Crane with a thumb?

/ Crane with a thumb? #1  

bcp

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2360
Saw a photo today, and never saw anything like it before. Now I'm having visions of making something new. But what would I use it for?

Anyone know what the proper name is for it?

/ Crane with a thumb? #2  
.I am pretty sure that is a wrecker.
Bill

/ Crane with a thumb? #3  
Looks like a crane with a stabilizer thumb to steady the load.

/ Crane with a thumb? #4  
.I am pretty sure that is a wrecker.
Bill

You are spot on.....this is just a king size wrecker....they are just using the extension boom/winch to hoist the load with the wheel lift with the fly boom removed to stabilize the rest.....

Funny how these big rigs drive by us all the time on the interstate but they look different when in use......

These rigs are used all the time for Large Towing and recovery work......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXlhyyvsmq4&feature=related

Last edited:
   / Crane with a thumb? #5  
Yes it is one of those tow truck that would help out an 18 wheeler. The "thumb" is the part that would lift up the truck so it can be towed. It just would not lift it quite so high.

/ Crane with a thumb?
I knew it was a tow truck for heavy trucks. But I've never seen one that appeared to have those capabilities, just looking at one towing a truck down the highway. The length of the boom and the flexibility of the wheel lift are a surprise. Concealed carry of an implement of mass lifting.

Bruce

/ Crane with a thumb? #7  
Those things are awsome, we got one in this area that can rotate to the side similar to a crane, it also has 2 plates with teeth that get chained to the rear bumper and the rear wheels roll onto the plates and basiclly provide incredible traction for winching. I watched it working a couple of weeks ago and I was impressed. They say they get $500 just to fire it up, talk about putting salt on the would, its bad enough you need a wrecker.

/ Crane with a thumb? #8  
Those things are awsome, we got one in this area that can rotate to the side similar to a crane, it also has 2 plates with teeth that get chained to the rear bumper and the rear wheels roll onto the plates and basiclly provide incredible traction for winching. I watched it working a couple of weeks ago and I was impressed. They say they get $500 just to fire it up, talk about putting salt on the would, its bad enough you need a wrecker.

I work for a concrete company and when a mixer gets burried I get to go inspect the situation and decide whether a wrecker is needed or whether we can pull it out our selves.We are pretty good at getting them out.So when we do need a wrecker it usually takes at least 2. The right person at the controlls makes all the difference. When I call for a wrecker they usuall send out 2 rotators. The bill is usually several grand but a new mixer is about 180K so it is money well spent.
Bill

/ Crane with a thumb? #9  
a buddy built one using a surplus military rotating-extending crane he bought at an auction. a beautiful machine he mounted on a tri-axle Peterbilt. that thing will lift any thing in the ditch and put it back on the road. wish i had pictures. it is a thing of beauty.

/ Crane with a thumb? #10  
Yeah you may think it's salt in the wound until you make a couple of payments on one of the big rotators. Some are near 1/2 a million bucks.