Coyotes

/ Coyotes #11  
tallyho8 said:
Please don't ever shoot anything when all you can see are it's eyes. Animals eyes look different colors to different people and with different lights and there is no sure way of knowing what it is by the color of the eyes. Have a bright enough light that you can see exactly what it is before you shoot.

Not too long ago a hunter shot a friends prized horse that he mistook for a deer at night. There have been many stories of shiners shooting cows, goats, sheep, dogs, cats, and even people when just shooting at the reflection in their eyes.

One of the first rules in gun handling is to not fire until you are positive of the identity of your target.

Nicely said.

Eddie

/ Coyotes #12  
tallyho8 said:
Not too long ago a hunter shot a friends prized horse that he mistook for a deer at night...

That wasn't a hunter, it was a poacher...

Big difference.

I don't know about Texas, but here in Illinois, deer eyes in the headlights or a spotlight are always green.

/ Coyotes #13  
tallyho8 said:
Please
Not too long ago a hunter shot a friends prized horse that he mistook for a deer at night. There have been many stories of shiners shooting cows, goats, sheep, dogs, cats, and even people when just shooting at the reflection in their eyes.

boy, if I shined a people and it's eyes reflected, I might be tempted to shoot, too!!

(just kidding, really) ;)

/ Coyotes #14  
Frank,

The coyotes really got bad last night!!! At 3am, it sounded like a pack of them were just outside our bedroom window. It's hard to count how many there were, but they were very loud and it seemed like they were very close.

What's interesting is the church youth, pastor and some parents are camped out on our lake with a big ole fire going and so much noise from the kids that we can here there shouts all the way at the house. Almost 40 people down there and this is the worse we've ever heard the coyotes by a large margin.

I was on Ebay earlier looking at CD's with rabbit calls on them. Way back in my California days, we had a cassette that we played in a boom box that worked great at calling them in. For $10 or less, there are several to choose from that I'm considering.

Eddie

/ Coyotes
I set up a portable power pack and a hand held, 12v floodlight (no red lens - look for one today). All I saw were 2 racoons, 2 deer and 1 skunk. The skunk started getting pretty close so I left. I thought discretion was the better part of valor.

Try again tonight.

/ Coyotes #16  
EddieWalker said:
Frank,

The coyotes really got bad last night!!! At 3am, it sounded like a pack of them were just outside our bedroom window. It's hard to count how many there were, but they were very loud and it seemed like they were very close.

What's interesting is the church youth, pastor and some parents are camped out on our lake with a big ole fire going and so much noise from the kids that we can here there shouts all the way at the house. Almost 40 people down there and this is the worse we've ever heard the coyotes by a large margin.

I was on Ebay earlier looking at CD's with rabbit calls on them. Way back in my California days, we had a cassette that we played in a boom box that worked great at calling them in. For $10 or less, there are several to choose from that I'm considering.

Eddie
Eddie, consider the possibility that your critters are hybrids...coydogs or other. We have them, and their behavior is as much wild dog-like as it is coyote-like. Pretty scarey, as I have dealt with wild dog packs, and they kill to kill, are not fearful of humans, etc. I first became aware of coyotes around here in the very early 90s. Within 10 years lots of folks were seeing them (or the evidence...i.e., missing cats, chickens, etc.). We never found tracks closer than around 75-100 yds from the barn, and farther from the house, and usually 1-3, maybe 4. In the last 5-7 years we've seen a change in behavior...more packing (larger groups), routinely coming up around the house & barn, etc. Now I don't go out after dusk even to the shop (50' away) without a firearm. If enough members of the pack have some dog in them, I tend to think they will attack people if the opportunity presents itself....just like a dog pack would.

/ Coyotes #17  
I know that coyote's are a problem in many areas, but out here in the Mojave they are a necessity. They keep the rat, black tailed hare and snake population under control. The amount of other "game" is insignificant and there are so few cattle. I don't think they mess with the bobcats or cougars.

Strange how one person's curse is another's blessing.

/ Coyotes #18  
Put a couple cans of sardines out where the yotes can get to them,within rifle range(50-100 yards).Or buy a varmint electronic caller,I have had great results with my foxpro caller.coobie

/ Coyotes
LMTC said:
consider the possibility that your critters are hybrids...coydogs or other..

That may explain something that has puzzled me lately. Over the past 2 months I have seen a single coyote 3 or 4 times but it is HUGE. It is about twice the size of a normal coyote. I even thought that it might be one of those wolf hybrids that people, for some reason, like to breed and raise. I don't think I would want to tangle with that booger if it got mad at me. It's wary of people but doesn't seem to be afraid of them. I caught it sunning itself out in the pasture one day and from a distance I thought that someone had shot a deer that had got away from them. I went out there with the tractor to dispose of it but when I got to within 50 yards, it got up, stretched itself and walked away into the woods. It was BIG. Maybe I do need to start carrying when I go walking around after dark.

/ Coyotes #20  
5 days ago I shot a female coyote in the front field, she fell like a dish rag and it was over.

Now im on prowl for more:D