Coyotes

/ Coyotes #71  
I agree on your view,but it seems lately when man tries and help one spieces it hurta another or two..its a gentle balance.

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Coyotes #72  
I agree on your view,but it seems lately when man tries and help one spieces it hurt a another or two..its a gentle balance.

/ Coyotes #73  
I've just discovered the Rural Living page and I just wanted to weigh in on this subject. Coyotes have just come back to this area in numbers in the last few years. I saw my first one about 10 years ago. In fact up until the last 2 - 3 years most people were'nt even aware that coyotes existed in northern Indiana. Our property is adjacent to 3 farms that are mostly woods and meadow (and haven't been farmed in years). These farms/woods surround a state owned wildlife preserve. So we have lots of deer and coyote. They wake my wife and son up at night in the summer (I wear hearing aids so I don't hear them too often at night). We usually only see one at a time but have seen as many as three in our yard down by the pond. They seem to be getting braver and have been getting closer to the house. I had one run within 30 feet of me while I was working in the yard. There are no natural predators, except for myself and my neighbor. And they have a large food supply. My wife and I watched one chase some deer from our kitchen window. I'm assuming at some point the population growth will slow as it comes into sync with the food population.

/ Coyotes #74  
Gene,
Interesting in what you wrote.
By the sounds you are seeing what we have been thru 10 years ago.
The coyotes are many from mid to upper NH,and w/last year harsh winter the coyotes have done well..better than well do to the deer and moose straving from the deep snow.
Some areas coyotes are going into city's and towns for a easier meal..small dogs & cats & rubbish not good at all.
Coyotes only fear man{sometimes} and there so many pros and cons of harvesting them in our area.
I realize they have just as much right here on earth as we do..but who are we to judge what lives and dies when all the wildlife wants to do is survive..yes this subject could be endless...By the way I do hunt many speices of the north.

Again I enjoy your post.

/ Coyotes #75  
Hello Thomas,
This subject caught my eye because it has been a cause for concern for my wife and I. I've actually enjoyed seeing the coyotes; however we have just been blessed with our first grandchild and my wife has been concerned at the numbers of coyote in our area and the fact that they seem to be getting closer to the house. I have been assuring my wife that they are more scared of us than we are of them. My wife says true but when our grand-daughter reaches toddler age she might be a tempting morsel for a coyote. I than found out that an acquaintance of mine was actually confronted by a pack of coyotes while out deer hunting on one of my relative's property and the coyotes didn't run! They made him concerned enough that he climbed a tree and waited until they left. This man is a very experienced outdoorsman and was very surprised by the way the coyotes acted.
I haven't talked to him directly about the incident but got my information from relatives.
By the way, I used to hunt deer and shoot groundhogs out of my uncle's bean and hay fields but haven't found time to do so in years. My muzzle loader is somewhere in our spare room and I sold the varmint rifle to buy some woodworking equipment. Maybe this could revive my interest!

Thanks for the reply,
Gene

/ Coyotes #76  
Just for information:
Several years ago??? in a town, Jasper, Alberta several small children were attacked by coyotes. This town is in the Rocky moutains and a National Park.
Egon

/ Coyotes #77  
I try to be animal friendly and I do have coyotes about also and it is a live and let live truce. You know we had them around in AZ also when we lived there with no real problems. I have two male collies--each about 90 plus pounds and very sweet and gentle but they must have an inbred instict to attack coyotes. I think the coyotes know their enemy as well because they keep a respectful distance. I actually saw one coyotes eyes bug out like on the Coyote and Road Runner cartoon when he saw them coming. I have no doubt my two collies could take on a few coyotes sufficient to send them packing but a whole pack of them could be a problem. Curious thing about my collies but they will only chase them so far before turning off and returning to their flock (me and my wife)--instinct and common sense I suppose. My wife often walks with my neighbor who has a very large Wolfhound--I really doubt even a pack of coyotes would be willing to take on two Collies and a Wolfhound.
Those damdable deer are killing my trees and I purposely allow my dogs to chase them of my property to put the fear in them--God help the poor soul that would shoot one of them.
Oh, back to Az, cats and small dogs did dissappear and I read a story about a coyote attacking a small child playing in a yard. I think if I remember the story correctly a large male--not rabid--was killed the next day by a animal control officer.
Did anyone read the corroborated "Fox Attack" story where two Foxes attacked a lady in her garden and when a neighbor came to help they attacked him and then went into her house and attacked people there before fleeing--ever get the feeling that occasionally animals just get pissed off and say to hell with it--I am going to go bite that sucker right on the butt.
Badgers--that is a whole nuther thing!!!!!!
J