crack in muffler.

/ crack in muffler. #1  

gravelman

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota 2650
hi guys...gravelman here. my mechanic tells me i have a small crack in the muffler where it connect to the manifold. Kubota 2650. I have looked and looked...see nothing and no noise change...how crucial is this.. he said it could be welded. i know small things turn in to big things but i don't see the need to panic and get into it!! what say you????

/ crack in muffler. #2  
If it's cracked it will grow, when you can see it then weld it. Don't let it go too long after you find it.I would take it off to weld it just so you don't weld it to the manifold and mess it up too.Either wire fed welder or o.a. brazing should work.

/ crack in muffler.
Ok got it..thanks very much i will get it done before it gets too cold too..thanks

/ crack in muffler. #4  
If you can see the crack you may wish to stop drill it to prevent its growth. From there you can follow Jim's suggestion for welding. Just remember a muffler is generally pretty thin material and it can be easy to burn through even with a wire feed welder. Although not as strong brazing could be the better option.

/ crack in muffler. #5  
You probably want to grab a piece of metal that’s a similar thickness to practice on before you go for it unless you work with metal that thin often. It shouldn’t be that hard to do but I wouldn’t doubt if the first couple of attempts end poorly.

/ crack in muffler. #6  
Rock Crawler had the same problem on his 2650. Close to 400 hours, if I remember correctly.

/ crack in muffler.
Ok everyone..all good advice etc.. i am not going to attempt it myself...yikes..id burn the tractor down. thanks all

/ crack in muffler. #8  
check with your dealer there may be a recall because another member on here got his replaced under warranty.

/ crack in muffler.
ok l will do...