Cracked magnets on hydraulic filters......??

/ Cracked magnets on hydraulic filters......?? #1  

bswiv

Silver Member
Tractor
CAT D5G, Kubota M8540, KubotaB2700
Bought 2 Kubota Brand filters about a month ago from a reputable dealer and when they got here I simply checked the part number and opened the tops of the boxes to be sure they looked new. They were new.......and the boxes looked new.

So today I finally get around to working on the tractor and when I pull the filters out and turn them over to remove the plastic covers I see what is in the pictures.

I am disinclined to use them......even if I go and pick all ( as if I'll be able to find it all? ) the cracked pieces off and then replace them with the magnets from the old filters. And mind you I am assuming the old filters have good magnets as fortunately I had not taken things apart before finding this issue.

So......am I wrong here?

Filters1.jpgFilters.jpgFilter.jpg

/ Cracked magnets on hydraulic filters......?? #2  
I have never seen or heard anything like that. Interesting to hear what others have to say. I would return them and not use your old magnets.

/ Cracked magnets on hydraulic filters......?? #3  
So - just checked all my filters( engine oil, fuel & hydraulic) stored in the back bedroom. They all have the doughnut magnet - none are damaged. Like Sixdogs says - don't use them - return them - don't use the old magnets. When you get the new ones - check them before you leave the store.

It's a first for me also. The result of some pretty rough handling....??

/ Cracked magnets on hydraulic filters......?? #4  
Yes, this would be disappointing. If it was the weekend, and the dealer was closed, I'd probably just slap the old magnets on the new filters and go with it. I can't see where any harm could come of the tractor.

/ Cracked magnets on hydraulic filters......??
So - just checked all my filters( engine oil, fuel & hydraulic) stored in the back bedroom. They all have the doughnut magnet - none are damaged. Like Sixdogs says - don't use them - return them - don't use the old magnets. When you get the new ones - check them before you leave the store.

It's a first for me also. The result of some pretty rough handling....??

Boxes were in fine shape and the filter canisters are not bent so I am at a loss. Came via USPS.

The seller has offered to send new ones......which is great. I asked him to PLEASE check the magnets before shipping. Would hate to think it was USPS......but I will check them THOROUGHLY the moment they get here.

/ Cracked magnets on hydraulic filters......?? #6  
Boxes were in fine shape and the filter canisters are not bent so I am at a loss. Came via USPS.

The seller has offered to send new ones......which is great. I asked him to PLEASE check the magnets before shipping. Would hate to think it was USPS......but I will check them THOROUGHLY the moment they get here.

Just a wild thought but could they be fakes? Knock offs?
My magnets for my filters are hard steel. These look like powdered metal.

/ Cracked magnets on hydraulic filters......??
Just a wild thought but could they be fakes? Knock offs?
My magnets for my filters are hard steel. These look like powdered metal.

If they are "fakes" they've done a darn good job of it!

The magnet material is basically what you find in a lot of electric motors. It'll be a revelation when I remove the current filters.....which the dealer put on at 600 hours......and compare.

/ Cracked magnets on hydraulic filters......?? #8  
First Time I’ve seen magnets like that in a filter.
If it’s any consolation the magnets are on the inlet side of the filter.
Ive glued a large magnets to the outside of my 1720 Ford Compact tractor hydraulic filter years ago to catch the fines generated in the system.

90cummins

/ Cracked magnets on hydraulic filters......?? #9  
I have an L3010 and years ago, 10 ish or more, I got a filter with a cracked magnet similar to your first pic. Saw it when I got home from the dealer whom I had a long relationship with and I trusted their opinion. I called and they said they would be glad to exchange it but that they thought it would be fine because It is magnetic so it won't go anywhere. Or I could swap the old magnet over to the new filter. Since it was an hour each way I decided to swap the magnets out with the old ones. Just made me feel better that way.

gg

/ Cracked magnets on hydraulic filters......?? #10  
Kubota parts lists 2 different part #s for hyd filter for a M7040 & M8540 with approximately $10 difference in price. I think one PN is with magnet & other PN is without magnet. Magnets are also listed separately for $11.64. My M7040 WSM mentions cleaning old magnets so I think Kubota engineers & I think magnets can be reused. For nearly $24 part cost I'd reuse old cleaned magnets & send new cracked magnets back to dealer for refund.