Backhoe Cracked Transmission case between bolts attaching backhoe

/ Cracked Transmission case between bolts attaching backhoe #101  
This worries me cause my brand new NS 5310 looks to be the same axle baack there..what year and model tractor is yours? Here's hoping the home owners insurance covers it otherwise what's the point of paying insurance on a tractor! Unless it just fire and theft..
Nx4510, 2014

I have an insurance policy specially for the tractor all by itself. But yes, I totally agree, I hope it covers this kind of thing. These policy documents aren't written very well.

/ Cracked Transmission case between bolts attaching backhoe #102  
I don't think such a break is common.

@kbforester can you describe what happened with any more detail? That's one hell of a break, I've never seen one quite like it.
Sure-
Basically I've always liked the plowing with my box blade rather than the bucket. This time of year I've got lots of large snow banks that have thawed and frozen. I was pushing some fresh snow into an old bank and the sudden stop of the box pushed the force upwards, hard on the top link. Credit to the strength of the top link I guess.... ?

To be clear, the tractor was traveling backwards. That's what I mean by pushing.

Last edited:
   / Cracked Transmission case between bolts attaching backhoe #103  
Sure-
Basically I've always liked the plowing with my box blade rather than the bucket. This time of year I've got lots of large snow banks that have thawed and frozen. I was pushing some fresh snow into an old bank and the sudden stop of the box pushed the force upwards, hard on the top link. Credit to the strength of the top link I guess.... ?

To be clear, the tractor was traveling backwards. That's what I mean by pushing.

I can't imagine you were going all that quick, but I imagine there was a lot of force.

/ Cracked Transmission case between bolts attaching backhoe #104  
I can't imagine you were going all that quick, but I imagine there was a lot of force.
A lot slower than a pickup plows snow, but not crawling. I concider it normal speed. .

/ Cracked Transmission case between bolts attaching backhoe #105  
Sure-

I recall a warning for using a 3pth backhoe on these tractors which can cause this same failure that you experience. I believe that part is much stronger in the forward motion versus the backward motion. I use a grader blade for clearing the snow in my driveway. I am always cautious about hitting snow bankings with my grader blade. Hopefully that part is not too expensive to replace.

/ Cracked Transmission case between bolts attaching backhoe #107  
You have to figure the whole weight of the tractor which I believe is 5000 pounds slamming into that part.

Ayuh, that'd be a lot of force.

/ Cracked Transmission case between bolts attaching backhoe #110  
Is that available with a box blade?
I think you just have to slow down using a box blade, use low range and its not a momentum tool... If you can't push it from a crawl then getting a "run at it" is going to be tough on something!
That casting break looks a little funny at the top as well, like there was a flaw up there?