Craigmyle Farm Equipment,KY - JD5420

/ Craigmyle Farm Equipment,KY - JD5420 #1  

frankv

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 5525, Century 3045, Farmall A
I am considering this tractor, but I live in Ma. The shipping quote on it is reasonable if the tractor is in good shape.

Here is a link to it on Tractorhouse.

2002 JOHN DEERE 5420 40 HP to 99 HP For Sale At TractorHouse.com

Has anyone done business with these guys?
Does the price seem reasonable? It's in my budget and I believe the tractor will do what I need it to do.

Anyone in the area care to take a look at it for me?

I might fly out to inspect it first....maybe...

/ Craigmyle Farm Equipment,KY - JD5420 #2  
franky,
The tractor looks good but that is alot of hours on it. Do you kinow if the engine has been rebuilt or other details? Obviously it has been repainted. A new one such as the 5065E would sell for roughly 18,000 with warranty and new tires. If it were me I would put up the cash available as a down payment on a new unit and have a very small 0% loan for the difference. Repairs on a tractor with this many hours could make up the difference in cost between old and new.

/ Craigmyle Farm Equipment,KY - JD5420
Thanks Steve,

I do not believe the engine has been rebuilt. 5065E is 19k msrp and my dealer claims no room for discounts on the 5E series tractors. 3 cyl versus 4 cyl engine?

-Frank

/ Craigmyle Farm Equipment,KY - JD5420 #4  
Frank,
While the discount structure may not be quite as good as the premium tractors there should be a 10% discount. I would shop around before paying full price. While these are economy priced tractors they do not have a lot of the more expensive features found on twenty, twenty five and thirty series. There is room to come off of msrp. For reference I looked up the 5065E before I posted the first time and would offer about 17,500 +tax and see what he says, if he doesn't take it then leave your number and walk. I would then start checking around on other comparable tractors.

/ Craigmyle Farm Equipment,KY - JD5420 #5  
To be fair a 5065E and 5420 don't have a whole lot in common other than hp. The 5420 is a much heavier tractor and has much stronger hydraulics. Having said that if neither of those are a big concern of yours than yes you would be better off buying a newer tractor.

/ Craigmyle Farm Equipment,KY - JD5420 #6  
To be fair a 5065E and 5420 don't have a whole lot in common other than hp. The 5420 is a much heavier tractor and has much stronger hydraulics. Having said that if neither of those are a big concern of yours than yes you would be better off buying a newer tractor.

Gamble,
That is true, there are times when I wish I had another new wide front 3020 or 4020 since hindsight is 2020. My suggestion of the 5065E was something roughly comparable to a base 2wd tractor. My next purchase will be a 6xxx machine for larger jobs and will keep the existing smaller tractors.

/ Craigmyle Farm Equipment,KY - JD5420 #8  
We've had a 5420 in the family but it has 4wd and a FEL on it. It has been a great tractor although we don't put hardly any hours on it. I think our 2002 only has 400-500 hours.

I've put a battery in it and replaced the fuel lines from the tank to the filter/pump. Thats pretty good considering the power I demand of it when mowing.

I don't know if I could live with a 2wd model after having a 4wd...

Wondering what they used it for to put 6000 plus hours on it?

/ Craigmyle Farm Equipment,KY - JD5420 #9  
Weight is a concern as I do want to pull a chisel plow and at times a 3 bottom plow.

Here's another high hours (7000) used tractor but also MFWD and closer to home...

John Deere 5210 - LV5210S322257 - John Deere MachineFinder

Frankv,
I have to ask why you wan't to pull a chisel plow which requires a large tractor. I am no expert at vegetable farming but would think a high horsepower 4x20 or at the largest a 5000 size tractor would be a good candidate for a heavy duty tiller. It would seem the smaller tractors would be better suited for everything else too.

Frankv,
I have to ask why you wan't to pull a chisel plow which requires a large tractor. I am no expert at vegetable farming but would think a high horsepower 4x20 or at the largest a 5000 size tractor would be a good candidate for a heavy duty tiller. It would seem the smaller tractors would be better suited for everything else too.

A rototiller will create a hardpan just as a rollover plow will do. The Chisel plow will break that up if I can get deep enough. On top of that I have two properties with alot of rocks that could cause issues for my tiller and they have drainage issues.

Up until this year I used a two bottom plow and then disc or tiller. I like the idea of a Chisel Plow rather than the rollover plow to break open the soil and increase drainage. Also to incorporate residue without inverting the soil structure.

I could certainly do any of this as I have done already with a 45hp tractor, just at a slower rate and I am adding 25 acres to the mix and all of it needs to be ready to plant as soon as possible in the spring. So we want to add a second tractor to multitask and I don't want to find myself lacking HP.

I have concluded that I am going to pass on high hour/used tractors. Had my eyes on a slightly used 5325 with loader, but I just found out it sold this morning. Also looking at a McCormick C70s which is quite alot of machine for the money! The same dealer I bought my Century from now sells McCormick's. Good dealer but 75 minutes away.