Craigslist Scam I can't figure out

/ Craigslist Scam I can't figure out #11  
Use Internet Explorer to 'View Source' on the email. Then locate the I.P. address of the sender or sender server. Then take this to Google and find out the country and city of origin. A LOT are from Moscow, Russia.

We have a problem here in Michigan where the Secretary of State's office sells the email addresses of people who renew their plates and licenses on-line to anyone who wants them. I just renewed and guess what: the IRS needs some money, UPS has a package to deliver needing shipping charges paid in advance, the USPS also has a mystery package for me, 'Feb-Ex' needs some shipping charges paid and 'PayPail' also has some account issue (just click on the link). Last year I went to the S.O.S. office for a direct transaction and I escaped all these scams. The 2 years previous, the same type of scams were coming in.

Sometimes you will see an e-mail address in the source. When I do, I have my Matlab server send 10 million e-mails to them asking them to beg for their life, in Portugese. The very last one I got originated in Brazil. This takes a while but sure is satisfying. (I have the night shift computer do it)...
Your post was interesting. I renewed our truck plates around 2 weeks ago. I received a letter in the mail this morning telling me that 8.2 million dollars was waiting for me in a Japanese bank. The letter did not ask me to send any money, but the letter ask me send them an e-mail and perhaps arrange a meeting in the U.K. I have heard of these scams and have even seen documentaries on TV about these scams. I find it odd that I received this letter after renewing my truck tags only two weeks ago. The letter was addressed to my Wife and my first name was incorrect. I have been aware of these scams for many years, but I certainly hope that the State of N.C. is not selling any info in regards to our private info.

/ Craigslist Scam I can't figure out #12  
These scams are really getting old.When-o-when is the US Attorneys off ice going to after these people.:(

When the US Attorneys stop engaging in their own scams.

/ Craigslist Scam I can't figure out #13  
First off, don't ever give your email address on CR or use their supposedly blind email response system. Always use your phone number but do not use all digits. Use something like (555) 1 2 three - 4 5 6 seven.

Scammers will not take the time to chase this type of lead. Too many other ads that can be auto responded to with the exact wording they sent to you. They need to hit 10,000 ads to get one good hit. No scammer is willing to do the leg work.

Also, automated bots cannot pick up your phone number.

/ Craigslist Scam I can't figure out #14  
First off, don't ever give your email address on CR or use their supposedly blind email response system. Always use your phone number but do not use all digits. Use something like (555) 1 2 three - 4 5 6 seven.

Scammers will not take the time to chase this type of lead. Too many other ads that can be auto responded to with the exact wording they sent to you. They need to hit 10,000 ads to get one good hit. No scammer is willing to do the leg work.

Also, automated bots cannot pick up your phone number.

I will continue to use their blind email response system. I think I am knowledgeable enough to not respond to the scammers. I hate being phoned an hour after I go to sleep or an hour before it's time for me to wake up by someone with dumb questions about the item I have listed.

/ Craigslist Scam I can't figure out #15  
Gotta love those scams, its unbelievable how many are out there. The thing that amazes me is that they even do it on very small items. i had a piece of furniture for sale for $30 and they wanted to send me a $40 check and have me send back the difference... lotta work for $10.

I had a new one the other day where the person sent a semi normal email about an item, then said they couldn't buy it because their sister got in a car accident, then went on to tell me how much money their sister was making at a 'work from home' job and gave me a link to the special program she was using. It seemed like a long way to go to send me a spam email.

/ Craigslist Scam I can't figure out #16  
I will continue to use their blind email response system. I think I am knowledgeable enough to not respond to the scammers. I hate being phoned an hour after I go to sleep or an hour before it's time for me to wake up by someone with dumb questions about the item I have listed.
Exactly, I use the anonymised email system and if someone wants to talk to me, they can give me their phone number and I will call them.

Aaron Z

/ Craigslist Scam I can't figure out #17  
I had a new one the other day where the person sent a semi normal email about an item, then said they couldn't buy it because their sister got in a car accident, then went on to tell me how much money their sister was making at a 'work from home' job and gave me a link to the special program she was using. It seemed like a long way to go to send me a spam email.

I got that same email. TWICE!

/ Craigslist Scam I can't figure out #18  
This one in reply to a Craigslist ad I put in with the price in it: "Hello, i will like to know if this goods still for sale and what is the price ?"
It is easy to determine that it was not sent by an American. I don't answer these because then they have your email address.

I tried listing a mattress last month, and other than 1 or 2 local replies,
every time i listed the item i got those anonymous foreign sounding
responses, and i ignored them. Like you say, legit email addresses
are a hot commodity and people make a lot of money collecting them
for anybody and everybody.

i hate the thought of listing my cell phone number though, so i am
gunshy about listing anything at this point.

/ Craigslist Scam I can't figure out #19  
The sad part is that some people fall for these scams so they keep on doing it.

that really makes ya wonder.. don't it. ??? :( :(

and remember.. those people that fall for it.. they breed and vote too.. :( :( :( :(

soundguy

/ Craigslist Scam I can't figure out #20  
Exactly, I use the anonymised email system and if someone wants to talk to me, they can give me their phone number and I will call them.

Aaron Z

heck.. I hate the adds that ONLY list tel #'s.

there are many times I'm in a place i simply can't call from.. but CAN email from.

soundguy