Cracked 2020 Kioti RX 7320 frame

/ Cracked 2020 Kioti RX 7320 frame #1  
Tractor
busted NH TC48DA
All,

Recently I had to remove a busted bridge from a ditch that failed as I drove across it. Fortunately the ditch wasn't deep, neither I nor the tractor was hurt, or so I thought. I was helping to move bales of hay so I didn't remove the bridge immediately, not until I had finished moving all of the bales. Once I was finished moving the bales, I replaced the bale spear with my grapple and started removing the bridge. Once I finally finished I happened to notice a crack in the frame on the left side. I took a picture of the crack and have attached it.

20231115_140749.jpg

My question to you folks on the forum is what do you suppose cracked the frame? Was it the bridge collapsing that did it? Was it cumulative stress over the years from aggressive use of the grapple? Here is a bit of a hint: I recently changed oil in the tractor, greased it well, and torqued all of the bolts, including those on the frame near the crack. I do not recall having seen the crack then.

Comments?

Senile Texas Aggie

Last edited:
   / Cracked 2020 Kioti RX 7320 frame #2  
Is that the subframe that supports the loader? Did you hear squeaking as the loader flexed? More pix?

/ Cracked 2020 Kioti RX 7320 frame
"Is that the subframe that supports the loader?" Yes. "Did you hear squeaking as the loader flexed?" No. "More pix?" Regrettably, no. The tractor is at the dealer awaiting the new subframe to arrive.

/ Cracked 2020 Kioti RX 7320 frame #4  
No bends in the frame? do you think the tractor landed on it when it fell?
I would have a good look at the front mounting bolts of the loader frame, see if there's any evidence of movement? Probably pull each one out and see how the threads are doing. I would think to crack the frame there would have to be some movement of that front mount?

/ Cracked 2020 Kioti RX 7320 frame #5  
A new subframe must be expensive :oops:
I would have tried a repair especially if the damage was caused by an incident that would not be repeated.

/ Cracked 2020 Kioti RX 7320 frame #6  
Did you have a bale on the loader when you were crossing the bridge? If so, did you have ballast on at the time? I'm just trying to imagine what type of immediate stress the machine was placed under, but it's hard not knowing the terrain, the bridge, etc.

Whatever it was, it looks painful; I hope the suspension seat saved your pelvis. 😫

/ Cracked 2020 Kioti RX 7320 frame #7  
Will it be a warranty claim? That crack looks like it is between the heat affected zone and the base metal.

/ Cracked 2020 Kioti RX 7320 frame #8  
I've fixed much worse. Too bad you don't live close, I can make stuff like that vanish forever. I'd like to see the backside of the subframe. That is a shi*ty wire weld too. Look at the inclusion at the top end. Take it off, gouge it out grind it and bevel it and weld it back up (multi pass) and call it good. That is just run of the mill hot rolled steel, probably low carbon. Probably could do it without removing it if I could get to the backside as well.

All,

Sorry to be slow to respond. We were out of town for Thanksgiving and only returned yesterday.

"No bends in the frame?... " None that I could tell that were not already there by the manufacturer. "... do you think the tractor landed on it when it fell?... " I don't think so. I think the front end of the tractor landed on the bale spear that was sticking out from the front end loader, and thus the arms of the front end loader.
"I would have a good look at the front mounting bolts of the loader frame, see if there's any evidence of movement? Probably pull each one out and see how the threads are doing. I would think to crack the frame there would have to be some movement of that front mount?" Alas, the tractor is still at the dealership. I plan to call them Monday to see if the part came in.

While visiting with family for Thanksgiving, I talked to a nephew-in-law, who owns his own logging truck, and showed him the picture of the tractor frame. He said that the crack wasn't anything that couldn't be fixed by grinding the crack and then welding it. He said that he had cracks like that occur on trailer frames and sometimes on truck frames, and that a really good welding job would fix it. Since I have never welding anything in my life, I am sure my weld would not hold. The dealership said that they would weld it but would not warranty it for liability issues.

So you folks who recommended welding are probably right in that it would work, but I will simply have it replaced.

Thanks, again, to all.

Senile Texas Aggie

All,

Sorry to be slow to respond. We were out of town for Thanksgiving and only returned yesterday.

"No bends in the frame?... " None that I could tell that were not already there by the manufacturer. "... do you think the tractor landed on it when it fell?... " I don't think so. I think the front end of the tractor landed on the bale spear that was sticking out from the front end loader, and thus the arms of the front end loader.
"I would have a good look at the front mounting bolts of the loader frame, see if there's any evidence of movement? Probably pull each one out and see how the threads are doing. I would think to crack the frame there would have to be some movement of that front mount?" Alas, the tractor is still at the dealership. I plan to call them Monday to see if the part came in.

While visiting with family for Thanksgiving, I talked to a nephew-in-law, who owns his own logging truck, and showed him the picture of the tractor frame. He said that the crack wasn't anything that couldn't be fixed by grinding the crack and then welding it. He said that he had cracks like that occur on trailer frames and sometimes on truck frames, and that a really good welding job would fix it. Since I have never welding anything in my life, I am sure my weld would not hold. The dealership said that they would weld it but would not warranty it for liability issues.

So you folks who recommended welding are probably right in that it would work, but I will simply have it replaced.

Thanks, again, to all.

Senile Texas Aggie