Craigs list Scam??

/ Craigs list Scam?? #11  
I do print out the Ad with the price, just in case there is a question about price... never had any problems :dance1: and meet several very nice and happy people selling farm implements :cloud9: Any way, I have not sold much, just beginning to start with a few little things from around the house... and so far that has been working fine. Wife just started unloading junk from around the house on e-bay and it's going fine. Just practicing with small stuff now. :tractor::drink:

/ Craigs list Scam?? #12  
I use Craigslist daily. It is great for giving stuff away, selling, buying, and letting the public know of my services (Skilled Trade). I have gotten bush hogging jobs through CL.

99.9% of people who I have dealt with have been honest, friendly and appreciative. Only two gripes: I sometimes get calls from people trying to sell me something in violation of the instructions saying I don't want to be contacted for non-related business. I would never give even the time-of-day to someone who does not honor the Craigslist rules. The other gripe is spammers who send canned messages like, "I saw your ad on Craigslist and have a way for you to make money..." My spam filter picks out most of them.

And: Its FREE. No wonder newspapers are in financial trouble; their ad prices are way over the top.

As always, just use common sense out there.

Last edited:
   / Craigs list Scam?? #13  
I love Craigs List! I've bought more than I've sold, but I've had good luck either way. I get the occasional issue where someone doesn't respond or the item isn't what I thought it was. Overall, it beats most other options. The scammers are there. Taking offense to the scammers is like taking offense the commericals on network TV. It's just part of the deal.

The trick to Craig's List is to consider it what it is. It is not a "place to sell stuff", but it is and always has been a way for people with compatible interests to meet. If you insist on meeting and dealing face to face, you'll have better luck.

/ Craigs list Scam?? #14  
no problems buying or selling off of CL. People saying they are coming then don't is not unique to CL, had same problem with newspaper want ads as well.

/ Craigs list Scam?? #15  
I haven't used CL yet, I do need to get rid of a bunch of stuff I no longer need.

/ Craigs list Scam?? #16  
Very positive experiences for me. I've sold a double barrel wood stove, a 5' grader blade, and 3 guineas. I've bought a minivan and 25 week old chicks. And just this week I gave away 11 male chicks.

/ Craigs list Scam?? #17  
Craigs list is great - I have bought quite a bit and only sold some. I found my wheel loader and even my mobile home for my "up north" property.

/ Craigs list Scam??
Must just be me,,,,, After reading this on Tueseday I thought it is just me,, So I jumped on again, sent a couple e-mails one on a skid steer one on a log splitter, no reply on the log splitter, no big deal. But the skid steer was a scam.

I will keep looking but still no luck,,

/ Craigs list Scam?? #19  
Must just be me,,,,, After reading this on Tueseday I thought it is just me,, So I jumped on again, sent a couple e-mails one on a skid steer one on a log splitter, no reply on the log splitter, no big deal. But the skid steer was a scam.

I will keep looking but still no luck,,

Invariably, if it seems to good to be true, it just is.

Some easy clues to spot scammers...

If the location in parentheses after the item description is identical to the title of the CL region. (I.e. East Idaho, Salt Lake). Look for a city name or area more specific than the regional title (Idaho falls, North Salt Lake).

No phone number for bigger ticket items or a 800 number. I hate to burst anyone's bubble, but large national corporations with toll free numbers don't advertise on Craig's List. (I will sometimes leave my number off of the listing, but I provide it in the first direct e-mail contact I have with interested buyers.)

Any e-mail responses that do not mention the item specifically by name. Anything referring to "Your item" or "The Listing" is likely a scam.

Anyone who is not willing to meet in person. (I won't even meet until I've spoken to someone on the phone.)

I'm sure there are some other easy clues that I haven't thought of. A few weeks of perusing Craig's list will train you really quick to spot scams. They're usually pretty obvious.

/ Craigs list Scam?? #20  
i've sold some stuff, and bought some things. What I appreciate is that it's free, and real time. A picture really is worth a thousand words, whether you're buying or selling.

If I post an ad I expect the first onslaught of spam; but it dies down and te serious buyers follow.