Coyotes went after my neighbors Lab yesterday, How do I kill, I live in the suburbs

/ Coyotes went after my neighbors Lab yesterday, How do I kill, I live in the suburbs #1  

jobguy

Silver Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT120
Two coyotes tried to get my neighbors lab, I would like to kill the killers but live in the suburbs on 6 acres. Police say I can shoot if the animal is actually trying to take a pet but cannot hunt them. Any ideas how I can get these coyotes without endangering pets and without making any noise? Will a cci cb 22 lr round at 710 fps work? This round makes no more noise than a pellet gun.

/ Coyotes went after my neighbors Lab yesterday, How do I kill, I live in the suburbs #2  
Have you contact your local Fish & Game,they might know of someone that can do the job.

/ Coyotes went after my neighbors Lab yesterday, How do I kill, I live in the suburbs #3  
The old saying, I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6 comes to mind...
If they will attack a full grown Lab, what about small kids, and others? I realize the Coyotes have to eat, but why can't they stand in line at the foodstamps office like everyone else?
If they come on my property, and I see the tracks or evidence of foul play, telling the local sheriff is the last thing I am going to do. Discharging a firearm inside our broad city limits is a no-no, but protecting oneself overrides that.
David from jax

/ Coyotes went after my neighbors Lab yesterday, How do I kill, I live in the suburbs #4  
“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission”
I'd say take your shot if the opportunity arises.
If any bleeding hearts object, tell them you just saved their puppy's life.

Pete

/ Coyotes went after my neighbors Lab yesterday, How do I kill, I live in the suburbs #5  
One thing to make sure of prior to doing ANY SHOOTING is to make sure of surroundings.
What is behind where you are shooting, (homes barns open field or roads? etc) a 22lr will easily go 1/4 to1/2 mile & still have enough velocity to do major damage to people/property.

What is the chance you will hit your target? (good, medium or poor shot?) Remember these targets
WONT be setting still, more than likely on the move/chasing food.

The 22LR WILL take down a coyote well enough but more than likely will need a kill shot up close. Be prepared for at least 2 shots on one critter as mentioned they usually wont stand still for an easy kill shot in a neighborhood.

Also be prepared for one or more neighbors to NOT like you shooting at those innocent coyotes & to call cops/game wardens. Especially when they see you walk up and finish the thing off and drag it's carcass off.

Then you also have to deal with the 2nd "S" issue where to get rid of your target after it was taken>? Bury it in the back yard, wrap it up and take it to the local land fill or toss in someones trash can when they are away?

and after all that remember the 3 "S"s (Shoot Shovel & Shut up.)

Mark

/ Coyotes went after my neighbors Lab yesterday, How do I kill, I live in the suburbs #6  
Police say I can shoot if the animal is actually trying to take a pet but cannot hunt them.

That's a curious distinction. I would presume that a coyote isn't coming by to borrow a cup of sugar or bum a ride. Their very existence is based on predation. Kill 'em with extreme prejudice. Get one of these (suppressor goes in the shroud at the end of the barrel).

silent scout.jpg

Last edited:
   / Coyotes went after my neighbors Lab yesterday, How do I kill, I live in the suburbs #7  
A .22 long or long rifle will do the job.:D

/ Coyotes went after my neighbors Lab yesterday, How do I kill, I live in the suburbs #8  
Nobody runs for their guns when we see a Coyote around here.

I don't understand all the hate ?

/ Coyotes went after my neighbors Lab yesterday, How do I kill, I live in the suburbs #9  
The .22 CB Cap is what I think your asking about? IF so, NO it will not take down a coyote. It will enter then skin if close enough but thats about it.

/ Coyotes went after my neighbors Lab yesterday, How do I kill, I live in the suburbs #10  
In my opinion the likelihood of a clean kill with the CB round is not high. Head shot yes. Remember guys this is not even a standard velocity .22 long rifle round he is talking about here, it is a very low velocity low bullet weight CB round. It just happens to be in a long rifle length to facilitate feeding in many rifles. I am wondering if a havaheart trap might be your best bet here. As others have said you chances of getting caught are good. You are in an incorporated area, and the law is not really on your side. A 12 gauge turkey gun with full or extra full choke and a load of No. 4's or No 2's would be good to about 50 yards, and pretty safe. but a loud boom. A suppressed .300 whisper comes to mind. But I know you don't have one. I guess you could claim the coyote was trying to kill the dog if you have the stones to stick to your story, and it would even be true if they come back, they are likely to be looking for pets. We lost our outside kitty to coyotes a few years ago. He was big and tough, but not tough enough for coyotes. One of the most effective adjuncts to calling coyotes in is to use a stuffed toy dog as a decoy. But as you can see here, there will be someone that will turn you in for firing any gun in town, even if they know why you did it..

James K0UA