Crawfish--talk about them here

/ Crawfish--talk about them here #51  
I'd certainly rather have crawfish from Louisiana, or east Texas, but what do you know that makes you think the ones from China are nasty? Of course I've never asked about the source of their supply, but now I'd suspect the restaurants are also using crawfish from China.

They're just very fishy and often soft.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Crawfish--talk about them here #52  
They're just very fishy and often soft.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

Also I have seen videos of the ponds in Asia they raise the fish and crawfish in...nasty ponds with sewage etc....they showed it on TV...discovery or some channel...as a result we don't buy any fish from any Asia country...not even ocean caught...we saw a video exposing conditions on the Asia factor fishing boats as well...Yuk !

/ Crawfish--talk about them here #53  
Well, I haven't had any crawsfish from anywhere except Texas and Louisiana unless the ones I've gotten in restaurants were not from those places. But I have bought both "farm raised" and "wild caught" fish from Asia, and have had no reason to complain about taste or quality. Naturally, I'd prefer USA products, but it's getting harder and harder to even find such, even if you're willing to pay a lot more.

/ Crawfish--talk about them here #54  
I believe that all Chinese crawfish imported here are peeled, frozen crawfish and not live crawfish like we consume here boiled. These frozen crawfish are used in recipes like gumbo, etouffee, stews and toppings for fish dishes where there are so many other tastes and seasonings that they are hard to tell from fresh crawfish.
Yesterday I went to the Westwego crawfish cook off where a dozen different competitors competed to see who could cook the best crawfish and you got to eat all you wanted. My next door neighbors won the contest and I have had the honor of attending their crawfish boils many times a year. :licking:

/ Crawfish--talk about them here #55  
Of course I've been to a few crawfish boils and love'em, but I haven't had any crawfish the last 10 years except in 3 or 4 different restaurants in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area.

/ Crawfish--talk about them here #56  
Anyone raised Crayfish in their pond? I have a 1/2 acre pond that seems to be perfect habitat but no crayfish. Several different species are found in Georgia and the DNR does not have any regulations concerning introducing them into watershed. Would I just buy a couple hundred from an online source and hope the live and reproduce or is there more to consider?

I received this answer to my question from a Georgia PHd who has researched the local crayfish species.

Crayfishes of Georgia | Georgia College

I would personally rather you not introduce any crayfishes into Georgia waters that are not native to our state. The biggest threat facing crayfishes is the introduction on non-native species. Those guys you get on the internet are native to Louisiana, Mississippi, Arkansas, area. They will get out of your pond and into the local waterway. I would recommend buying a few minnow traps or fish traps and set them out in a creek near you and try catching some of the local species. The local crayfish will do as well in the pond as any you could buy on the internet.

One thing to consider that I haven't researched much is the life history characteristics of the Red Swamp Crawfish (the one you can order). During certain times of the year, this species burrows in the ground. I wonder if you had enough that your dam could be compromised. Also, I don't if you want them for your fish, or for eating. The adult red swamps will eat fish eggs as well (and a bream won't be able to eat them). Anyway, some things to consider. Take care.

Chris
Christopher E. Skelton, Ph.D
Professor
Graduate Coordinator
Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences
Georgia College & State University
Milledgeville, GA 31061
478-445-2440

/ Crawfish--talk about them here #57  
I received this answer to my question from a Georgia PHd who has researched the local crayfish species.

Crayfishes of Georgia | Georgia College

I would personally rather you not introduce any crayfishes into Georgia waters that are not native to our state. The biggest threat facing crayfishes is the introduction on non-native species. Those guys you get on the internet are native to Louisiana, Mississippi, Arkansas, area. They will get out of your pond and into the local waterway. I would recommend buying a few minnow traps or fish traps and set them out in a creek near you and try catching some of the local species. The local crayfish will do as well in the pond as any you could buy on the internet.

One thing to consider that I haven't researched much is the life history characteristics of the Red Swamp Crawfish (the one you can order). During certain times of the year, this species burrows in the ground. I wonder if you had enough that your dam could be compromised. Also, I don't if you want them for your fish, or for eating. The adult red swamps will eat fish eggs as well (and a bream won't be able to eat them). Anyway, some things to consider. Take care.

Chris
Christopher E. Skelton, Ph.D
Professor
Graduate Coordinator
Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences
Georgia College & State University
Milledgeville, GA 31061
478-445-2440

Wow ! Thanks for posting that and finding that info....I have two creeks and a river close to me...I will set out two crawfish traps one in each and see how I do...if no one steal my traps...never know...but thanks again ..great to know.