

/ Cowlitz Tractor, Ha Ha Ha #60  
You sir are exactly correct! It goes back to the two way street theory.

And Barretseq, in truth you can compete. The influences of your market place dictate what room you have and still make a profit. Because you can't be the lowest price doesn't mean you're out of the running. How you represent and conduct yourself to the buying public is what will make the difference to the customer you want. Yes, the customer you want. and there is nothing wrong with that.

I build for a living about 20 miles north of you. I have people all day long asking me to give them quotes to do any number of things from repair to renovation to new construction. I have learned that because most people don't know what they really want and they are clueless about what's really involved I have to first give them a brief education on the process followed by a generic factor for a ball park price. I let them know that it is ball park and that the only way to know for sure is to begin the project. I am upfront and honest about what to expect and what's involved. I let them know I am not the cheapest and not the most expensive. If they decide to have me do the job, great, if not that is fine too. I am the type that if I have a little room in my pocket then I'll give it but I can't give the farm away. Those who choose to use me don't regret it and generally don't have any price issues on additional work. Those who feel that I am out of their price range at least have some idea of what they are up against. As for the unrealistic customer (yep, I get those too), they are generally gone with the ball park #. No harm no foul.

I know there is a difference between our businesses but I believe the concept is the same.