crawler to assist compact tractor

/ crawler to assist compact tractor #1  

Daniel

Tractor
B2710 KUBOTA. LA401 loader,bush hog rotery mower/box blade. King Kutter tiller,landscape rake,back blade,carryall,boom. homemade plow @ middlebuster,etc. IH TD14 dozer for rough work
curious if anyone has bought larger equipment after buying a compact tractor. we found that after buying the B2710,tiller,brush hog,box blade,etc., that there was a need for something bigger to move stumps and dirt. found a deal on a I.H. TD-14A crawler. anyone out there have one? have put 25 hours on it this week pushing stumps and it sure saves on the little kubota.

/ crawler to assist compact tractor #2  
I purchased an old Cat 977H 3 years ago, just to do the things you mentioned, and also to build a lake. So far, I've opened up several old logging trails, cut a 1000' driveway, and have cleared a couple acres of trees. Each has it's own purpose, as the 977 will push over any tree, or stump, you come across. I've tried to remove several smaller stumps with my 4310, and its too much time/work. I just bring out the Cat, tip the bucket, and let the teeth rip up the ground along with the stumps. It makes easy work to then come along with a box blade, rake, etc, and level, or clear things out. I've also tried moving some big stumps with the 4310, and could hardly even move them. Just picked them up with the 977, and dumped them in a ravine. I plan on putting in the lake, appr 2-3 acres, in Sept-Oct. Ya can never have enough tools or equipment!

/ crawler to assist compact tractor #3  
Wiz, how big is that old Cat? Are you planning to put in your lake with it? I would like to put in another pond in the 2 acre size range. I had one put in a few years back and it took a D6 and a D5 the better portion of a week to finish roughing it in. It is about 1.2 acres.
Now a freind of mine has a D5 LGP (older) and he wants to sell it. I'm thinking of buying it to put in the pond and then sell it. Risky business considering the cost of parts and service. He's asking around $10k but I think I can convince him to sell for less if I include a case or two of beer./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ crawler to assist compact tractor #4  
The 'ol Cat is pretty big, weighing approximately 44,000 lbs. It is not extremely wide, 8 ft. and it was hauled down to my property on a flatbed, without needing any special permits. It has a fairly large bucket. The machine is considerably larger than a Cat 955, if thats any help. I planned to do the entire lake myself, and figured it would take some time, as I will have to haul dirt from the high side, to the low side to build the dam. My neighbor and his boys just got a new Case dozer last fall, so I plan on asking them to help. It's a medium size, but I don't remember the model. With both of us working, I would hope to finish in a couple of days. I intend to offer him the hay off of my field, since he's got about 40-50 black Angus. You're right about the cost of parts, and I'm hoping not to encounter any problems, as the undercarriage is about 55%, and I don't use it that much. In this area I've seen ads for excavating ponds for about $9000 per acre, so even if something breaks, it is still cheaper to do yourself. Along with the lake, I need to clear about another acre, and thats it for the big 'ol Cat.

/ crawler to assist compact tractor #5  
Installing a pond

Anyone care to share what is involved with installing a pond? I'd like to put one on my property, but other than digging a hole and letting the water run in, not sure what else I might need to do? Any thoughts anyone?

/ crawler to assist compact tractor #6  
Re: Installing a pond

I'd do a web search and maybe an amazon search. There are quite a few titles around, and quite a bit of interest in ponds and wet lands for water purification. My wife has a few books, but not very detailed. If you don't find anything, I'll post some titles.

As I understand, you have to have a fairly impervious liner for most soils--can be clay, but plastic is common. Basically, you have to keep the water from running out as well running in. There has to be water source that's at least as great as the loss.

I also imagine that local and state regs apply. Sizable ponds probably require permits. I'd sure check the permit thing. Be a real problem to dig a big hole and then have to fill it up.

/ crawler to assist compact tractor #7  
Re: Installing a pond

I was fortunate enough to hit grey clay when excavating my pond. This was used to line the pond and makes it able to hold water without leaking. Some, I have heard, have to truck in clay to line their pond with. This would be the only thing that would be essential, that you make it water tight. Top soil will not hold the water, obviously.
BTW, Wiz, the Cat D6 is about 22 tons give or take 3 tons./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif